Sign in to follow this  
EJ10

FSX default runway markings still show on add-on runway?

I've been having this problem lately which is that on my add-on runways, the outline of the FSX default runway markings is still visible. I can't find anything online about it so I thought why not ask on here! Does anybody know any solutions?

I've been having this problem lately which is that on my add-on runways, the outline of the FSX default runway markings is still visible. I can't find anything online about it so I thought why not ask on here! Does anybody know any solutions?

I moved your topic to the FSX forum which is the place to post a question for support. You posted this in the New Members section. Also welcome to Avsim.

As far as your question, it's hard to answer without knowing what specific addon airports your using, what other scenery products your using in conjunction with the addon airports your having issues with. Going forward, its best to provide as much detailed information that you can do that members can help with the diagnosis. You can also post screen shots to illustrate the problem.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It might be a problem with duplicate AFCAD files. Worth doing a search for duplicates for the airport with the problem runways.

Bill

I moved your topic to the FSX forum which is the place to post a question for support. You posted this in the New Members section. Also welcome to Avsim.

As far as your question, it's hard to answer without knowing what specific addon airports your using, what other scenery products your using in conjunction with the addon airports your having issues with. Going forward, its best to provide as much detailed information that you can do that members can help with the diagnosis. You can also post screen shots to illustrate the problem.

The airport scenery add-ons I have currently installed are:

Aerosoft:

- Bari X

- Frankfurt-Hahn X

- Luxembourg Airports

- Girbaltar X

- Djerba X

FlyTampa:

- St. Maarten (Extended)

- Kai Tak

Drzewiecki design:

- Polish Airports Vol.1

UK2000:

- 21 of their airports

I've also got REX Essentials + Overdrive, and it installs alternative runway markings so I'm not sure if that could also affect it.

What other information would be useful for you to know?

It might be a problem with duplicate AFCAD files. Worth doing a search for duplicates for the airport with the problem runways.

Bill

Where would I find the AFCAD files?

Euan

Hi Euan,

If they are the only add-on airports you have installed then there shouldn't be any problems with duplicate AFCADS, unless you had any previous non-default add-ons for these airports which you did not fully uninstall when adding these payware airports. I take it that the problem only occurs at these add-on airports and not your default airports?

With regard to Rex E+OD, I also use this but I did not activate the runway textures, so I guess that these may have something to do with the problem you are experiencing. It might just be worth deactivating that feature to see if is resolves the problem before you do anything else.

If the problem persists then you could search for duplicate AFCADS. There was a freeware AFCAD finder available for FS9 but as far as I am aware there is nothing similar available for FSX. I use a payware product from Flight 1 called AFX which is very effective at finding all AFCAD files but it also does a lot of other things so just buying it to search for AFCADS would probably be overkill unless you have a huge amount of add-on scenery, as I do. You could do a manual search for duplicate AFCADS for your add-on airports, as you haven't got too many, by doing a search in FSX using the airport codes and looking for bgl files starting with AFX, APX or ADE (Orbx add-ons only I think) or containing the term AFCAD or ADEX, although they can occasionally be files with other terms. Be VERY careful however not to delete any of these files in case you need them again or they are not the cause of the problem and I would suggest just renaming the 'bgl' suffix as 'OFF' or something else. But try playing about with Rex first to see if that is the cause!

Hope this helps,

Bill

Hi Euan,

If they are the only add-on airports you have installed then there shouldn't be any problems with duplicate AFCADS, unless you had any previous non-default add-ons for these airports which you did not fully uninstall when adding these payware airports. I take it that the problem only occurs at these add-on airports and not your default airports?

With regard to Rex E+OD, I also use this but I did not activate the runway textures, so I guess that these may have something to do with the problem you are experiencing. It might just be worth deactivating that feature to see if is resolves the problem before you do anything else.

If the problem persists then you could search for duplicate AFCADS. There was a freeware AFCAD finder available for FS9 but as far as I am aware there is nothing similar available for FSX. I use a payware product from Flight 1 called AFX which is very effective at finding all AFCAD files but it also does a lot of other things so just buying it to search for AFCADS would probably be overkill unless you have a huge amount of add-on scenery, as I do. You could do a manual search for duplicate AFCADS for your add-on airports, as you haven't got too many, by doing a search in FSX using the airport codes and looking for bgl files starting with AFX, APX or ADE (Orbx add-ons only I think) or containing the term AFCAD or ADEX, although they can occasionally be files with other terms. Be VERY careful however not to delete any of these files in case you need them again or they are not the cause of the problem and I would suggest just renaming the 'bgl' suffix as 'OFF' or something else. But try playing about with Rex first to see if that is the cause!

Hope this helps,

Bill

Hi Bill,

That's absolutely great! I didn't know you could deactivate the runway textures for REX E+OD and I'll try that immediately. I'll get back to you if the problem is fixed but thank you for the amount of support already given! If the REX tweak doesn't work I'll consider the AFCADS file finder, but as it's a payware software, then I don't think the problem is so great as to have to pay to find a potential solution.

Once again thank you,

Euan 

If the REX tweak doesn't work I'll consider the AFCADS file finder, but as it's a payware software, then I don't think the problem is so great as to have to pay to find a potential solution.

You're welcome Euan,

Hopefully the Rex tweak should sort it for you, as you are very unlikely to have duplicate AFCADs unless you previously installed other versions of your payware airports. If turning off Rex runways doesn't work then, as you don't have a huge number of add-on airports, doing a manual search for AFCAD files shouldn't take too long.

Bill

You're welcome Euan,

Hopefully the Rex tweak should sort it for you, as you are very unlikely to have duplicate AFCADs unless you previously installed other versions of your payware airports. If turning off Rex runways doesn't work then, as you don't have a huge number of add-on airports, doing a manual search for AFCAD files shouldn't take too long.

Bill

How do I search manually for them? I've just never had this problem so I've never searched for them!

Euan

Open up the scenery folder then look in the world scenery for conflicting bgl files for your add-on scenery in the case of uk2000 scenery I have them installed and removed EGLL EGCC bgl files, and check the global scenery as default BGL files can cause the problem . 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

I guess deactivating the Rex runway markings didn't solve the issue then?

I don't think I have ever come across FSX default AFCAD files causing a problem and I would not expect them to (but I'm open to correction here) unless they are above the add-on airports in the scenery library which should not happen. But perhaps you need to check your scenery library to make sure that the FSX default scenery is at the bottom.

By the way I am assuming you don't have any addons other than the ones you listed? Ultimate Terrain for example can cause the sort of problem you describe.

With regard to manually searching for duplicate AFCADS, let's use EGCC as an example: Type EGCC into the search box on your FSX folder and it should come up with a list of any files containing EGCC; amongst those files look for ones containing any of the terms I mentioned above (AFD, AFX, ADE, AFCAD, ADEX) as these will be AFCAD files; ignore any files in the main UKXtreme EGCC folder as you want to keep these unaltered; rename any EGCC files in other folders which contain any of the above terms, by changing the bgl suffix to OFF (or anything else); then run FSX and go to EGCC to see if the problem still persists. You might have to repeat this process for each of your addon airports.

Bill

How do I search manually for them? I've just never had this problem so I've never searched for them!

Another way is to use Simple Airport Scanner.  It will search an locate duplicate airport files

Ernie

Ernest Pergrem

Another way is to use Simple Airport Scanner.  It will search an locate duplicate airport files

Ernie

Wasn't aware of the existence of that utility! It should make a search for duplicate AFCADS a little easier for Euan and hopefully he might be able to get to the bottom of his issue.

Bill

Wasn't aware of the existence of that utility! It should make a search for duplicate AFCADS a little easier for Euan and hopefully he might be able to get to the bottom of his issue.
Bill

Another way to do a manual search is use windows explorer like you would looking for a file.  In this case go to FSX in explorer and type in the four letter ICAO name.  If you were looking for Frankfurt you would type EDDF.  Once that is done you are looking for any files with a *.bgl.  Let us know what you find and we can help you get the correct files in place. :)

Are you running Global or Vector?

blaustern 

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Another way to do a manual search is use windows explorer like you would looking for a file.  In this case go to FSX in explorer and type in the four letter ICAO name.  If you were looking for Frankfurt you would type EDDF.  Once that is done you are looking for any files with a *.bgl.  Let us know what you find and we can help you get the correct files in place. :)

Are you running Global or Vector?

blaustern 

I guess deactivating the Rex runway markings didn't solve the issue then?

I don't think I have ever come across FSX default AFCAD files causing a problem and I would not expect them to (but I'm open to correction here) unless they are above the add-on airports in the scenery library which should not happen. But perhaps you need to check your scenery library to make sure that the FSX default scenery is at the bottom.

By the way I am assuming you don't have any addons other than the ones you listed? Ultimate Terrain for example can cause the sort of problem you describe.

With regard to manually searching for duplicate AFCADS, let's use EGCC as an example: Type EGCC into the search box on your FSX folder and it should come up with a list of any files containing EGCC; amongst those files look for ones containing any of the terms I mentioned above (AFD, AFX, ADE, AFCAD, ADEX) as these will be AFCAD files; ignore any files in the main UKXtreme EGCC folder as you want to keep these unaltered; rename any EGCC files in other folders which contain any of the above terms, by changing the bgl suffix to OFF (or anything else); then run FSX and go to EGCC to see if the problem still persists. You might have to repeat this process for each of your addon airports.

Bill

Sorry I haven´t replied in a while!

Regarding Blausterns suggestion of searching the ICAO code of the airport, that brought no conflicting files so I tried the 'Simple Airport Scanner' and that didn't bring anything up either. Also I'm not running Global or Vector.

For Bill, those are all the airports I have installed and as mentioned, I tried searching for the duplicates but nothing popped up. What other solutions are there?

Euan

For Bill, those are all the airports I have installed and as mentioned, I tried searching for the duplicates but nothing popped

I'm afraid that's got me stumped Euan! When I can't easily find the cause of a problem which arises in FSX, I always try to identify things that I might have changed in some way before the issue occurred. Sometimes, I can tell you from personal experience, that can involve a lot of head scratching as it might be something quite obscure.

You do however need to carefully look at the last few things you installed before the issue occurred and maybe temporarily uninstall them to see if the problem disappears. Also if the issue is happening at ALL of your addon airports, then maybe consider temporarily uninstalling Rex E+OD, just in case the runway textures were in some way left behind when you deactivated them.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help as I understand how frustrating these issues can become but if I can think of anything else to try I will let you know. Please let us know how you get on!

Cheers,

Bill