Sign in to follow this  
tonywob

Interesting Video and setup

Here's a great video which shows a quick comparison of a circuit in P3D and X-Plane 11 (with a surprise :-)).

Both look very realistic I think, but the comments about the flight models are certainly interesting.

• Upvote 5

This confirms flying on rails !

Nice surprise ending !

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

I do not know if there is an issue on his settings, p3d model or the a2a 172 simulation itself but he required almost 45 degree of yoke input for turns (i.e. 08:32 turning to crosswind)

This is ridiculous, on the real thing it takes just some pressure and tiny movement on the yoke to roll the aircraft.

Another topic that raised my attention is the turn coordinator ball, it seems not to move on p3d/a2a during the turns, xp seems to do a much better job while still a bit stiff compared to the real thing.

Manuel Merelles

Love the surprise ending, and a well-flown recovery. I didn't see a bird strike (which could happen even with failures off, if you don't edit the .prf file for random deer and birds). That's a known bug which they'll fix. So I'm guessing it might have been a glitch with his controller setups.

I know flight model comparisons can be contentious, but he seems to be referring to what I've always liked about X-Plane -- the feeling of responsiveness and "buoyancy" in the air. Especially with light GA planes.

One nitpick: He should have had world object shadows off for a better frame rate comparison, and also because at one point he was getting close to 20 fps. You don't ever want to skirt with that limit if you can help it, because below that number is where X-Plane starts messing with accurate timing values in an effort to keep the frame rate flyable.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Can I get a summary?  I don't have time to watch a 30-minute video.

With the disclaimer that I'm an X-Plane fan, and a P3D fan might find a different tilt, the comparison went something like this:

• X-Plane loads much faster than P3D.
  • Both sims support this guys elaborate 3-monitor and panel home pit, with XP11 being easier to configure with fewer accessory plugins needed.
  • Orbx trees better than X-Plane's trees.
  • X-Plane flight model better (specifically, the feel of the default XP11 172 vs. A2A 172 in P3D).
  • X-Plane has better frame rate at roughly the same settings. A bit confusing in this video because that conclusion was extrapolated from similar frames with shadows off in P3D and shadows on in XP11, and possible extra overhead from XEnviro in XP11.
  • Orbx individual airports better, but XP11 airports at least as good as Orbx area packages with free airports and user-made orthos at no cost.
  • Upvote 3

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I know flight model comparisons can be contentious

Best comment in this thread so far. :wink:

I still think that neither sim has an edge on flight modeling, given a high frame rate and a skilled developer.

Neat video though. I'd love to have his pit, mine is far more 'crude' - mostly stemming though from the fact that I reassemble mine from yoke to stick to heli to whatever on a whim, and a framework of 2X4's works well for that.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

He's comparing A2A to X-Plane's default 172, good enough for me. Don't forget, he was a P3D user not that long ago. He hasn't even gotten a chance to try the AirfoilLabs 172 yet.

• Upvote 1

He hasn't even gotten a chance to try the AirfoilLabs 172 yet.

Is that really any better for flight dynamics? I find that I prefer the default at the moment as it is lighter weight and just feels better, and that's the first time I've ever said that about any default aircraft.

On a side note, I'm really enjoying this guy's channel, his videos are informative and great to watch.

• Upvote 1

Nice setup. Downloading the Bonner Ferry Orthos looks good. I do like the XP11 172 but let's not debate over as it will not have any end.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I do like the XP11 172 but let's not debate over as it will not have any end.

My cessna is better than yours  :Party:

My cessna is better than yours  :Party:

you wanna race ? :aggressive:

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Is that really any better for flight dynamics?

I haven't tested the default 172, so it's not possible for me to compare the two. I've heard only good things about the default, I probably should give it a go. The biggest difference for me is that the airfoilLabs has it's own yoke sensitivity settings that override X-Plane's. Works nicely with Iris Dynamics yoke and XPForce software.

Guest Mik75

Very interesting comparison, and a beautiful setup!

Thanks a lot for sharing!