Sign in to follow this  
ThreeGreens

Surround Sound (5.1/7.1 etc?)?

Hi,

The sounds are great as they are.

I did a quick search - should I be getting surround sound for the QOTS II ? Is there an option? Or did I see a reference that it was coming at some point.

Really enjoying the 744 - some great work and well worth the wait.

Congrats to the Beta team for some very thorough testing - the RTM is a great example of some quality work that has been given some comprehensive testing.

Thanks

Scott

Boeing777_Banner_pilot.jpg

Scott Stephens

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes they are planned for a release in the future.

• Upvote 1

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

It was an additional option added later in the 777. It was only for exterior though not the cockpit. I never got why my Logitech 5.1 speakers always play engine sounds through the front! Even in supposedly surround sound sound packs I never had my back speakers play engine sounds in the cockpit. - David Lee

Do we have an ETA on 5.1 sounds for QOTS II ?.

Also will they be full surround in cockpit ?.

Hi Jeganathan,

The question of surround sounds for the 747 cockpit is a unique situation for us - one of the biggest new features of the 747 was the ability for us to control all the cockpit engine sounds in relation to altitude - this has significantly improved the audio realism during the climb, cruise and descent phases of a flight.

We achieved this by moving the cockpit engine sounds out from FSX / P3D and into our own custom engine implementation created by the team.  This means that since the 747, we cannot use the default surround sound technology provided by FSX / P3D to make the surround sound mixes, as we do not use their technology anymore.

The next stage for us is to implement our own surround sound solution inside our own custom code, which is quite a challenging task.  Our aim is to create a surround engine that exceeds the capabilities offered by FSX / P3D, bringing far more surround functionality, features and audio richness than can be currently achieved with what they offer ....... the bad news is that we are only in the early stages of the development cycle - so I do not expect this to be ready for some time.

Once we have a solution implemented, tested and operational, then I can begin to create the surround mixes for the 747.

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer