Sign in to follow this  
Rizalini

Departing waypoints

Thanks in advance for the help and info to everyone! I am new to the PMDG 737, as I was tired of flying the default planes in FSX SE, and wanted a more realistic experience. Boy did I get more than I bargained for with the PMDG series planes. Not complaining, but there's a lot of learning involved for sure. Especially with the FMC. I have watched numerous video tutorials for programming the FMC with my flight route, but I haven't found any that tell you how you know which departing waypoint is correct. My test flight that I keep doing until I get it correct is from Las Vegas (KLAS) to Los Angeles (KLAX). I use Route Finder to generate my route, which only has one waypoint, which is Hector (HEC). I have no problems programming that into my FMC, but I get confused when selecting a departing waypoint. Even when I select my runway, there are still a multitude of departures, some that take me way out of my way! Can someone please shed some light on this for me please?

Try Flightaware.com, you'll generally find routes from the airlines. From Las Vegas to Los Angeles, it's generally the BOACH1 (or 2 or 3) to HEC, then the RIIVR2 arrival. Otherwise, the only other way to know which departure procedure to use is to look at the charts, which you can find on Airnav.com for US airports.

• Upvote 1

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I use Route Finder to generate my route, which only has one waypoint, which is Hector (HEC). I have no problems programming that into my FMC, but I get confused when selecting a departing waypoint.

Because the SID and the STAR both end and start at HEC..., so now you get to learn about terminal procedures.

Dan Downs KCRP

Because the SID and the STAR both end and start at HEC..., so now you get to learn about terminal procedures.

Terminal procedures huh...? Please tell me more!

And thank you for sharing your knowledge with me, it is very much appreciated.

So your terminal procedures are your SIDs and STARs. The SID is the Standard Instrument Departure, and the STAR is the Standard Terminal Arrival Route (I think). The purpose of those is to have you on an organized route from take-off to a waypoint or from a waypoint to the ground. In the case of your LAS to LAX route, that waypoint is HEC. This route is a little unique in that this particular way point is not only the transition from the end of a SID, but it also happens to be a transition to the beginning of a STAR, so on this particular route, as soon as you have completed the SID, you are already on the STAR.

When you're in flight, you have your airways that'll take you from waypoint to waypoint, and that's so things are a little more organized in the air. Think of it as the interstate highways (assuming you're from the United States). Traffic doesn't go wherever they want, they have to followed a specific path. The SID and STAR would be the path to and from the airport.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Thank you both very much. The information you have both given me has been very helpful in giving me a better understanding for planning a route. I now use Flightaware to help me plan my route, and it's great! Thanks for the suggestion Cpt. Kevin.

I was afraid to ask such a novice question on a site that seems (to me anyway) to be full of experts and real life pilots. Thanks again for educating me, and not making me feel foolish. Much appreciated

I was afraid to ask such a novice question on a site that seems (to me anyway) to be full of experts and real life pilots. Thanks again for educating me, and not making me feel foolish. Much appreciated

Everybody has to start somewhere. For what it's worth, I have never flown a real plane at any point in my life, and I wouldn't really say I'm an expert in the matter, either. I've just been flying in the simulator long enough to have half an idea as to what's going on half the time.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Thanks again for educating me, and not making me feel foolish.

We might get a little blunt if your question could have been answered in the Introduction document, a must read, the Tutorial, a must do, or the FCOM although in this case I usually provide a brief answer and a page reference.  There is a lot to learn.

A very good source for anyone at the 'student pilot' level is the FAA Airman's Information Manual (AIM).  The AIM was my bible when I was working on my PL. Free here: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/

There is also an Instrument Flying Manual, which goes into more detail about SIDs and STARs as well as navigation, procedures, approaches, etc. Same source as above.

Dan Downs KCRP

There is a lot to learn.

That's an understatement. I thought I had a solid grasp of what I was doing from flying the default FSX planes. Boy was I in for a rude awakening when I purchased the PMDG 737. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but being a stay at home dad to an 11 month old has really shortened my time to just read a manual. So I find myself watching tutorial videos on YouTube when I go to the bathroom due to lack of free time I have. And when I do get some, I fire up FSX and just try to figure things out for myself. Again, you both have been a big help, thanks again.

So I find myself watching tutorial videos on YouTube when I go to the bathroom due to lack of free time I have.

I prefer reading to watching videos, my attention span just isn't up to it.  Get the AIM and read it in a tablet in the throne room.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks in advance for the help and info to everyone! I am new to the PMDG 737, as I was tired of flying the default planes in FSX SE, and wanted a more realistic experience. Boy did I get more than I bargained for with the PMDG series planes. Not complaining, but there's a lot of learning involved for sure. Especially with the FMC. I have watched numerous video tutorials for programming the FMC with my flight route, but I haven't found any that tell you how you know which departing waypoint is correct. My test flight that I keep doing until I get it correct is from Las Vegas (KLAS) to Los Angeles (KLAX). I use Route Finder to generate my route, which only has one waypoint, which is Hector (HEC). I have no problems programming that into my FMC, but I get confused when selecting a departing waypoint. Even when I select my runway, there are still a multitude of departures, some that take me way out of my way! Can someone please shed some light on this for me please?

Rizalini, you can also use SimBrief.com. It's a free to use online pre-flight planner (Professional Flight Planner X has way more functions but that's payware). It gives you the required fuel and automatically selects the most appropriate SID's and STAR's. Give it a try, I think you'll love it!

Former MSFS Alpha Tester, current member of the MSFS Stream Team.

Hi guys, can you please tell me how to use flightaware to plan the routes for a journey?  I've tried the IFR Analyzer using FACT and EHAM but nothing comes up.  Am I in the wrong place on the site for this? I'm not sure which menu option I should be using on their drop downs!

Cheers

James Smith

7 minutes ago, junkyspam7 said:

Hi guys, can you please tell me how to use flightaware to plan the routes for a journey?  I've tried the IFR Analyzer using FACT and EHAM but nothing comes up.  Am I in the wrong place on the site for this? I'm not sure which menu option I should be using on their drop downs!

Cheers

James Smith

Flightaware is generally used as a source for the flightplan, it is not a flight planning tool.  For example, you may wish to plan a flight KSFO-KIAD and want to use a realistic route for today's weather.  Use Flight Finder to select a KSFO-KIAD flight.  Right now, UAL 309 a B739 is scheduled to leave soon and the flight plan is TRUKN2 MOGEE Q122 KURSE Q122 ONL IOW BDF ROD APE AIR J162 MGW GIBBZ2 . A flight planning tool such as PFPX will then take that route and you add the ZFW and given aircraft characterisitics it calculates your fuel requirements and provides a complete fllight operational plan.

Dan Downs KCRP

7 minutes ago, junkyspam7 said:

It's probably not in their data area (I think the EU also restricts access to certain data). They only get flight plan data in certain areas, like here in the States.

Kyle Rodgers

9 minutes ago, downscc said:

Flightaware is generally used as a source for the flightplan, it is not a flight planning tool.  For example, you may wish to plan a flight KSFO-KIAD and want to use a realistic route for today's weather.  Use Flight Finder to select a KSFO-KIAD flight.  Right now, UAL 309 a B739 is scheduled to leave soon and the flight plan is TRUKN2 MOGEE Q122 KURSE Q122 ONL IOW BDF ROD APE AIR J162 MGW GIBBZ2 . A flight planning tool such as PFPX will then take that route and you add the ZFW and given aircraft characterisitics it calculates your fuel requirements and provides a complete fllight operational plan.

Got it!  Now I understand where to do it and it makes sense.  Thanks downscc!

James Smith