Sign in to follow this  
Boomer

My special 744 training program

Still have my AOA DVD for the 744 and all of my old PC Pilot mags that have Jane Whittakers 744 tutorials. Anyone else?

spacer.png

There are a few documents on our downloads page that might be helpful.

Yep, those old tutorials. . Got em too, cheers brother Kyle.

spacer.png

Worth a look is this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Big-Jets-Stanley-Stewart/dp/1853102903/ref=sr_1_1_twi_har_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486579227&sr=1-1&keywords=flying+the+big+jets

It is written by a BA Boeing 747-400 pilot (who also wrote a similar book on the Triple Seven too, so make sure it is the 747 book you are buying and not the 777 version, as not all sellers will notice the difference).

Quite a weighty tome, especially in hardback, it is aimed at anyone who has more than a passing interest in how the Boeing 747-400 is operated. Since it is aimed at non-pilots too, it doesn't skimp on explaining stuff to the layman, but don't let that put you off if you are a pilot, because there is a mine of useful info in there, such as how oceanic clearances work, how step climbs work and how winds aloft can make you change your cruise altitude etc.

The entire book is written around a typical flight from London Heathrow to New York, covering everything from the cockpit and aircraft preperation to loading up the flight plan, getting clearance and flying an Atlantic Track, then of course landing at the destination. Since it has been out a while, you can find used copies on ebay and amazon for next to nothing, but I originally bought it in a bookstore when new, and wasn't disappointed to be paying full price, and since it specifically covers the B747-400, there is no need to worry about it being 'dated', because it is the exact aeroplane PMDG have built.

Recommended for anyone who has a love affair with the 747.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Not for P3D/FSX, but for PSX (but if you squint your eyes a bit you can read both in it)

http://aerowinx.com/board/index.php?topic=2583.0

Well, potato potato. It's about a 747!  :smile:

• Upvote 1

Robin Heinis                                                                                                                    SIM Pilot 
FSX-SE DX10 Preview mode with Steve's DX10 Fixer..PMDG MD-11..NGX..777..747 v3.."PMDG made EZ" (EZdok / ChasePlane profile package I made for all PMDG airliners, see AVSIM library)
Addons: ORBX..REX 4..REX SF..AS16/ASCA..EZCA..FS Global Ultimate NG..FlyTampa..FSFX..FS Passengers X..FS Real Time..FS2Crew..GSX..Navigraph..PFPX..TOPCAT..Pro-ATC/X..UT2..
PC specs: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz..ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-GAMING..Corsair Dominator Platinum 16 GB..4x Samsung 850 EVO..2x WD Black in RAID 1..Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

lucky for me i was still using the old PMDG 747 regularly up until new version so i was able to jump right in without a tutorial. felt like an old friend.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Worth a look is this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flying-Big-Jets-Stanley-Stewart/dp/1853102903/ref=sr_1_1_twi_har_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486579227&sr=1-1&keywords=flying+the+big+jets

It is written by a BA Boeing 747-400 pilot (who also wrote a similar book on the Triple Seven too, so make sure it is the 747 book you are buying and not the 777 version, as not all sellers will notice the difference).

Quite a weighty tome, especially in hardback, it is aimed at anyone who has more than a passing interest in how the Boeing 747-400 is operated. Since it is aimed at non-pilots too, it doesn't skimp on explaining stuff to the layman, but don't let that put you off if you are a pilot, because there is a mine of useful info in there, such as how oceanic clearances work, how step climbs work and how winds aloft can make you change your cruise altitude etc.

The entire book is written around a typical flight from London Heathrow to New York, covering everything from the cockpit and aircraft preperation to loading up the flight plan, getting clearance and flying an Atlantic Track, then of course landing at the destination. Since it has been out a while, you can find used copies on ebay and amazon for next to nothing, but I originally bought it in a bookstore when new, and wasn't disappointed to be paying full price, and since it specifically covers the B747-400, there is no need to worry about it being 'dated', because it is the exact aeroplane PMDG have built.

Recommended for anyone who has a love affair with the 747.

Strange. I'm trying to buy the kindle version but it redirect me to the 777 book instead of the 747. Maybe the 747 edition is not available anymore!?

I still have my AOA course.  Thanks for reminding me about it.

Lots of good resources here.

Bob

Strange. I'm trying to buy the kindle version but it redirect me to the 777 book instead of the 747. Maybe the 747 edition is not available anymore!?

Possibly, but if you are ever having trouble locating a physical copy of a book which is out of print, try Abe Books:

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&an=Stanley+Stewart&tn=Flying+the+Big+Jets&kn=&isbn=

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Sure wish PC Pilot would put out a 744 special edition.

spacer.png