Sign in to follow this  
zippydippy

FSX sound file alias not working - some pointers needed

I'm trying to change a sound file on an aircraft and not having much luck. I have downloaded a great 747 model but the engines are default and sound poor. On the other hand I have some great 747 models with amazing engine sounds. I want to move the quality engine sounds into the other model, and have tried the [fltsim] alias=B747_400\sound method and it doesn't work, leaving me with no sound at all in the new model.

Any pointers on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

The method does work but the path has to be correct.

Make a new sound.cfg file and place it into the sound folder of your

aircraft.

[fltsim]
alias=The folder name of the aircraft with the sound you want\Its sound folder.

For example, you want the default 747 to have the sounds of the default Cessna 172.

You delete or rename the sound.cfg file in the b747_400\sound folder and replace it with a new

sound.cfg file that reads like this:

[fltsim]
alias=C172\sound

OR.......You simply COPY the sound folder from the "GOOD" aircraft into the aircraft folder of the "POOR" sounding

one overwriting it.  Easy-peasy :wink:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

If you've got the drive space, then not using aliases is easier and it has an added advantage if/when you come to get rid of certain aircraft/versions. You don't have to remember which one holds the main sound config etc.

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Thanks for your replies everyone. 

The first thing I did was your method nolonger - I cut the entire sound folder from the 747, I created a new sound.cfg folder (as a prototype I cut and paste your exact example of the C172) and then put that into the sound folder of the 747. Unfortunately all I got was silence again and no sound. Did I do something wrong here?

charliearon - I have also copied the entire sound folder from the good a/c into the poor one as you suggest, but with one difference - instead of overwriting the old sound folder, I cut it first and then replaced it with the good/new one. This also just leaves me with total silence. Any ideas?

BTW I restarted the Flt sim fresh every time after making these changes.

Thanks to all, inc. HighBypass as well :)

Stop press everyone and ignore last comment by me! I tried charliearon's method a second time and this time it worked - the difference was I cut the contents of the quality file into a new sound folder, rather than bring the entire folder in. 

Anyway, thanks so much to all of you, and happy flying. :)

Sometimes the developer calls the sound folder something else, 'sound.ak' or 'sound2' or something. Check the aircraft.cfg and look at the textures, what sound folder do they direct to? It may be a question of renaming. 

• Upvote 1