Sign in to follow this  
MattS

Looking for guidance on hyperthreading and overclocking

I'd like to hear your suggesrions HT and OC'ing. I have an i7 4790k on an aftermarket air cooler and GTX1060, both are on stock settings and I am using P3D without NI. I'd like to start stretching their legs so to speak, and I'm wondering what type of gains I could expect by overclocking them and possibly disabling HT. I have a home built PC dedicated to flight simming and I use it for nothing else. I feel that I get "acceptable" performance right now, and I'm wondering if I would see any noticeable performance increases. I'm looking for personal experiences with these topics specific to PMDG aircraft, and not just repeating what others have said. So much conjecture out there, and I'm trying to get some intelligent input from experienced users. Thanks for your thoughts.

What cooler and motherboard do you have? Overclocking the CPU would give you good gains, GPU not so much.

CPU HT ON AM=116

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

CPU HT ON AM=116

Hello, what do you base on when you set this?

I am using my system in signature with HT on, 6700k@4.5Ghz, I change AM from 14 to 254 and not notice any difference (which people said if HT on, change to 254).

So I leave almost everything as it is in FSX:SE.

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

My 4790K is air cooled at 4.4GHz but I've moved P3D to a 6700K liquid cooled 4.7GHz HT off.  If HT were on I'd have to slow her down to 4.5-4.6GHz.  I like HT off no affinity mask. Works great.

Dan Downs KCRP

What's the point of getting an i7 CPU if you turn off HT? may as well go for an i5.

because some people use thier computers for more than just flight simulation