Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Upgrade GTX770 4GB to GTX1070

Hello, now that I've got my new i7 7700k up and running, I'm starting to contemplate a GPU upgrade. I have a GTX770, and while my overall fps are good, when I get into clouds etc my fps do drop. I've done the check shrinking my screen size and my fps go up. I checked gpu utilization and it's at 100% when flying through clouds. My display is 1440p in p3dv3. All this leads me to believe I'm GPU limited now, so I'm contemplating an upgrade to a GTX1070.

Has anyone made a similar upgrade? Comments, thoughts? I've read a few things on this forum about the gtx1070 being overkill for P3D...any other options out there?

Thanks

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Bump

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I would like to know too... I have same situation in the near future I will upgrade my GTX 770 4gb to GTX 1070.

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Guest Mik75

I updated from a GTX670 to a 1070 and it helped a lot with stable FPS in P3Dv3 and in X-Plane.

The frame rate literally exploded in X-Plane 10, especially with high resolution photo scenery.

In P3D, the average frame rate didn't increase that dramatically, but the overall smoothness went up very noticeably. And the drops to middle teens are completely gone.

And the 99% GPU load (more or less the whole time) with the 670 went down to 30-60% with the 1070.

That is with an overclocked i5 3570@4.3 GHz.

I have the same experience as Michael. Upgraded from a 670 to 1070, noticed a huge improvement in FPS in X-Plane, and a decent improvement in FSX (but probably about 10fps more than I was getting and smoother overall). I don't regret it.

Same here. Upgraded from GTX780 to GTX1070. Since the upgrade, my fps in P3D are much more stable and the sim is more fluid (because of the more stable fps). In cloudy conditions fps are much higher in general. In X-Plane it has also given me a significant improvement in fps.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

thanks! Folks for info...

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

Thanks guys! That seals it for me.

Dave

I just placed my order for this:

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487265

I'll report back with results once it's up and running.

Dave

I, too, am debating making the jump from a GTX 780 to a 1070 or 1080 during an upgrade I'm planning.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Looks to be the same one I bought, glad to hear it was a good upgrade!

Dave

New 1070 is up and running, haven't done a ton of testing but so far so good. Here's what I've seen:

- flytampa cyyz in the pmdg 777, heavy weather. My fps were roughly the same in heavy weather as they would have been previously in sparse weather, so the 1070 appears to be chewing through the as2016 generated weather. Fps were low 30s.

- did a bit of cruising around orbx Monterrey with sliders one notch from the right in the real air legacy, fps were in the mid 50s range. I don't have a pre 1070 fps number for this but I was impressed!

- flew the fslabs a320 from imaginesim KATL to dd Washington x's rendition of KDCA. Climbing out of ATL through moderate clouds I was in the high 30's to mid 40's once I was clear of the airport and no longer CPU bound, roughly a 15 fps improvement.

Sorry these weren't exactly scientific tests but hopefully it gives a sense of my experience. Overall I'm quite happy with the upgrade, it goes quite well with i7700k.

As for other games, it blows them away! I just finished a run in train simulator on the Pacific Surfliner route were I was routinely hitting 120fps with much higher settings than I've used in the past, with everything maxed I was still getting a solid 30fps.

Dave