Sign in to follow this  
hbarkhof

Flak software and experience ?

Paul "Gypsy Baron" Strogen has some years ago written some effects for fsx thats simulates antiaircraft artillery

when flying over an area were this artillery is placed. I would like to see those effects in an Animation

I'm making for the Dutch "end of WWII"-comite.

you can see it here :

I have the Software for it but I can't see were those artillery has been place.

Anyone ?

Thanks.

Henk.

Hi Henk - not sure what question you are asking.

If it's where do you instal the FLAK package files, if you have the full package, the readme text file guides you through the instal and where to place the files.

On the other hand if you are asking where the flak effects are located geographically, the package incudes maps showing where the flak positions are placed I think Paul pretty much covered all the major cities of northern mainland Europe as well as the coast.

Note that the flak effects are just that - aerial effects. Don't expect to see actual flak positions on the ground.

Did you try to contact Paul (Gypsy Baron) directly ? I found him to be very helpful.

Thanks for reply , Dick.

I do see an Europe.jpg with red spots of the flak locations. I do not have exact locations. I flew the coastline from south to north of Holland but no flak effects. In the readme it is mentioned that you should be within appr. 1 nm range of a flak. Maybe it's a setting to activate? Scenery is loaded.

I also can not find an email of Paul even not sure if he is still around.

Henk.

Yes - that's the map I meant.

I do recall that when I first installed the package I didn't see any flak either.  I contacted Paul, and it turned out most of the effects didn't trigger unless you were above about 8-10,000 ft. Though I think Paul fixed that later so the effects triggered from ground level.

The other thing to try is to crank up your scenery complexity and special effects detail settings in FSX settings. That may make a difference.

Then try flying  over Frankfurt, Bremen or Berlin. The flak is pretty hot there ! If you don't see any flak then something definitely not right.

I contacted Paul as Gypsy Baron via PM over at the Sim Outhouse forum. Looks like he's still active over there.

Hi Dick ,

I flew above Bremen at about 7000 ft. Nothing there.

Do you know where at Bremen? North , south ?

I will try your suggestion to crank up scenery complexity.

Maybe that helps.

Thanks for trying to help.

Henk.

You may have to go higher. I seem to recall flak started around 7800ft. Yu may be just below it. Suggest you fly at 10,000 to be sure.

(Seems weird telling someone to fly into flak :smile:)

I will try this.

Haha , that is true :-)

I heard that it needs accelaration. You know if that is true ? I have fsx + sp1 + sp2.

Henk.

I will try this.

Haha , that is true :-)

I heard that it needs accelaration. You know if that is true ? I have fsx + sp1 + sp2.

Henk.

If you would like some "real" flak - the kind that can damage you or take you down - you don't have that much longer to wait.

FSCaptain 1.8 will contain a scripting engine and the ability to place SimObjects that can shoot bullets, tracers, flak, and IR guided missiles at the user.  It will also work seamlessly to weaponize SimObjects from other packages like FSX@War (which was used to place the objects in the video).

The video will tell you much more.  It doesn't show actual flak but that's just because I flew around and not over the positions with the ZPU-37s.  Because I wanted to stay alive :)

Dutch
  • Upvote 1

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

Hi Folks

I would be really interested in this FLAK package. Can anyone point me to where I can download it.

As always, many thanks

Andy

I couldn't find it on the AVSIM library. As far as I know it's only available on Sim Outhouse. Search on "Flak_Package_V2.0".

The only place I saw it was in a post by Gypsy Baron giving a link. The link is dead at SOH.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool: