Sign in to follow this  
hbarkhof

Flak software and experience ?

I'm just in the process of training up for the Dambusters raid, with a nice Lanc, some RAF Scampton software and the Derwent dam as well as the target Mohne, Sorpe and Eder dams. Still,learning how to fly the Lanc. Just installed Flak, and by god does it do the job! What a great add on!

I'm just in the process of training up for the Dambusters raid, with a nice Lanc, some RAF Scampton software and the Derwent dam as well as the target Mohne, Sorpe and Eder dams. Still,learning how to fly the Lanc. Just installed Flak, and by god does it do the job! What a great add on!

Paul,

The 91st Bombarment Group flies that mission pretty much every year.

I created some additional low level FLAK and AAA with tracers to 'protect'

a couple of the dams. I forget which now, and I am 'down under' for a couple

of weeks and on my laptop so I may not be able to pull out the files and make

them available. I'll look into this a bit later.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

Paul, I would really, really appreciate those extra effects! I have a while, yet, I have yet to learn to navigate at 100 feet by moonlight, so have lots of occupy me! I will definately be in touch in a couple of weeks (to jog your memory!) When you say 'down under', do you mean Oz?

Paul,

The 91st Bombarment Group flies that mission pretty much every year.

I created some additional low level FLAK and AAA with tracers to 'protect'

a couple of the dams. I forget which now, and I am 'down under' for a couple

of weeks and on my laptop so I may not be able to pull out the files and make

them available. I'll look into this a bit later.

Paul

Hi Paul (Gypsy Baron) - please add me to the list for the dams flak. I did modify your stuff to provide some activity around the Mohne Dam, but I never really finished it and I'm sure you did it better !

Strictly speaking, the Mohne was the only dam that was protected. Though of course there are/were well documented hotspots along their route.

PS I do hope you don't fly the dams raid in B-17s :smile:

DB

Hi Paul (Gypsy Baron) - please add me to the list for the dams flak. I did modify your stuff to provide some activity around the Mohne Dam, but I never really finished it and I'm sure you did it better !

Strictly speaking, the Mohne was the only dam that was protected. Though of course there are/were well documented hotspots along their route.

PS I do hope you don't fly the dams raid in B-17s :smile:

DB

I had originally put the low FLAK and AAA at the Mohne, Eder and

the Sorpe, I removed the 'protection' for that in a later update.

The 91st flies the mission in Lancasters with a 'makeshift wooden

bomb sight'.

Our flight plan takes us to the Mohne and Eder dams from RAF Scampton.

That air base scenery was created for this mission.

Here are a couple of JPGs of the attack run flight segments:

Mohne%20Bomb%20Run.jpg

;

Eder%20Bomb%20Run.jpg

I'll get back to you on the files for the mission via a PM.

And Paul, yes I am in Oz at the moment. Sydney to be specific.

I needed a couple of weeks of 'summer' to escape the cold, rainy

San Francisco winter! 

I will PM you as well with the Operation Chastise files.

Paul 

Wide-5.jpg

Oh, nice maps! Anything you can supply will be fantastic, I'm still practicing. Just managed to tweak moonlighting to allow me to see the lake surface and ground at night in full moon.

Those are indeed nice maps. Better than I've seen in many an academic book on the subject. Although I think Gibson and co's original arrival track to the Mohne was more from the north, and to the east of the dam. But that's a nit.

At the Eder, Ray Grayston (flight engineer with Les Knight, who broke the dam) said the technique they used was to idle the throttles and glide into the valley, and then at 60 ft open up the throttles to full for the (very short) run to the dam. I have to say I've tried that in simulation, and can't get the speed (I use 240 mph rather than 220) in time for the wall.

You don't show a map for the Sorpe (the earth dam), where of course the attack was along the length of the dam, with no bounce or spinning.

I'll look out for the files - thanks !