Sign in to follow this  
dornier

On some landings the aircraft in the flare hits the ground hard unexpectedly

Hi everyone,

I know the main gear on the 747 hangs down quite a bit in the flare, but at some airports I'm unexpectedly smacking the aircraft into the ground. At some airports my landings are fantastic, but yesterday landing in KBOS on the ILS 33L approach everything was looking great and all of a sudden it's as if I hit the threshold of the runway with the main gear. I was manually flying and following the glideslope when it occurred. So what am I doing wrong? I was planning on touching down around 1500' down the runway, but it's as if the runway jumps up in the flare.

Thanks,

George

Using FSX SE, Chase plane, Active Sky 2016.

I have this problem at Aerosofts Heathrow airport. I would sagely assume that it's an issue with the airport and not the airplane because if it was the airplane, it would probably happen at a lot of other airports including default airports.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

At some airports my landings are fantastic, but yesterday landing in KBOS on the ILS 33L approach everything was looking great and all of a sudden it's as if I hit the threshold of the runway with the main gear.

This is a FSXism.. increase your mesh setting.  It happens at KSFO too and it has to do with the runway extending close to the water.

Dan Downs KCRP

Mesh complexity or Mesh resolution or both?  How much?

Right now I have Mesh Complexity set to 75 and Mesh Resolution set to 2m.

Thanks,

George

Mesh complexity or Mesh resolution or both?  How much?

Right now I have Mesh Complexity set to 75 and Mesh Resolution set to 2m.

Thanks,

George

Setting the Mesh Resolution to 10m solves this annoying behavior.

Sorry I should have worded that differently. I meant a higher number, not a higher resolution. So I have my set to 22m for performance. Is that okay or do I have to set it to exactly 10m?

Sorry I should have worded that differently. I meant a higher number, not a higher resolution. So I have my set to 22m for performance. Is that okay or do I have to set it to exactly 10m?

That's no problem :smile: This issue is only present with 1m, 2m and 5m mesh resolutions.