Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

TOD question

Dave,

Could you plug in this flight plan,AKUNA6 MLC DCT SGF J105 WELTS TRTLL4, at FL410 and see what TOD you get? I did it with the latest version and got a TOD of 217nm. That seems like an awful long way out even at that cruise altitude. If I change the rate of descent from 1700fpm to 2000fpm it changes the TOD to 214nm. Maybe it's something I'm doing or maybe I'm wrong about what the distance should be. Any help would be appreciated.

NAX669.png

Dave,

Could you plug in this flight plan,AKUNA6 MLC DCT SGF J105 WELTS TRTLL4, at FL410 and see what TOD you get? I did it with the latest version and got a TOD of 217nm. That seems like an awful long way out even at that cruise altitude. If I change the rate of descent from 1700fpm to 2000fpm it changes the TOD to 214nm. Maybe it's something I'm doing or maybe I'm wrong about what the distance should be. Any help would be appreciated.

I guess it would have been really helpful to tell you what the departure and arrival cities were. KDFW-KORD. It's oldtimers disease.

NAX669.png

According to your flight plan you are using WELTS then TRTLL4 VINCA for approaching KORD?

Having a look to TRTLL4 charts, VINCA requires mandatory -FL340 or below- and is +140 NM from KORD. So i would expect TOD quite far from KORD for an approach using this procedure/transition.

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1702/pdf/00166TRTLL.PDF

Thanks Manuel. I hadn't looked at it that closely but it makes perfect sense.

NAX669.png

I also have problems with the TOD calculation.  I have the following flight plan at FL280, descent rate 1500 and cruise speen 320:

KBGE MGM J70 MHZ KHKS

TOD was just past MHZ which is about 10 miles from the airport.  I was given RNAV approach to runway 34 with a procedure turn at JILHO as I psssed MHZ.  Still not enough time to descend to 3400.

Tom

Mike, you and Manuel figured that one out correctly, I believe.

John,

Did you fly that route and not get a descent until MHZ?  When I put in the approach and Validate the plan, I get the TOD 103.5 NM before the airport.  P2A should have given you the descent starting then.  And it should not have let you File the flight plan without an Approach selected or the ATC Assigns Approach option checked.

You may have found a bug on this one.

Dave

John,
Did you fly that route and not get a descent until MHZ?  When I put in the approach and Validate the plan, I get the TOD 103.5 NM before the airport.  P2A should have given you the descent starting then.  And it should not have let you File the flight plan without an Approach selected or the ATC Assigns Approach option checked.

I assume that this was meant for me.  I just tried the flight plan again.  I do not enter the approach.  The ATC Assigns SIDS, STARS and Approaches boxes are all checked.  The filed plan shows the following in the distance column:

114.1 NM to MGM, 126.3 NM to MEI, 65.7 NM to TOD, 0.3 NM to MHZ, 8.6 NM to KHKS

I note that if I select the approach and refile,the TOD is 8.8 miles after MEI. A much better spot.

Tom