Sign in to follow this  
cx777

ELEC GEN 1 2 3 4 wont turn on.

After starting up my engines in PANC the electrical generators 1 2 3 4  will not turn on. If I turn off the APU the aircraft is left without power. any suggestions? could cold weather play a factor?

Neil.V

Can you post a screenshot of your overhead panel?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Did you accidentally hit the DRIVE DISConnect switches during preflight? This action cannot be reversed by pilot switch selection.

Also, I've noticed in beta videos that there is long delay between the engines reaching 50~55% N3/N2 and the GEN CONT OFF lights extinguishing. How long did you wait for the GEN CONT OFF lights to extinguish before turning off your APU?

Perhaps there is some RW pilot input required? As an engineer, I used to deselect the GEN CONT switches off for engine test runs on the ground, so I didn't get to see how long the GENT CONT OFF lights took to extinguish. I assumed they would extinguish one or two seconds after the N3's or N2's reached 50%~55% (depending on engine type). 

Cheers

John H Watson

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Ok I restarted the sim and tried to stat up the queen but shes still giving me problems I took some screenshots. I waited a few minutes before turning off the APU but still no ELEC GEN

Neil.v

Ok here are some screenshots this time ELEC GEN 3 and 4 will not turn on.

http://fsx%202017-02-10%2018-36-30-39.png

http://fsx%202017-02-10%2018-35-35-81.png

Did you try cycling them OFF then ON?

yep

Did you accidentally hit the DRIVE DISConnect switches during preflight? This action cannot be reversed by pilot switch selection.

Also, I've noticed in beta videos that there is long delay between the engines reaching 50~55% N3/N2 and the GEN CONT OFF lights extinguishing. How long did you wait for the GEN CONT OFF lights to extinguish before turning off your APU?

Perhaps there is some RW pilot input required? As an engineer, I used to deselect the GEN CONT switches off for engine test runs on the ground, so I didn't get to see how long the GENT CONT OFF lights took to extinguish. I assumed they would extinguish one or two seconds after the N3's or N2's reached 50%~55% (depending on engine type). 

Cheers

John H Watson

I did not hit DRIVE DISC

Hi, 

Which panel state did you load the 747 with?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

So if you didn't the specify a panel state, the 747 loads with the default panel state with engines running. What is the case?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

I guess you have checked the failures just in case?

And from the defaults state to the restart of the engines, did you go through a complete power off?

Can you state what you did when from shutting down the engine to restart?

The idea is to see if I can reproduce your issue.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

What i did was the following load up the sim in PANC temp -13C(active sky next in the background) once the aircraft initialized I turned on the APU,shuting off engines 1,2 and 4 leaving 3 on until the APU turned on. Once the APU was on I selected APU GEN 1 then shut off engine 3. After that i began the start up procedure packs 2 and 3 off pull 3&4 ignition and flip the fuel selector on and do the same for engines 1&2. still no ELEC GEN in 1 2 3 4.

Neil.V

Ok, I'll try that when I have finished my current flight (with the 747 off course!).

Is this issue occuring with a specific model, and with a specific engine type or with different ones?

Meanwhile can you try the following tests:

_ Load a different panel state (e.g.: C&D, short turnover...) and see if it happens as well?

_ Do the same as you did but also select the APU GEN 2 before shutting down the engine 3

_ Do different tests on the same procedures but select only the APU GEN 2 without the GEN 1, and the same procedure with the GPU instead of the APU

I'll run the same tests on my side at the end of my flight.

Edit: btw, for further posting, you'd better post in the specific 747 forum instead of the general one in order to keep the forum clean and tidy.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Ok I will do more test I suspect it might be the cold weather, I just tried the same procedure with the same aircraft 744ERF PW But in Miami with warmer weather and the electrical generators turned on after engine start.

This time I tested another model. The 744F GE in the same location same weather conditions same procedures,and it started up just fine, all the electric generators started up normally. Cant figure out why the 744ERF PW is giving me issues with electrical generators.

I haven't flown the PW engines version but I couldn't reproduce it with the GE and RR versions.

I don't why either.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg