Sign in to follow this  
Demious

Slow response and hang-ups

Most of the time the remote CDU works fine, but regularly I notice that the response back and forth between pc and tablet gets slowed down, that I'm waiting for the signal to send for like 30seconds or more. Also, when the slowing gets to its worst, I get complete hang-ups, that the remote CDU doesnt repsond at all, for extended periods of time, this can be 5 minutes, but also 15-20minutes.

The CDU in the sim is still usable, but the remote CDU is not following along.

What might be wrong and what can I do about it?

Cheers!

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

what device/browser are you using?

The only time I have seen such behavior was with a very poor wifi connection where the tablet was losing its connection. How is your reception?

Regards

Mark

• Upvote 1

Mark Foti

Author of aviaworx - https://www.aviaworx.com

logo_avsim.png

Using Samsung SM550-T and I used Chrome to setup a browser window as app.

On my tablet it shows that the wifi-connection is as high as it can be, although it does go up and down a bit, at times, but nothing dramatic, or anything...

I noticed that when I get those hang-ups, when I use the app, the CDU in the sim still follows along, only what happens in the sim doesnt follow along on the app. After a while the page on the app jumps to relevant one and it works for a while again, but at some point it will get stuck again.

I'm using Win10 64-bit, with P3D v3.4.18, PMDG 747v3, just in case that info might be useful.

Cheers!

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

what version of Android is that running?

Do you have a different device you could test?

Me personally I'm using an old Nexus 7 from 2012 which has become too slow for daily usage but does a good job as a CDU. Also running Chrome.

So I can't say I've seen the issues you are reporting.

Is your PC connected to the network using cable or also WiFi?

Regards

Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Android 5.1.1

I had to borrow one, but I got it tested now and it works the same on both tablets.

I noticed that when I touch the screen, when the app is seemingly frozen, the screen reacts to my touch. Also the CDU in the VC repsonds to this signal, it's only the picture on the tablet that stays frozen.

My pc is connected by cable

Cheers!

Maarten

A strong signal alone is not a definitive indication of a good wifi signal.  If you have a neighbor or neighbors running high-bandwidth across the same wifi channel, it can make an otherwise strong wifi signal nearly unusable for real-time applications.

I moved my iPads to 5GHz for this reason...neighbor's kid was streaming video from their 2.4GHz wifi router and it was clobbering my wifi in the house.  Moving wifi channels and/or bands might be worth a try.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Maarten,

can you open this site on your tablet's browser and see what sort of up/download rates you get?

http://speedof.me/

See if you have fluctuating speeds or if its constant.

Regards

Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

I moved my iPads to 5GHz for this reason...neighbor's kid was streaming video from their 2.4GHz wifi router and it was clobbering my wifi in the house.  Moving wifi channels and/or bands might be worth a try.

I tried this, let's see if this makes some improvement.

can you open this site on your tablet's browser and see what sort of up/download rates you get?

http://speedof.me/

See if you have fluctuating speeds or if its constant.

I did a series of tests and I got some fluctuating results:

Test 1:  2.28 Mbps Down / 0.62 Mbps Up

Test 2:  1.53 Down / 0.27 Up

Test 3:  3.60 Down / 0.62 Up

Test 4:  2.20 Down / 0.78 Up

Test 5:  2.89 Down / 0.50 Up

Test 6:  1.68 Down / 0.59 Up

Cheers!

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

those values show quite a bit of fluctuation.

Can you please run the same test on your PC and compare?

Regards

Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Sure, here it goes:

Test 1: 17.19 Mbps Down  /  16.20 Mbps Up

Test 2: 110.14 Down  /  10.78 Up

Test 3: 143.85 Down  /  15.82 Up

Test 4: 162.51 Down  /  16.11 Up

Test 5: 166.12 Down  /  15.28 Up

Cheers!

Maarten

Ok that would indicate that you are losing a lot of bandwidth through WiFi (1-2% of your router's capacity!)

Yes, the suggestion with 5GHz is a good one - the 2.4 GHz spectrum is often saturated in cities.

What sort of download rates do you see on the tablet after making the switch?

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

Download rates have changed dramatically:

Test1: 32.98 Down / 0.67 Up

Test2: 35.01 Down / 15.45 Up

Test3: 33.68 Down / 16.01 Up

Test4: 28.15 Down / 14.13 Up

Test5: 30.70 Down / 15.81 Up

The speed of response from PC to tablet, as well as tablet to PC has increased loads. When I push a button on the FMC, I immediatelly see the FMC in the VC respond, but still, the picture on the FMC doesnt always change accordingly. Its clear that the PC has recognised the changes I made, but it can take up to several minutes for the picture on the FMC to change.

To me it doesnt seem that there is any problem with slow data between the FMC and the VC, it s just the picture ont eh FMC that gets stuck.

Cheers!

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

it's good to see your download rates have increased on your tablet.

I'm not too sure what you mean by "The speed of response from PC to tablet, as well as tablet to PC has increased loads. "?

Do you have any antivirus or firewall application running on your PC (other than default MS)? If so, try disabling them temporarily. What about other addons?

Do you have a different PC/Notebook connected through network where you could try the CDU to see what's causing this?

The typical delay should be within 1 sec from key press to seeing an updated screen - definitely not more than 10 secs or even a minute. This is the first time I am reading about this and I'm currently clueless as to the cause.

Best Regards

Mark

Mark Foti

logo_avsim.png

What I mean by that is that signals send between 2 machines can often have a little delay, but now I dont see any noticable delay at all, so the hang-ups are unlikely caused by a slow signal.

I understand your predicament, things like this are, as far as I have seen, always related to delay in the signal, but I can keep using the buttons on the tablet FMC and the FMC in the VC responds at the same time, with no delay at all, while the picture on the tablet doesnt change.

I can pick up my old laptop afrom a friend, this evening. I'll have a look if that makes any difference.

Cheers!

Maarten