Sign in to follow this  
Wahoom

Is a 60hz monitor enough for P3D?

Hi everyone,

I'm getting a new pc and I'm not sure what monitor to buy...

I decided that a TV is too big and found out that 4K monitors are "only" 60hz. Would you guys recommend a 144hz monitor or is 60hz enough?

Does it really get the frames down?

Thanks for every help!

Wahoom, you'll not need more than 60Hz like most LED monitors offer. This is the vertical sync frequency and is not related to your FPS, and you my get 150 FPS e. g. whatever monitor you use. It will ONLY limit FPS if you activate Vsync in your settings either to 60 FPS (or 30 with half sync). It's better to have higher resolution like 2560x1440. 

Have fun

Fritz

Would not 144hz still be smoother, aside form FPS?

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Boomer said:

Only if you were able to maintain 144 FPS or more. High refresh-rate monitors are popular with first-person-shooter gamers because they want very fast motion with no lag. With FSX or P3D, you'd certainly get screen tearing at that refresh rate and using vsync to correct it would just limit your frame rates to what you'd get with a 60Hz monitor anyway. It might be worth buying one for other games but not flight sims.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

What I've noticed with my 144 hz monitor, is not in games, but the desktop. Everything much smoother and snappier. I wouldn't go back to 60 hz. 

Hi Folks,

If I understood the conversations Rob A posted - for flight sim - a sim with relatively slow screen changes - the smoothest perceived performance comes from a 30 Hz monitor with the frames locked at 30... This is due to the fact that there is yet to be a machine made that can run P3D with the sliders maxed at a consistent 60 FPS... The 30/30 eliminates or greatly reduces the dreaded micro stutter... Look for Rob A's posts...

Regards,
Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

10 hours ago, Boomer said:

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

On 12/02/2017 at 3:07 PM, Pegaso said:

the vertical sync frequency and is not related to your FPS, and you my get 150 FPS e. g. whatever monitor you use. It will ONLY limit FPS if you activate Vsync in your settings

:blink:

That kind of suggests your 60Hz monitor can display 150fps, which it can't.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

4 minutes ago, MarkDH said:

:blink:

That kind of suggests your 60Hz monitor can display 150fps, which it can't.

Technically both are correct.  The output from the sim may be 1,000,000 fps, and will remain so w/o vsync.  With a 60hz monitor you will only ever see 60 individual fps.  And it actually may seem less smooth, since in the 60-120 fps range the sim may update the frame buffer more often than it can be displayed, dropping some frames - and some eyes may perceive that as 'stutters' - oh the irony :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

50 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

Technically both are correct

I am assuming you replied to the wrong message since your message doesn't seem to be a response to mine.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

I agree, it is difficult to achieve a 60 Hz framerate. My 43 in Samsung monitor is capable of running 30Hz. I followed Rob’s advice and have been very happy with this device.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

1 hour ago, scottb613 said:

Look for Rob A's posts...

Anyone have links please? 

spacer.png