Sign in to follow this  
mcdonoughdr

Aircraft Bouncing On Landing (Autoland)

Hi everyone!

I've done two or three flights with the 747 now and everything goes great until landing. I configure everything correct with flying an ILS and as I'm coming into land, I see "LAND 3" and all is well, however my last two flights the touchdown has been so rough that I've bounced back into the air and land half way down the runway with landing rates over 600! Not sure why it's doing this considering everything is set up and configured properly... As in flaps set, gear down, flaps selected, and the aircraft doing a normal autoland.  Any ideas on why it bounces so crazy on landing?

David McDonough

2 questions. Are you sure you're using the proper approach speed for your weight and flap setting? Do you have the speedbrake armed for landing? 

Pete Locascio

2 questions. Are you sure you're using the proper approach speed for your weight and flap setting? Do you have the speedbrake armed for landing? 

Yes, and Yes

Just finished an autoland into snowy Vancouver. Visibility was crap.

Anyway, at 252.4 tonne (556,446 lb) with f30 vref 144kts + 5kt wind additive, autoland did the job perfectly.

Something other than the airplane is wrong.

Brian Nellis

What is it with all of the autolands? Pretty rare out in the wild.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

You must be new to simming lol.

You'd think wouldn't you? lol

Only 25 years, but apparently the desire to autoland everything never gets old. hehe

Biggles never used autoland :smile:

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

checked the wx for yvr lately? That's why...

And actually, the airplane + crew need to do autolands periodically to remain current. So not as rare as you make it out to be.

Brian Nellis

There are some users who engage AP at the earliest possible moment and then don't want to drive it again manually until the taxi in. A bit of a waste, but its up to them. I tend to try to fly manually till at least 10,000ft (incidentally, also not that common in real life) and then take over from the AP just as we are about to intercept the LOC, or possibly a tad before that. If on vatsim and really busy, I may let it capture for me and then take over.

Sometimes for fun on a shorter flight, I have flown the whole damn thing manually, but it is tiring and you just can't keep the accuracy that the AP can.

hecked the wx for yvr lately? That's why...

Haha, sure I have.  I haven't seen or checked the logs on the RVR's dropping below 6000 there in some time, it certainly hasn't been close to Cat II or III.  Currency is one thing, and even with those they are still pretty rare.

There are some users who engage AP at the earliest possible moment and then don't want to drive it again manually until the taxi in.

Yeah I suppose you're right. Each to his own I guess.

Yeah, I was in cloud/snow/whatever FSX was trying and failing to simulate at the time, all the way down.

At 400'ra the alsf2 sequencers barely came to view and some 0.3nm--0.6nm later the threshold bar came to view. Finally had the minima at cat2 dh and landed using autoland.

I didn't plan on using autoland, and having used the fsx as16 inflight menu to check wx prior to tod, nothing suggested things were as bad as they were. Just a bit of scattered cloud at 500ft, all else reported normal-ish, considering current northern climate.

So I planned a manual landing but still reviewed low vis procs and set cat2 minimums, in addition to cat1 da (normal sop for me). Glad I did all of this.

Point of all this is, autoland/autopilot is a tool. Only a fool would dismiss the tool, especially when said fool needs the tool the most but is too arrogant to use it (not calling anyone arrogant, just saying).

I wish there were some global aviation weather app for flight simmers. Maybe that's a $ idea for someone who knows how to code.

Brian Nellis

EZDok is absolutely the culprit, unless you have their shake effects disabled. They don't simply shake the model in reaction to the wind/weather like we do. They add in a bunch of air effects to shake the plane. Since planes react to the air around them, I'm sure you can see the issue with this method.

Kyle Rodgers