Sign in to follow this  
C Schaffhausen

Strong Lift Encountered on Short Final - What's Causing it?

Hello all,

I'm using Opus as the weather engine when I flew from Hong Kong to Sydney, I did my landing on RWY 18R and I encountered very usually strong lift on short final. I discovered that I run into that lift very often when I land at Sydney RWY 18R and Taipei RWY 05L. What did I encounter and is there a way to disable it? Much appreciated!

Regards,

Cedric

Regards,

C Schaffhausen

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Try disabling thermals and see if it goes away. I used to get that problem on short final at Diamond Point, and it went away when I turned thermals off.

Are you using EZCA v2 ?  It has some effects on the airframe that not only are a camera shake but actually change the flight dynamics.....lift on short final is one of the effects, try disabling it or turning down the effect.  

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Thank God you cannot turn of the thermals in the real world. :rolleyes:

When you encounter the lift start a tight turn against the rising wing and try to center it. There are lots of books on the subject.Short final is very risky though! :Big Grin:

There are common site effects defined for many Australian airports. Defined an courtesy of an airline pilot who regularly flies into many of them.

Stephen :-)

I had that strong lift and approx 20kt increase in IAS, more like a microburst without much sink than thermals really but I'll try disabling thermals. And nope not using EZdok v2, just the old version of EZdok.

Edit: Disabling thermals also mean disable turbulence effects on aircraft, correct? Is there a way to disable the thermal alone?

Regards,

C Schaffhausen

And FSX default thermals are sooo realistic. When I use ASN, I have leave thermals on.

When you encounter the lift start a tight turn against the rising wing and try to center it. There are lots of books on the subject.Short final is very risky though! :Big Grin:

Not when I'm flying the 747, the glide ratio is what? 5 to 1? haha

There are common site effects defined for many Australian airports. Defined an courtesy of an airline pilot who regularly flies into many of them.

Stephen :-)

So there's no way I could weaken it? I had to pull the thrust all the way to idle and nose down to about 10 degrees to get the approach right, and I'm on a 747

Regards,

C Schaffhausen

If it's due to an OpusFSI site effect then you can change that yourself by editing the site effects file. You can also control (reduce) the Max Wing Flex setting in our weather preferences.

Stephen