Sign in to follow this  
Eamonn Watson

2017 Special Rules Posted

Dan, I found myself in almost the same position and I decided that I can only do what I can do. I've cobbled together a selection of aircraft, A2A'a P-51H, Epic, Sea Hornet and the F8,no? 6?, 5?F Tigercat. I will do my level best to be on call, do as I'm told, try not to crash and fill out the forms correctly.

Don't stress it, there are others that will do that for you. :BigGrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Dan, I found myself in almost the same position and I decided that I can only do what I can do. I've cobbled together a selection of aircraft, A2A'a P-51H, Epic, Sea Hornet and the F8,no? 6?, 5?F Tigercat. I will do my level best to be on call, do as I'm told, try not to crash and fill out the forms correctly.

Don't stress it, there are others that will do that for you. :BigGrin:

I hear ya.  I just don't want to embarrass myself crashing on landing, ya know?

Well, bedtime.  See you guys in about 8 hours.

32634443566_ac93fccbf6_t.jpg

Dan C (China Dan)
System: ASUS i7-6700K 4.0 GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1070 4GB @7680 x 1440 (3 x ASUS MX27AQ @2560 x 1440)
Software: Win 7 Ultimate SP1, FSX:SE

Gentlemen,

I have some concerns about the effect of the limitation on using normal aircraft.

As I am brand new to this, I have had to learn everything from scratch, and I didn't have the required aircraft installed (except the LDS763 which might be moot).

I successfully downloaded, installed, tested, and familiarized myself with the F-80 and the F7F.  I practiced for several hours with each - especially the F7F as I anticipated this would be the main aircraft I would fly.

However, with the rule about limiting the usage of normal aircraft, I went seeking more freeware aircraft from the Whitelist.  I have downloaded and installed the Milviz P-38, the F8F Bearcat, and the RR-SOH Sea Hornet NF.21.

My tests with these aircraft did not go well.  I will try more this evening (my last chance to practice before the race), however I have to find autopilots for them, install them, and still hope to have time to work out my problems with the handling of these aircraft.  Given more time I could probably do it, but I am not confident about tomorrow under race conditions.

I understand I am new, and my opinion counts for little, but I really think this limitation on normal aircraft is unwise.  I cannot see how it adds anything to the race, except a layer of complication merely for the sake of the complication.  Limiting the usage of thoroughbreds, and jet airliners, is quite understandable, though again, I'd question a limit on type within those categories.  Limiting by specific airframe within the "standard" normal category seems pointless.

Anyway, I don't expect that to change by my noob request, so I wish to advise, for the sake of tactical planning, that the only aircraft I have in which I am confident in operating reliably, are the F-80, the F7F, and the LDS763.

If the "allotment" for F7F gets used up, I'm not certain I could be successful in a leg needing a normal alternative aircraft.

Dan,

Good points all, and for me add in that I'm on P3D and there are NO P3D aircraft on the list. I've had to try to cobble together garbage fsx and fs9 aircraft, and try to add engine sounds etc. to try and make these really poor models useful. I can fly and land anything that has wings, but with the current whitelist aircraft, P3D is not a viable option for this venue. If folks are interested in adding P3D to this event, then it's going to be important to get some realistic aircraft options. Generally, every aircraft that I have tested and plan to use incorporate the most rudimentary dynamics and systems functionality and remind me of models available in the 1990's.  But the really funny part...in many cases we're using aircraft that are so very basic, but we can use autopilot and GPS...not very realistic. Going to give it a try this year, but I'm thinking this is something that may not hold my interest beyond.

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Dan, not to worry, and your opinion does matter.

This is the 1st year I'm serving on the executive committee for the race however I have helped them for the past couple years, your input is important and we do try to adapt to fit the situation and what people want.  Obviously not everyone has the same opinion so pleasing everyone is not possible but because we use the same world with the same ~24,000ish airports it can be a challenge to change it up each year.  The limits on aircraft are usually to prevent the race becoming a 1 or 2 airplane race.  The idea is to get the teams to use different aircraft to fit the various needs of each leg, obviously not every aircraft is great on every type of leg given weather, distance, time, terrain, airport runway length and so on.  Is it a perfect system, maybe, maybe not, however after the race has concluded we will take as much feedback as possible as many do enjoy this race and would like it to continue each year although the last couple years the race has struggled.

Somiller, I saw your post just as I was writing this.  P3D is relatively new and required major changes to allow into the race (Despite it being an offshoot of FSX).  Some of the aircraft that are FSX compatible are P3D compatible, I tested a couple of them a couple years ago on P3D version 2.4 however I do not know about P3D v3.

What we need is a list of P3D compatible aircraft that are race competitive.  We try not to make it so that one simulator has an advantage over another as much as is possible.  The whitelist may say FS9 or FSX however we have found that a large majority of the FS9 aircraft work in FSX albeit with some tweaking usually to textures and panels however I do not know about P3D.  What we need is someone to go through the current whitelist and state if they work in P3D or not and then submit suggestions for P3D aircraft and test them to get us a complete list.

Thanks,

spacer.png

Eamonn,

I want it to be clear that I'm not complaining...the rules are the rules and I believe rules apply to everyone equally - and I don't think the world should change for me. I am new and this all is a bit overwhelming as a first-timer. It's too late now to "certify" aircraft as P3D-whatever version functional/compatible, but I'd be happy to be involved in testing after the race is over, in the interest of future improvement.

Thanks,

Steven Miller

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

I just don't want to embarrass myself crashing on landing, ya know?

If you don't, you'll be the only one. Why should you be special? :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

If you don't, you'll be the only one. Why should you be special? :smile:

Sorry to disappoint Ron, I didn't crash.

I did however have an awful time with TeamSpeak.  JoinFS got a little funky too.

It is a problem with where I live; government censorship sometimes outright blocks VPN usage, and the Internet gets very slow whenever "sensitive" news is going around.  It just makes anything on the Internet really difficult.

But thanks for ride, everyone.  I got to fly a few legs, even as baton carrier one time.  I've lost my "Noob" free pass for next year :)

Well done Team Avsim; great organizing from the top, great team cooperation.  I enjoyed meeting and flying with you all.

See y'all next year!

32634443566_ac93fccbf6_t.jpg

Dan C (China Dan)
System: ASUS i7-6700K 4.0 GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX 1070 4GB @7680 x 1440 (3 x ASUS MX27AQ @2560 x 1440)
Software: Win 7 Ultimate SP1, FSX:SE