Sign in to follow this  

US Claims Service - Real?

We got a letter from the US Claims Service. It seems very legitimate... they have all of our info correct, and they are saying that we have some $700 that is unclaimed. Does anyone know if this is a scam or if it is an actual claims service?

Probably the way to tell is what sort of information they require from you. I would imagine since they already know you are due some amount they should not ask for you social security #. Your mailing address should be enough to send you a check. Also check on the web.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

I agree with Michal, just tell them to send you the check.If you suspect it is a scam, contact the USPS here:USPS Fraud:http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/welcome.htmFrom there you can file a complaint, if you suspect something.Thanks for asking the question here, I don't think the USPS has Forums. ;-)Hope This helps,Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Do a fast Google on US Claims Service - I think that will answer your question. The short version is that it's a scam.DJ

Thanks guys... after some researching I found my way to an official government website that allows you to search for unclaimed assets... found it on there and started processing the paperwork. It is legitamite, but we'd rather go direct to the gov. to make the claim rather than pay some claim service $50+ to do it for us. Thanks again.

Good idea. Most such services are mainly leeches, taking your money for something you could easily do yourself rather quickly.At least in the US you're likely not bothered overmuch with the torrent of (mostly fraudulent) companies offering "guaranteed" greencards and H1 visa which flood my inbox during the last few months of every year.

Glad you researched it rather than just letting it drop as another scam. Here's a good link:http://www.unclaimed.orgIt lists means of searching for unclaimed property in the various states. Sorry to say, bottom feeder firms have access to the same sources and will sometimes "out of the goodness of their hearts" alert you to unclaimed property which for a fee, giving up your firstborn, or giving up enough personal info to build someone a new identity, offer to obtain your unclaimed property/assets/etc....You were smart both to ask here, and to follow-up-John

then again there are probably legitimate services among them... Problem is of course how to weed out the chaff.For example, there's one company here that's made a business of taking care of all the paperwork companies have to go through to get subsidies for hiring partially disabled workers.Each year tens of millions of Euros of such subsidies go unclaimed because the companies either don't know the subsidies are available or get discouraged by the masses of forms and stuff they have to send in.This company decided to step in and take care of all that for a modest share in the proceeds, no cure no pay. Even if they get only 1% they could end up making millions.