Sign in to follow this  
tomwalker84

747 v3 hanging for up to 20 seconds - frequency increases during flight

Hi All,

I've noticed over the past two days that performance of my sim when flying the new PMDG 747 v3 is grinding to an - almost - halt.  start the sim off and performance is fine, however start to see some freezes of up to 20 seconds at a time during set up of the aircraft.  as time goes on, the freezes are still around 20 seconds, but the frequency increases so much so that the take off roll can last up to 4 minutes!  it's basically unusable.

Nothing's changed on my system except the installation of the Atlas B74F since i started noticing these performance issues.  When I bought the plane last weekend, it ran ok (not as reliable as the 777 or 737 mind you).

really not sure what to do.  i've uninstalled the Atlas 74F and reverted back to China Airlines Cargo, but having the same issues.  tried two separate airports to rule out scenery (they're very basic airports too - freeware bgl files, nothing more), also disabled vatsim, disabled all weather.  i will also reduce my global scenery settings, but I fear the issue may be something else other than this - it ran fine last week!

I've read issues about a new nVidia driver leaking VAS, however I'm running a real old card, and I haven't updated it any drivers for it recently.

will test the same airport and set up with the 777 to see if i experience the same issue.  until then, if anyone has any ideas, i'd appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have FSUIPC? If so, is autosave enabled?

Please note that it is a forum requirement to include your full name in the body of your posts (I'm assuming it's your user name, but for consistency, all signatures need to be in the same relative spot).

Kyle Rodgers

Yep, I do have FSUIPC and set to auto save every 5 minutes. However the "freezes" are much more frequent than every 5 mins. As the flight progresses the frequency of the freezes increases to the point where it's unusable.

Tom Walker

Turn off the FSUIPC autosave and try it out. 

Dan Downs KCRP

Tom,

What Dan said. The reason is that, when the situation is saved, we're also saving all of the detail that the sim does not save by itself: the FMC state, the route, the panel state, and so on. That's a lot of information, on top of what the sim saves by itself. In order to avoid hanging the sim for a while, the sim stuff saves and then ours saves in the background. If you keep doing this too frequently on a computer that can't handle all of that processing (on top of a processor hungry program like the sim), things start to back up. When things start to back up, the sim starts to hang.

Turn autosave off, or drop the frequency of saves.

Kyle Rodgers

You guys nailed it.  Turned off AutoSave on FSUIPC and works a treat.  Still find it strange that the autosave works fine on the 777, considering PMDG say that performance on the 744 is better, but never mind.  really relieved that you've found the cause of the issue.  I'll have a mess around and see what frequency of autosave works for me.

Thanks!

Tom Walker

I also get this issue Tom, I own the PMDG 738/739 and T7 for fsx and a lot of other high end aircraft for P3D but the 744 in P3D stutters more than other Aircraft.  Strange...  But I'll follow Dan Downs and Kyle's recommendations and see what happens!  :D

Hi,

I have having freezing issues from take off, up until about FL100 and then they stop.  I do not have autosave on.

I recall having the same issue when I first got the T7.   Can't recall how the issue was solved.

Any further help appreciated.

Kevin Beckwith

Make sure Windows Defender, if you are using it, does not scan itself. Exclude Program Files\Windows Defender folder.

Use Process Explorer to find out what is active and possibly causing the sim to pause.

Dan Downs KCRP