Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

Move Windows 10 to SSD

All,

I currently have a PNY CS1131 240GB SSD, and I store P3D on it. I have 111GB left on it, and I was thinking about moving Windows on it, but would that mean I have to transfer all my videos, pictures, etc. onto it? Or can I just do strictly the OS? If I could just move the OS, what would be the easiest way possible?

Thanks,

Grant

As far as I know, there's no safe way to move an entire Windows OS from a drive to another one. In all cases that I know, you always get BSOD error  due to wrong hardware.

I wouldn't do that.

Just reinstall the whole thing. At least you'll have a clean registry.

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

Cant you clone the drive and load it on the other?

You can clone, you can load to another drive. However, you will encounter BSOD error and there's no way to fix that kind of errors.

You can clone, you can load to another drive. However, you will encounter BSOD error and there's no way to fix that kind of errors.

If you clone the drive, remove the original ssd. Boot with the new (cloned) drive. Then reconnect the original ssd and format it and assign it a new drive letter I can't see how that wouldn't works why do you guys think this will bsod?

If you clone the drive, remove the original ssd. Boot with the new (cloned) drive. Then reconnect the original ssd and format it and assign it a new drive letter I can't see how that wouldn't works why do you guys think this will bsod?

Many users think like the way you thought and already did the same. However, it won't work that way.

I've tried the same method because I want to switch to a higher drive when running out of storage space. However, BSOD errors came and nothing I can do. I've tried to uninstall drivers of the original SSD before cloning, it didn't work too.

I have a dual-boot system and have cloned many drives successfully using cloning software for several years. The drive being cloned cannot be the "C" drive,the active operating system.  I boot up on the other system with the drive being cloned and the drive being copied to, as for instance, "D" drive to "E" drive. Have never had a problem.

I have a dual-boot system and have cloned many drives successfully using cloning software for several years. The drive being cloned cannot be the "C" drive,the active operating system.  I boot up on the other system with the drive being cloned and the drive being copied to, as for instance, "D" drive to "E" drive. Have never had a problem.

Of course, I don't say we can't clone a normal drive that stores data. I just say we can't clone a drive that store Windows OS and make it works like before. That's also what @virtualflying is asking for.