Sign in to follow this  
JohnsonPBX

Beacon lights key command

Hello guys,

This is a small suggestion of something I found today: I assign key commands (linked to my hardware buttons) for external lighting. The 747-400 has three positions for the beacon lights (off - center, lower - upwards and both - downwards). However, the key assignment only cycles them between lower and off. Is it possible for you to modify them so that the key commands toggles all three positions? E.g.: if they are off, one press moves it to lower, a second press down to both and a third press back to off. This is in order to reduce mouse usage to the minimum as having the cursor active greatly affects frames-per-second.

Thanks in advance!

I agree with this topic. Right now the keypress for the beacon lights toggles between lwr beacon and off, while it should toggle between off and both to make this keypress useful.

Gents,

Please remember that this is the community support forum. If you need to bring something to our attention, it needs to go to the official support function, which is linked from so many places that it's impossible to miss. One of these places is in my signature, below.

I know I tend to be a bit of a stickler about this, but I'd hate to think something important goes unnoticed because someone chose the wrong avenue for reporting. The official function offers tracking, and is guaranteed to be seen by one of us. The forum is not.

Kyle Rodgers

I'd like to bump this topic since it's been about a year and it's the only post I've found.

The PMDG Options / Key Commands / Beacon still only toggles from OFF to LOWER. There's no option to move the switch down to BOTH with a key binding.

Is this issue logged - does it need a ticket - or any comment on mapping a key press to get the beacon switch int he down/both position?

Thx...

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog
  • Software: P3D ► MSFS ► XP11 ► DCS World

29 minutes ago, bob34 said:

I'd like to bump this topic since it's been about a year and it's the only post I've found.

The PMDG Options / Key Commands / Beacon still only toggles from OFF to LOWER. There's no option to move the switch down to BOTH with a key binding.

Is this issue logged - does it need a ticket - or any comment on mapping a key press to get the beacon switch int he down/both position?

Thx...

Did you submit a ticket?  If not, then I doubt it is being tracked in the bug database.  This falls under the category of feature request I believe... best way to request a feature is on a ticket.

Dan Downs KCRP

6 minutes ago, downscc said:

Did you submit a ticket?  If not, then I doubt it is being tracked in the bug database.  This falls under the category of feature request I believe... best way to request a feature is on a ticket.

Did I submit a ticket? 

40 minutes ago, bob34 said:

does it need a ticket

Back to the question - is it logged already and on the radar screen for a fix or do I need to enter a ticket? Thanks.... BD

Bob Donovan - KBOS

• Hardware: i7 11700k on ROG Strix Z590 ► Asus ROG GeForce 3070 ►FDS 737 FMC ► VRInsight 737 Overhead ► GoFlight TQ6 ADV ► Thrustmaster Warthog

Maybe a silly question: but why is the beacon switch that important for you to be linked to a hardware button?? You use this switch twice in a flight... first before the engines get started or the plane moves, whichever happens first and the second time after your engines have stopped and no further actions have to be expected... a bit of a waste of hardware options in my opinion. 

All the time you click around on the CDU and the MCP and then the beacon switch makes a difference to be toggled with one mouse click, two in summary?

Edited by Ephedrin

29 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

why is the beacon switch that important for you to be linked to a hardware button??

Marc -if the keybinding was in place for the upper/lower beacon - it would be a lot faster than scrolling up to the overhead and getting my mouse over the three-way switch. And that's not the point anyway.
If you go in the PMDG Options / Key Commands / External Lights - you'll see it exists for the lower beacons only.

t's possible the OP put a ticket in. It's possible PMDG may have it on their list of fixes. I'm following up because it is important to me. It's a small little annoyance and I'm curious if PMDG captured this and plans to address it - or a fresh ticket is needed. 

37 minutes ago, Ephedrin said:

a bit of a waste of hardware options in my opinion. 

????   so then strobe is a waste, landing gear is a waste, elapsed time is waste, TOGA is a waste?  We shouldn't have keyboard bindings for these? What's the right amount of clicks during a flight to merit a keybinding or hardware switch? 3? 4?

Bob Donovan - KBOS

3 hours ago, bob34 said:

Back to the question - is it logged already and on the radar screen for a fix or do I need to enter a ticket?

You'd be better off submitting a ticket regardless since there's no guarantee that anyone will see your question here. Nothing's going to happen if it's already on there and you submit a ticket.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

29 minutes ago, Captain Kevin said:

You'd be better off submitting a ticket regardless since there's no guarantee that anyone will see your question here. Nothing's going to happen if it's already on there and you submit a ticket.

yup. agree.

Bob Donovan - KBOS

6 hours ago, bob34 said:

TOGA is a waste? 

Ok,

good point. Tjat‘s one you even use only once... I got it :laugh:

For anyone following this or finds the topic in search, PMDG responded to the ticket and the issue is documented.

Dan/Marc/Kevin .. appreciate the help.

BD  

Bob Donovan - KBOS

5 hours ago, bob34 said:

For anyone following this or finds the topic in search, PMDG responded to the ticket and the issue is documented.

Dan/Marc/Kevin .. appreciate the help.

Good to know. Always remember: When in doubt, submit a support ticket. Worst that can happen is they tell you it's already on the list.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.