Sign in to follow this  
Sebjo89

FSX Steam edition or...

Hi

I'am about to purchase the Flight sim labs A320X for FSX Steam edition. My sim is FSX Steam, no addons besides REX 4.0 Texture direct which was included when I bought FSX in Steam.

I will also purchase the following third party addons: ENVTEX(FSX/P3D), Steve DX10 Fixer/Coud Shadows, AS16.

My question. Is it a good idea to invest for FSX Steam? Or should I invest in P3D v4 instead?

ENVTEX I know will work for P3D although I mainly buy for FSX Steam Edition but AS16 can only be bought for FSX or Prepar3D separately and will be the only addon that I need to buy again if I should jump to Prepar3D. FSL A320 has upgrade path for P3D also.

Sebastian Björk

Currently they are fixing few issues they had with P3D, but with last update  I see they solved most of them.....They are progressing well after initial issues with both platforms. I am with steam and no issues whatsoever. P3D vs FSX, well, un answered questions Certainly both with limitation being 32 bit app. As far as I know p3d add-ons are few extra $$...but...

Ultimately it is up to you of course, but I can say I've been happy with the (minimal) investment in Steam FSX. I say minimal because my old FSX add-ons work with it, it runs okay, the DX-10 fixer makes it look prettier and improves performance a bit too. Incidentally, the FSL A320 runs great in FSX-SE.

If I know anything about how FS add-ons go, when and if P3D goes 64 bit and works well, I'll consider a big switch, but at the moment I personally don't think there is enough advantage with P3D to make it worth going for in a big way. This is because I suspect we'd have to buy 64 bit versions of any presently 32 bit add-ons for P3D, well, that and the fact that P3D versions of stuff right now are already more expensive than the equivalent FSX-SE versions in many cases, and this for no really appreciable difference in performance or features when compared to what a souped up version of FSX-SE offers (for less money too). I do own P3D, and am perhaps one of the few people who genuinely does meet the EULA requirements given that I own a software training company, although I don't think most people are gonna have sleepless nights over their own suitability for the Academic license EULA lol.

It's worth noting the number of threads on here (Avsim) with people saying this or that doesn't work in (insert version number) of P3D, and it's already a little bit of a minefield for developers with three versions of P3D kicking around. So P3D is very much in flux, and that's one thing you don't have to worry about with FSX-SE, a developer will know what works on a platform which is static as far as changes to the base program goes, which is a big help not only where developing is concerned, but also in post-development forum and email support, patching etc, which many people forget, is an additional cost of development and support for a product, and goes some way, beyond the additional licensing costs, toward explaining why many P3D versions cost more than their FSX-SE counterparts when the aircraft or add-on is ostensibly the same from a feature standpoint.

So, I personally think the prudent choice is FSX-SE, and whilst enjoying that, watch what comes with P3D development wise, and what comes from Dovetail, who are also threatening a new flight sim as well, as indeed are Aerosoft, and then of course there is also X-Plane 11 coming up on the rails, and AeroFly FS2 as an outside bet too. Whichever one manages to get its act together best and gets developer support, will be the one I'll look at going for. One thing is for sure, we are certainly going to have some choices to make in the not too distant future, but for now, I reckon FSX-SE is the smartest choice when it comes to balancing how much one invests both time-wise and monetarily.

• Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

So, I personally think the prudent choice is FSX-SE, and whilst enjoying that, watch what comes with P3D development wise, and what comes from Dovetail, who are also threatening a new flight sim as well, as indeed are Aerosoft, and then of course there is also X-Plane 11 coming up on the rails, and AeroFly FS2 as an outside bet too. Whichever one manages to get its act together best and gets developer support, will be the one I'll look at going for. One thing is for sure, we are certainly going to have some choices to make in the not too distant future, but for now, I reckon FSX-SE is the smartest choice when it comes to balancing how much one invests both time-wise and monetarily.

I agree on what you saying and I know that eventually my main sim will be X-plane 11 just because it is 64-bit and by default very good looking(except the clouds). 

FSL A320X is the reason why I want to invest in FSX (or P3D) because it simply is a well developed add-on. 

I have the Jardesigns Airbus for Plane 10  but it feels 70-80 % developed and not near study level as the FSL A320.

The cost difference between the add-ons which I listed and Prepar3D with ENVTEX, FSLA320, AS16 is not that much. Whats holding me back from investing in P3D is the constant complain with VAS, bad anti-aliasing and crashes. Maybe I am wrong. FSX might have the same problem but it feels unnecessary to buy p3d when I got FSX already. 

Hi,

"Investment in lottery" is what I believed many of us are doing now.

FSX(FSX:SE) despite its age, it is a stable platform. Even if there is a 64bit version from DTG or P3D coming out any time soon. It wont be deal breaker right out of the box because it is brand new, need fixes, developers need to adapt new platform to make any changes, so on and so on, it might take months or even years for both users and developers to transfer.

Worse case scenario, the new platform is too different that developers can not use the old resources, have to do everything almost from scratch. I highly doubt we will have free updates, most likely have to wait for a totally new product with lots of waiting time, and full price.

If that happens, we all going to consider, is it worth to invest all over again?

I have been asking the same question myself. P3D is using the same engine, it still have most of the problems like FSX plus additional ones it creates. Every time there is a hotfix/update release, it creates a newer problem with compatibility, and we have to depend on developers to check and verify. Meanwhile in FSX(FSX:SE), we do not have to worry about it.

If there is v4 coming up, prepare for another hundreds dollars upgrade.

Some people experience horrible performance in FSX, much better in P3D, some other way around. It depends a lot on your ability to tweak the sim that you are using. But AFAIK, if you can get your P3D run as good as it gets, you will get more than you have in FSX. I believed P3D gives you many more options to tweak than FSX. I just came back to simulator, I chose FSX:SE and it took me almost half year to get what I have now, much better in FPS and VAS compare to earlier days. I am still tweaking my FSX:SE every day to understand more how each addon/setting affect the sim.

Post the same question in P3D forum so you can have more opinions. Personally I want to try P3D, but I have invest too much in FSX, and it does not worth it for me to change to another sim with same old, iron age engine.

Cheers.
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

If there is v4 coming up, prepare for another hundreds dollars upgrade.

Did this happen when P3D V3 released? Upgrades for Add-ons? And if not, is it because of 64-bit?

I might consider buying P3D because I think that all the add-ons which I will buy is more "safe" to buy then for FSX.

Did this happen when P3D V3 released? Upgrades for Add-ons? And if not, is it because of 64-bit?

I might consider buying P3D because I think that all the add-ons which I will buy is more "safe" to buy then for FSX.

Yes indeed it happened when they release V3, it was not a free update but a totally new product.

I would like to try P3D too, the only thing keeping me back is the huge amount of money I invested into FSX.

Cheers.

Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5