Sign in to follow this  
stevefocus

Left CDU light failure? (probably me doing something wrong)

As title suggests I am currently on route to EGLL and noticed the lights on the keys for the left CDU are no longer lit, is there a knob for this? As far as i'm aware the aisle stand panel knob is the one that controls the back lighting for that section, am i wrong?

Left%20CDU%20light%20failure.png

Just an update had to reload P3D before I OOM'ed, when it loaded up the lights on the left CDU were on again.

As far as i'm aware the aisle stand panel knob is the one that controls the back lighting for that section, am i wrong?

You are correct. The only time the dimmer knob doesn't work is when there is no power to AC Electrical Bus #4. In that case, the light intensity is fixed (not bright, not dim)

Cheers

John H Watson.

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Can i ask when this happened were the keys a grey blue colour but when you used the pop up it was normal?  I was going to open up a new post with what looks like the same issue but i cant tell from your image if its the same or not?

Jason Dilley

Can i ask when this happened were the keys a grey blue colour but when you used the pop up it was normal?  I was going to open up a new post with what looks like the same issue but i cant tell from your image if its the same or not?

The keys were normal but without the back lighting but the pop up was fine, if you have a look at the right CDU you should be able to see the difference.

The keys were normal but without the back lighting but the pop up was fine, if you have a look at the right CDU you should be able to see the difference.

Yeah i tried opening the image and zooming but it was still difficult to see, im going to attach my image as well as its clearly the same problem i feel but need to log on to my PC to do that.  Just out of curiosity not that i see how it can effect it? Was you using the FLYUK livery at the time?  I was, Heathrow to Rio and its the first time i've seen this problem and its not the first time ive flown at night with the 747.

Edit: This is what mine was like, pop up appeared normal and lit correctly.  i too have also quickly jumped into the cockpit this morning at night and it was lit normal again.

isVrn1N.jpg

Jason Dilley

Yeah i tried opening the image and zooming but it was still difficult to see, im going to attach my image as well as its clearly the same problem i feel but need to log on to my PC to do that.  Just out of curiosity not that i see how it can effect it? Was you using the FLYUK livery at the time?  I was, Heathrow to Rio and its the first time i've seen this problem and its not the first time ive flown at night with the 747.

Edit: This is what mine was like, pop up appeared normal and lit correctly.  i too have also quickly jumped into the cockpit this morning at night and it was lit normal again.

No my CDU was not like that, just no back light, I was using FlyUK livery at the time but I don't know how that could affect it (could be wrong). Hopefully someone from PMDG will jump in here in the next couple of days.

No my CDU was not like that, just no back light, I was using FlyUK livery at the time but I don't know how that could affect it (could be wrong). Hopefully someone from PMDG will jump in here in the next couple of days.

Not having installed a livery before, not sure if it saved a panel state along with it. If it did, it's entirely possible that there was a glitch with it that resulted in this happening.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

If anyone is ever looking for a direct response, as mentioned in the Intro and our website, you need to submit a ticket. That's the only way to guarantee a response.

As for this issue, however, I'm kinda stuck. If it's a third party livery, we can't really support it (particularly if they created a .ini file that's causing this). If it's fine in our liveries, but not in this one, well...

Kyle Rodgers

If anyone is ever looking for a direct response, as mentioned in the Intro and our website, you need to submit a ticket. That's the only way to guarantee a response.

As for this issue, however, I'm kinda stuck. If it's a third party livery, we can't really support it (particularly if they created a .ini file that's causing this). If it's fine in our liveries, but not in this one, well...

Thanks for the response Kyle, i will check with our fleet painter for our VA but im pretty positive the VA doesnt provide .ini files at all as they leave it up to us to elect our option, i know for the 737 and 777 that in the operations centre, when you selected the option for livery specific strings it was always blank as there was no .ini file at all.

Jason Dilley

In all of the tech, and beta testing, combined with following post release issues, I've never seen this. What programs are you using while you're using the 744?

Kyle Rodgers

In all of the tech, and beta testing, combined with following post release issues, I've never seen this. What programs are you using while you're using the 744?

Myself personally it was P3D, AS16 and ASN, and the VA SkyTrack was running in the background.  I was about 8 hours into an 11 hour flight when it started to get dark so i switched on all the relevant panel lights.  Looked down and noticed my left FMC had what id say different colour lighting, as you can see it was a more modern blue colour, nice but obviously not right.  Pop up looked normal.  I believe Steve's in the first example had no background lights at all.

Jason Dilley

I use P3Dv3, AS16, ASCA, ORBX Global, Vector, Open LC Europe and North America and Trees HD. I have completed 4-5 long haul flights with a couple of BA liveries for BAV and have not had a problem, so it must be very rare.

I have encountered the exact same problem as the OP just now on  flight from PANC to RCTP.  Flight started in the day, and concluded in darkness.  Left CDU not back lit.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.