Sign in to follow this  
regis9

KLM9865, KORD-KMHV Boneyard Flight

I was browsing flightaware looking for active B744 flights that I could simulate tonight and I came across KLM9865, which ealier flew EHAM-KORD and then flew KORD-KMHV.  I'm assuming this is a retirement flight heading for the boneyard, which i've never simulated before, so it was an easy choice as my simulated flight for the evening.  

Parked on the ramp at KORD.  I wasn't quite sure where this should be parked, or frankly why they stopped at KORD, I would think an empty B744 could fly non-stop EHAM-KMHV?  So I started off at a cargo ramp.

Ww15X4h.jpg

We're very light of course for this ferry flight, only 36,000kg of fuel and no pax or cargo, so our v-speeds are accordingly low...not too often you'll see these in a 744!  My engine derate setting was TO2 +73*

7QcbO1T.jpg

We accelerate down the runway for a short take off roll and rotate for this Queen's final flight.

M73zhKU.jpg

Cruising over the Midwest at FL430, skies are starting to clear.  We were climbing at vertical speeds of >4500ft/minute for much of the climb.  I eventually step climbed to FL450...just because I could and I've never maxed out the 744's service ceiling before.

9DzbciH.jpg

After an uneventful cruise we are descending over the desert

3yGYAQl.jpg

KMHV is very close to KEDW...I'm sure the Air Force will be cool with me flying over the base on approach, no?

udNsvrB.jpg

Giving the golfers something to look at on approach...retirees on the course, check out a soon to be retiree in the sky!

Y3kVN8V.jpg

Short final for retirement

vP2rPlN.jpg

Touchdown!

xiN31jM.jpg

After a long and productive career, PH-BFN powers down for the last time, and gets ready for a retirement baking in the California sun.

me7RCbT.jpg

zc4ja23.jpg

I have to say, flying a mostly empty 747 to her retirement was certainly a different flight than the norm!  

Addons: PMDG B747 QOTSII

Origin: FSDT KORD

Destination: ORBX Southern California

Wx/Clouds: AS16/ASCA

Thanks for viewing.

• Upvote 2

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Great flight with a sad ending  :sad:  Over a decade ago such a well-maintained plane would have easily found further use in a country that cannot afford to buy them new. Now nobody wants a four-engined plane anymore

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Nice flight. This is exactly what I like to see for ideas in being able to replicate a real world journey in the same aircraft.

I haven't purchased the new Queen yet. I'll leave it a few weeks for PMDG to iron out any glitches in the launch package. Are the motorised access stairs included in the new 747 package?    

Bernard Walford

Thanks! I have to admit I felt a bit sad when I switched off the batteries and fully powered her down for the last time.

In terms of the stairs, are those built in stairs to reach the ground?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Sorry, if I wasn't clear. On your last screenshot of the parked 747 there are some stairs leading down from the doorway marked with the PMDG logo on the side. How did you get these to appear? I haven't seen these before (other than a commercial package like GSX etc) and wondered if they were included in the PMDG base package for the new 747.

Bernard Walford

Sorry, if I wasn't clear. On your last screenshot of the parked 747 there are some stairs leading down from the doorway marked with the PMDG logo on the side. How did you get these to appear? I haven't seen these before (other than a commercial package like GSX etc) and wondered if they were included in the PMDG base package for the new 747.

It is Bernard. Along with a fuelling truck, air cart, power cart, baggage trucks and carts, honey wagon, potable water truck, etc.

Great flight Dave! Awesome idea.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Fantastic Pics and Story,Sad to see Her go.I've stared up at Her many of Times Lumbering in and out of Chicago :smile:  

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

The PMDG Boeing 747-400 just got released and already you're flying the poor thing to the desert? Oh, dear. That's not good at all. Nice screenshots, though.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

There's plenty more of them for me to keep flying in revenue service :)

Dave

..... Now nobody wants a four-engined plane anymore

There's plenty of AVSIM members who do want a 4 engined plane, in fact plenty of us who'd like ANY serviceable aeroplane in the real world, but I fully understand what you meant by that comment. :)

An interesting flight - thanks for sharing. :cool:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)