Sign in to follow this  
Copper.

International ATIS

Hello

The 747 is an airplane that traverses the world, and so I'm wondering if there is one single place where I can get reliable, current ATIS for the world.

If not, can somebody recommend where to get ATIS for the US, Canada, EU and UK.

Thank you.

Brian Nellis

Thank you, though I'm in need of atis more than metar. Pfpx/as16 do a good job of most things but fails miserably sometimes, as I just discovered for the millionth time.

Brian Nellis

http://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/index.html

This is a good site. You can change the language. The METARS and TAFS are displayed in real time i.e. there is no delay from the time the forecast is issued. As said you won't get ATIS because that contains more specific information. However you can easily work that out yourself in terms of runway use.

Imagine that you are a Captain driving to "work". You would almost certainly have picked up the current METAR/TAF for your origin at least before you set off for the airport so the ATIS should not take you by surprise.

Thank you. You're right. The wx for yvr (and all my alternates for that matter... yikes!) as far as pfpx and as16 were concerned wasn't anything to be concerned about for the ETA in which i'd intended to land, thats includes the hours before and after the ETA/ATA. aaaaah flight simulator! It has it's limits

Brian Nellis

Do keep in mind, though, that ATIS is actually human driven, even if it's the lovely computer voice we're all used to. Controlling an airfield is driven by SOPs, but also operational advantage. As an example, at IAD, you can land a TON of airplanes in the South config (landing on the 19s - relatively efficiently, even with the somewhat remote 19R, since the taxiway is on the south end only). If the wind is from the north at 6, but I have a bunch of inbound traffic - particularly off of the NATs (which would prefer a South config since they arrive from the NE) - I may use the escape clause of just about every control facility SOP: except in cases where operational advantage dictates otherwise. Normally, if the wind is above 5 knots from the north, you're going to be in a North config (landing on the 1s), but with that last little bit, I can either hang onto, or switch to a South config to get those airplanes in, and then switch to North when the traffic dies back down. On the flipside, if the weather gets low enough, DCA is forced into a North config, since the ILS is only available for Runway 1. Wind is from the south at 10 knots and you can't land with more than a tailwind of 7 knots on that runway? Guess you're going somewhere else for a bit.

Additionally, there is facility interplay. Continuing with the IAD example, IAD and DCA have a config dependency (or did - it's been a while since I've worked with them directly). When DCA went to one of their configs (I think it was South config), IAD was forced into South config as well due to traffic flows. Similar dependencies exist in the NY and Chicago areas, and I'm sure there are more. This is all dictated by SOP/LOA, and that information is not readily available to the public (even pilots/crews/dispatchers, who have a little better access to such things). This may change in the near future given a few projects in the FAA sphere, but that obviously isn't worldwide.

As a final note, approaches may also be mixed. An example of this would be the ILS to one runway, with the GPS to another in an effort to allow proper separation, or additional volume in a situation where two ILSs would not be available, or would not offer the proper separation (ILS 13L, RNAV RNP 13R at JFK; ILS 28L, RNAV RNP 28R at SFO; etc.).

Knowing that ATIS info includes not only weather, but expected approaches related to the airport config, there really isn't a program out there that is going to get this right without human interaction. There are too many variables, and too many external dependencies for this to exist in a neat little program. So far, despite D-ATIS existing, it hasn't really gotten too far out into the public apart from calling the facility or listening on freq.

Kyle Rodgers

Lots to think about, thank you!

And that's exactly what I want, the real world ATIS as it is from the professionals who take into account all those things.

I know such a capability exists, but I guess it costs $ and like you said, not publicly available. We are very fortunate where I am. We can buy an app and have ATIS and more, or we can login to a website for free, and have that information which is usable for real flying.

Brian Nellis