Sign in to follow this  
alby81

P3D 1070 low FPS

Hi everyone!

My rig:

4670K@4300 DDR3 Gskill Sniper 8GB 1600@2200 KFA2 (GALAX) 1070 EXOC SNIPER BLACK

The performance is great where I'm in sparse scenery areas but if I try to fly e.g. New York i get no more than 35 FPS (almost every setting maxed out).

What I don't understand is that the GPU doesn't go over 70% (usually sits at 50-60%) while my core0 stays at 100% (AffinityMask=15).

It means I'm CPU limited? Otherwise I would expect higher FPS.

Many thanks!

Hi everyone!

My rig:

The performance is great where I'm in sparse scenery areas but if I try to fly e.g. New York i get no more than 35 FPS (almost every setting maxed out).

What I don't understand is that the GPU doesn't go over 70% (usually sits at 50-60%) while my core0 stays at 100% (AffinityMask=15).

Many thanks!

Not CPU limited, you are limited by a 32bit application . I have Similar setup but with I7 6700K and 32 DDR4 Ram, still around 25-30 FPS with heavy aircraft and scenery and sometimes even OOM comes in to play. Thats why I love x-plane - Everything completly maxed out.

What you need to do is tweak your P3D to your system according to your specific needs.

Not CPU limited, you are limited by a 32bit application . I have Similar setup but with I7 6700K and 32 DDR4 Ram, still around 25-30 FPS with heavy aircraft and scenery and sometimes even OOM comes in to play. Thats why I love x-plane - Everything completly maxed out.

What you need to do is tweak your P3D to your system according to your specific needs.

How many fps?

If I max out in x-plane 10 in crouded areas I get 20, otherwise 50.

Hi everyone!

My rig:

Many thanks!

Yes, the CPU is the limiting factor.. and that is pretty standard for FSX/P3D.

Core0 carries the heavy load, again standard for P3D with AM=15.

If you try AM=14, you will move that load to the next core, Core1 which may or may not buy you a little bit since Core0 is then free for background programs.

Bert

Hi Alby, 

I have a similar rig to yours (4790k & 1070) and I would say that what made the biggest difference for me was setting AM to 84. To be honest, 35 FPS is no jokes if you are able to maintain it. I would not call it bad at all.

Cheers,

Vincent

I suggest to stop chasing FPS and concentrate on the lowest FPS where you can maintain SMOOTH operation. I have almost all sliders maxed and I lock my FPS at 20. Smooth as silk.

High FPS doesn't necessarily mean a "better" sim - all it means is high FPS. And if it's a stutter fest with that high FPS, what good is it except for bragging rights.

Especially with P3D - tune your system for lowest possible FPS (with your favorite settings) that will result in a completely smooth flight. Then turn off the fps counter and don't look at it again.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

e.g. New York i get no more than 35 FPS (almost every setting maxed out).

I wouldn't call that bad, especially when "almost every setting maxed out".

My FPS are at 30, but if you really want to measure something, go measure long frames, and not FPS... long frames will show you if your FS is smooth or not.

In P3D, there are features that take lots of CPU and then there are GPU-heavy features.

If you have too many CPU-features, your CPU will peak, other way too.

AffinityMask isn't something that's needed any more really, and can under certain circumstances cause problems (I remember there was a huge post from someone doing lots of tests, with and without affinitymask, with an without HT and so on... you'll have to search for it). If your CPU usage without P3D is 0-1%, then you can as well leave affinitymask out of the equation.

Hi Alby, 

I have a similar rig to yours (4790k & 1070) and I would say that what made the biggest difference for me was setting AM to 84. To be honest, 35 FPS is no jokes if you are able to maintain it. I would not call it bad at all.

Cheers,

Vincent

Similar maybe, but that is for a Hyperthreading CPU... not for the i5 that the OP has  :Shame On You:

Bert

Similar maybe, but that is for a Hyperthreading CPU... not for the i5 that the OP has  :Shame On You:

Bert, you are absolutely right, sorry! For some reason I read 4770k. So yeah, not 84!

I suggest to stop chasing FPS and concentrate on the lowest FPS where you can maintain SMOOTH operation. I have almost all sliders maxed and I lock my FPS at 20. Smooth as silk.

High FPS doesn't necessarily mean a "better" sim - all it means is high FPS. And if it's a stutter fest with that high FPS, what good is it except for bragging rights.

Especially with P3D - tune your system for lowest possible FPS (with your favorite settings) that will result in a completely smooth flight. Then turn off the fps counter and don't look at it again.

Vic

How many times does this have to be said? Turn off the frame counter!

Oops! I quoted the wrong guy. I intended to quote vgbaron.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

On 9/2/2017 at 11:00 PM, CptVince said:

Hi Alby, 

Cheers,

Vincent

I see... Switching to i7 4790k would help? This is the simplest and cheapest upgrade in my case...

By the way I could also wait for P3D v4 (x64) and upgrade the whole rig (CPU-MB-RAM) next year.

Your thoughts?

2 hours ago, alby81 said:

I see... Switching to i7 4790k would help? This is the simplest and cheapest upgrade in my case...

By the way I could also wait for P3D v4 (x64) and upgrade the whole rig (CPU-MB-RAM) next year.

Your thoughts?

Hi

You are definitely limited by your CPU, but I don't think that switching to another one would help too much, because you are running on overclocked CPU at 4.3 GHz already.

Try running program called Process Lasso. It is free to use for the first month.

Since P3d is using first core extensively, you can release some work from it by  assigning all the other Windows processes to remaining cores and leave first one for P3d for exclusive use.

It also optimizes lots of other things and is very straightforward to use.

Hope that helps.

Lukasz Kulasek

i7-8700k, RTX 2080 TI, 32 GB RAM, ASUS TUF Z370-PRO Gaming, Oculus Rift CV1