Sign in to follow this  

PMDG products crash FSX?!

Just a disclaimer; This is almost definitely my fault and I am not blaming PMDG for this.  Please don't flame me!

Ok, Here's my problem.  I am trying to run the PMDG 777 and 737 with FSX Steam edition (before you ask, I have legitimately bought the aircraft from PMDG's website and have legally acquired FSX from steam.) but I get weird texture glitches and an eventual crash of fsx.  It starts off when I run FSX (usually as admin but that doesn't matter) and load a PMDG Aircraft.  For example, once the 17 second wait period is over, I start off by putting flaps to 5, and taking a look outside and the runway has these weird texture glitches where parts of it are flashing and other parts aren't.  Once my flaps are are done extending, I go and take out all the payload and leave 10K tonnes of fuel and kill off the packs.  Then throttles to 55%, stable, and full powaa! (that is just an example - if I do a full flight by the book - I get the same issue) I make it down the runway but as I rotate and start climbing I either get an error message saying FSX stopped working or, it just hangs on me...  I do not know what the problem is but it is annoying, really annoying.  I am making the switch to P3D and have already bought the 747 directly for P3D and it works flawlessly.  But FSX is giving me issues and I want to get a little bit more use out of the NG and T7 as it will be a while before I can afford to move these birds over as well...  I did install FlyTampa Sydney which seemed to make the troubles start but that happened after I started getting weird texture glitches in the air (which I had before installing scenery) where if I turn my head or move the entire world just glitches and then, the sim crashes.  I have done multiple reinstalls of the OS (not just for this reason...  - I'm not that insane!) and it only started happening in the last two resintalls and I don't know.

If anyone can help - I would greatly appreciate it!

Zach:

1. Your disclaimer was a positive step, but it indicates you already expected that your post might offend someone.  Instead, you should have just chosen a less aggressive title for your post, as it really does make it sound like you are blaming PMDG.  You could have simply put something like "Please help; I am having trouble with my PMDG product in FSX-SE."  That would have made a much better impression, and given readers a much better idea of your purpose.

2. As to your problem, it would be helpful if you provided some details about your system, and how your FSX installation is set up, so that we could begin to help you figure it out.

3. Better yet, as this is a very specific technical problem, you might be better off submitting a support ticket on PMDG's website.  They are usually very responsive, and are in a better position to help you with something like this.  Of course you are welcome to do both, but again, you need to provide more details about your setup (CPU, Graphics card, memory).  You mentioned your OS.  Which OS are you using?  Have you installed any other addons recently that might be causing a conflict?  Are you running any other applications in the background?  Have you looked at Task Manager or Process Explorer to see which and how much resources are being used when this happens?

Andrew Jones

Zach:

1. Your disclaimer was a positive step, but it indicates you already expected that your post might offend someone.  Instead, you should have just chosen a less aggressive title for your post, as it really does make it sound like you are blaming PMDG.  You could have simply put something like "Please help; I am having trouble with my PMDG product in FSX-SE."  That would have made a much better impression, and given readers a much better idea of your purpose.

2. As to your problem, it would be helpful if you provided some details about your system, and how your FSX installation is set up, so that we could begin to help you figure it out.

3. Better yet, as this is a very specific technical problem, you might be better off submitting a support ticket on PMDG's website.  They are usually very responsive, and are in a better position to help you with something like this.  Of course you are welcome to do both, but again, you need to provide more details about your setup (CPU, Graphics card, memory).  You mentioned your OS.  Which OS are you using?  Have you installed any other addons recently that might be causing a conflict?  Are you running any other applications in the background?  Have you looked at Task Manager or Process Explorer to see which and how much resources are being used when this happens?

Thanks Andrew for all of the recommendations, I really appreciate it when others make suggestions! :) The PMDG support team did also reply to my email and have since said that it crashes due to a driver. I'm sorry for the late reply but I just want to say thanks for your advice mate.

It's likely something messed up on the PC. Have you ran a virus scan? I removed bitdefener from my PC a few days ago to free up system resources as I thought Windows Defender and Malwarebytes would have me covered. The next day my P3D went south. my PMDG birds would freeze as soon as they loaded. I couldn't figure out why and then I thought to myself this started as soon as I removed Bit-defender antivirus. So after wasting 4 or 5 hours trying to figure it out I reinstalled Bitdefender and right away it found a Trojan virus. I Deleted the affected file and everything returned to normal. So don't rely on Windows defender!

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.

Pete,

I don't quite agree here. Various AV software often claims some of our software is malicious in one way or another, which actually interferes with the correct functioning of software*. The Operations Center, as an example, is built to be installed and then download things. To some AV software, that's a Trojan. This is, naturally, a false positive. Not to put the tin foil hat on too much, but if you think about it, AV software is a paid subscription service. In order to really drive the point home that people 'need' it, a lot of them have been programmed to be more pro-active and vocal than they really need to be. After all, they gotta let you know that they want that gold star and that they deserve your subscription.

To be honest, with a little bit of smart web practices (not browsing sketchy sites, etc.), and the built-in Windows AV and Firewall functions, you're incredibly well off as a home user. Given that setup, you would have to be an active participant in finding a virus or other malicious software in order for it to be on your computer. This is coming from a guy who used to teach net and organizational security to people. Organizations/businesses/administrations? Different story. Those suites have additional functionality to make your security stance a lot more effective entity-wide. None of that is necessary for a home user (unless you have 50+ computers that you have to manage in your house for some reason).

So, if you prefer to use it, go for it. All the same, they're usually a lot more hypochondriacal** than they need to be.

*Ironically, one of the definitions of a virus is a program that is installed on a client machine that causes it to behave improperly. If the AV software is interfering with the proper function of software...

**Actually a word.

Kyle Rodgers

Pete,

I don't quite agree here. Various AV software often claims some of our software is malicious in one way or another, which actually interferes with the correct functioning of software*. The Operations Center, as an example, is built to be installed and then download things. To some AV software, that's a Trojan. This is, naturally, a false positive. Not to put the tin foil hat on too much, but if you think about it, AV software is a paid subscription service. In order to really drive the point home that people 'need' it, a lot of them have been programmed to be more pro-active and vocal than they really need to be. After all, they gotta let you know that they want that gold star and that they deserve your subscription.

To be honest, with a little bit of smart web practices (not browsing sketchy sites, etc.), and the built-in Windows AV and Firewall functions, you're incredibly well off as a home user. Given that setup, you would have to be an active participant in finding a virus or other malicious software in order for it to be on your computer. This is coming from a guy who used to teach net and organizational security to people. Organizations/businesses/administrations? Different story. Those suites have additional functionality to make your security stance a lot more effective entity-wide. None of that is necessary for a home user (unless you have 50+ computers that you have to manage in your house for some reason).

So, if you prefer to use it, go for it. All the same, they're usually a lot more hypochondriacal** than they need to be.

*Ironically, one of the definitions of a virus is a program that is installed on a client machine that causes it to behave improperly. If the AV software is interfering with the proper function of software...

**Actually a word.

Very good points Kyle.

Pete Richards

Aussie born, Sydney (YSSY) living in Whitehorse, Yukon (CYXY)

Windows 11 Pro loaded on a Sabrent 1TB Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0, Ryzen 9 7950x3d, MSI X670-Pro Wifi Motherboard, MSI RTX 4070 Ti Ventus 3X 12G OC, 64GB DDR5-6000 C30 Corsair Vengeance, 2x 1TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe for MSFS2020, 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Corsair RMx 1000W PSU, NZXT Kraken X63 280mm AIO, Phanteks P600S Case.