Sign in to follow this  
PerWel

Activate PVD ?

Hi

How do I activate the PVD, Para Visual Display? Steps please.

I did try by entering the ILS data in the Nav/Rad page but nothing, PVD in front of me is just black.

Can not find anything in the FCOM, QRH or Intruduction!?

TIA

Per W Sweden

Directly from a 747-400 Ops Manual:

PVD Check
PVD switch (as fitted) ......................................................................Push
Observe PVD display.
PVD display ...........................................................RIGHT, LEFT, STOP

Display shutters when not within localizer coverage, or when ILS not
tuned.

Make sure that RWY LOC is tuned on the Navigation Radio Page and that your flight director is ON.

The highlighted may be your issue

I will go and try this now and report back to you.

How do I activate the PVD, Para Visual Display?

From the Intro Manual, page 42 (found by searching "pvd"):

The PVD will only activate when:
  • On the ground
  • PVD system is powered
  • At least two IRUs are in NAV
  • ILS is tuned
  • ILS signal is received
  • LOC deviation is less than 2.0 degrees
  • Within a 45 degree intercept course to the runway centerline
Additionally, the PVD, like the LOC indication, is based on amount of deviation, and not motion.

Please make it a point to read the Intro Manual. We put all of the common questions/issues in there because we anticipate stuff like this being a question. You'd save yourself a ton of time by popping the intro open for a few seconds and searching instead of typing things out and waiting here.

Kyle Rodgers

Per,

Per Kyle - into manual is KEY.

From my earlier post, I just tested it at CYVR - RWY08R and dropped the VIS to 1/8th mile.

ILS MUST be entered in to the RADIO Page in the FMC along with the radial - 109.50/081 <---for YVR RWY 08R

It works - make sure the brightness is turned up too!!!

• Upvote 1

From the Intro Manual, page 42 (found by searching "pvd"):

The PVD will only activate when:
  • On the ground
  • PVD system is powered
  • At least two IRUs are in NAV
  • ILS is tuned
  • ILS signal is received
  • LOC deviation is less than 2.0 degrees
  • Within a 45 degree intercept course to the runway centerline
Additionally, the PVD, like the LOC indication, is based on amount of deviation, and not motion.

Please make it a point to read the Intro Manual. We put all of the common questions/issues in there because we anticipate stuff like this being a question. You'd save yourself a ton of time by popping the intro open for a few seconds and searching instead of typing things out and waiting here.

-----------------------------------------------------------

I did a search with "pvd" and "para" and "para visual" in all three pdfs and the only thing I found was what PVD is a shortcut for. That is why I asked here on the forum.

But thank you I'll try to find it again in the intro doc.

PVD Check

PVD switch (as fitted) ......................................................................Push

Observe PVD display.

PVD display ...........................................................RIGHT, LEFT, STOP

Solved! It was pushing the PVD switch the one you set the brightness that was needed, label PVD above. It is a On/Off button.

I always read docs first and do searches in them or google when I have some problems. Last thing is always enter a question in a forum, like this.

I spent about an hour trying to make it work and could not find anything about Pushing the brightness knob, not even via google.

• Upvote 1

Per W Sweden

Ok I always do that but could not find anything anywhere in your docs/pdfs where it said to Push the brightness knob to activate it. It was Aircanada235's post that solved it.

But thanks anyway for responding. When I started my IT career (25+ years ago) I worked at tech support and we called some cases RTFM. Read The Fu#&¤/ng Manual :Tounge:

Per W Sweden

Ok I always do that but could not find anything anywhere in your docs/pdfs where it said to Push the brightness knob to activate it. It was Aircanada235's post that solved it.

But thanks anyway for responding. When I started my IT career (25+ years ago) I worked at tech support and we called some cases RTFM. Read The Fu#&¤/ng Manual :Tounge:

Same here, I couldn't find anything about the power switch for the PVD in the intro manual. Nor in the FCOM for that matter. Listing "PVD is powered" as a requirement isn't immediately clear if there's no description about how that is achieved.

Kind regards,

Alan

Good info, brothers, was having trouble myself.  This info should sort it.

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

2 hours ago, sd75lover said:

Where is the PVD switch?

There is no switch. It is activated by selecting it in page 18 of Aircraft Equipment. See page 45 of the Introduction Manual for operation of this option.

On 12/02/2017 at 6:39 AM, AirCanada235 said:

Make sure that RWY LOC is tuned on the Navigation Radio Page and that your flight director is ON.

Strange.... I can't find any mention of the Flight Director having to be on in my manuals. I even have a video of the real PVD operating and providing guidance without the FD selected on.

I might have to disagree with this one, Kyle. It's at least partly based on motion. Localizer deviation rate is one of the inputs into the PVD computer. Other inputs include airplane yaw rate and "cross body acceleration" (Don't ask me what the latter is, but it sounds like motion is involved :D )

Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

On 13/03/2017 at 2:08 PM, pcubine said:

There is no switch. It is activated by selecting it in page 18 of Aircraft Equipment. See page 45 of the Introduction Manual for operation of this option.

Yes there is - as mentioned in a number of posts above. The "switch" is pushing the PVD dimmer which is in the panel that controls CPT's display brightnesses amongst other things. As also mentioned above the PVD switch is mentioned in the FCOM - which doesn't cover the PMDG options page in the CDU.

Cheers

Paul Hand

On 3/13/2017 at 0:43 AM, Qavion2 said:

I might have to disagree with this one, Kyle. It's at least partly based on motion. Localizer deviation rate is one of the inputs into the PVD computer. Other inputs include airplane yaw rate and "cross body acceleration" (Don't ask me what the latter is, but it sounds like motion is involved :D )

The point was to point out that it will still show movement if you're tracking parallel to the runway centreline while still offset. If you want to get into the minutia, then go ahead, but the main point is that it'll still be moving even if you're not continuing to deviate from the course.

Kyle Rodgers