Sign in to follow this  
EuroTruckGuy

FSX newbie - I Need some help!

Hi,

I have had fsx se for almost 2 weeks now, and ive been looking at config edits to further improve my sim. I've noticed that a popular tweak is "Texture bandwidth Multi".

Heres what I know about the tweak:

1. It is defaulted to 160 in fsx se

2. Its value has to be in multiples of 10

3. It cannot go above 400

4. The more vram your gpu has, the higher the number you should use

What I dont know:

1. What exactly does this tweak do?

2. Since my gpu has 4gb vram, should i set it to the max, 400?

3. Do I need to cap my frame rate to see the effects of this tweak?

Also, what other tweaks are recommended? Please dont link me to the AVSIM tweaking guide or bojote or any other one, as I am always reading that "someone with cpu xyz shouldnt use that tweak" and "if you change this to that and you have service pack this, your pc will explode", so ive decided to stay away from those.

I currently have DisablePreload=1, AffinityMask14, and something else (i cant remember at the moment). If anyone needs me to post my specs & confug file, dont hesitate to ask!

Thanks,

David

Hi David,

Having tweaked the hell out of FS9 and then FSX when I installed that, the best advice I read a few years ago was to avoid all tweaks apart from the HIGHMEMFIX. Since then, that is the only tweak I have in use and I have been very happy generally with the performance of FSX.

Perhaps that's not the advice you were hoping for and I am certain others will give different suggestions, but my experience of getting bogged down trying to evaluate the effects of multiple tweaks is one I certainly will not be planning to repeat!😉

Bill

I think a lot of those tweaks worked well on older computers, dual core CPU, graphics cards with less than 1GB of memory, that sort of thing.  I run FSX on my relatively old Core2Quad system with very few tweaks.  The best thing I have found for improving the performance of FSX is turning down the eye candy.  Shadows, AI traffic (especially road traffic), and autogen seem to be the biggest offenders when it comes to performance.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

but my experience of getting bogged down trying to evaluate the effects of multiple tweaks is one I certainly will not be planning to repeat!

Thanks! This probably saved me a lot of time from tweaking, re-tweaking, etc. I won't bother to add the HighMemFix, because I know that fsx se does it automatically.

I think a lot of those tweaks worked well on older computers

Thanks! I already have excellent performance, and my graphics are absolutely breathtaking. Who knew an 11 year old game could look so good!

Can someone please explain to me what exactly TextureBandwidthMulti Do? I've tried searching online, but the answers arent that great.

thanks

Thanks! This probably saved me a lot of time from tweaking, re-tweaking, etc. I won't bother to add the HighMemFix, because I know that fsx se does it automatically.

Thanks! I already have excellent performance, and my graphics are absolutely breathtaking. Who knew an 11 year old game could look so good!

If you already have excellent performance and breathtaking graphics, don't touch, adjust, or tweak anything!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

If you already have excellent performance and breathtaking graphics, don't touch, adjust, or tweak anything!

You're right, it's just that I have an issue with autogen popping in super close to my aircraft (I think you tried to help me on that thread) and it just kills all of the enjoyment of the graphics. It wasn't happening, then one day, the issue started occurring. So, I though that maybe a tweak would fix it.

You're right, it's just that I have an issue with autogen popping in super close to my aircraft (I think you tried to help me on that thread) and it just kills all of the enjoyment of the graphics. It wasn't happening, then one day, the issue started occurring. So, I though that maybe a tweak would fix it.

Autogen popping into view is a bug feature of FSX.  There is really nothing that can be done short of rewriting the sim code that will fix it.

Autogen popping into view is a bug feature of FSX.  There is really nothing that can be done short of rewriting the sim code that will fix it.

Oh, I have heard that P3D got rid of that feature (bummer) but I dont have the money right now to get it (flight lessons are expensive!)

Oh, I have heard that P3D got rid of that feature (bummer) but I dont have the money right now to get it (flight lessons are expensive!)

So,so....Not a P3D user, but videos I've seen on Youtube there's still autogen popping