Sign in to follow this  
darren46

age old dreaded oom help please

Hi ive been a fsx user for many years like many ive built up a large library of addons both airports planes and scenery

my last rig was a very mediocre pc but never had many omm problems ive now got a new pc higher spec with windows 10

and now I cannot even make a short flight namely Bristol to Dublin without getting oomed on approach to Dublin ive read many threads and tried everything I use scenery config and turn almost everything off leaving only the two aiports on and orbx global . vector ,and England Ireland scenery but still arriving at Dublin oom this is now my set up

gigabyte mobo z170 gaming

i5 6600k running at 4.3ghz

NVidia GeForce 10603gb

memory 8 gb

I know more info is probably needed and I will try and answer anything as best I can but I'm not a real techy when it comes to pc stuff/ the only tweak I have is fsx cfg highmem fix and lod 5.5

forgot to add the plane I use is pmdg 737

many thanks

Darren

8GB of system memory is the bare minimum, you are better off with 16GB.

That said, you should not be running out of memory.

Right click on your start button or taskbar and select Task Manager, click on the Performance tab [at the top], then left click the Memory [rectangle] on the left of the screen. In the open area of the bottom right of that screen you will see how much memory you have In use (compressed), Committed, Cached, and most importantly Available.

The two most common things that cause an out of memory message is to many things running in the background, under normal use, or a virus.

The following is a video explaining how to get the most out of Windows 10.  Note:  Although the Anniversery Edition in mentioned, it applies to all current Microsoft Windows 10 users.  Also, he is using Windows 10 Pro, so, some of the screens may look a little different from yours.  He does explain some differences on where things are in the non-Pro version of Win 10.

Like you I have a very large number of scenery and aircraft addons. Because of problems with OOMs, I tend to monitor VAS usage during my flights and I did a flight a couple of days ago from Southend (UKXtreme) to Dublin (Aerosoft) using the PMDG 737 with all addon scenery (including all FTX scenery) deactivated. I noticed that the VAS usage while landing at Dublin came within 300MB of the dreaded 4GB threshold and I am pretty sure that if I had had my FTX Global/OpenLC EUR/Ireland/England scenery active then it would have tipped the balance and I would have suffered an OOM. You didn't mention if you are using Aerosoft Dublin, but, if you are, although it looks beautiful, it is a notorious resource hog and combining it with a resource hungry aircraft and Orbx scenery may just be too much.

You have a rig that is quite a bit more powerful than mine so you should be able to do that flight without an OOM. It might however be worth considering reducing your LOD setting back to default when flying with a resource intensive scenario. With regard to increasing your RAM from 8GB to 16GB, although that should improve the performance of FSX overall, it will NOT make OOMs any less likely. I won't go into the reason for that here apart from saying that essentially OOMs are related to the amount of Virtual Address Space (VAS) that FSX is using. The 'memory' the OOM error message refers to however is not RAM, so increasing RAM will not help. When the VAS usage hits 4GB an OOM occurs, because of the inability of a 32-bit application such as FSX to use any more than 4GB. You will find plenty about this somewhat confusing issue if you search the Avsim forums.

Hope this helps a little!

Bill

Thanks for that Dan8 I will take a look at this and let you know, also thanks Scianoir I will try your suggestions as well it is aerosoft Dublin I use. Thanks to both of you for your replies much appreciated this oom business is a nightmare for many .

Hi Darren,

Have you had a chance to read the FS9/FSX/P3D CTD v3 Guide on the right side of the page?  There may be something in there that may be of some help.  Further to that I used to have less problems when I used Steve's DX10 Fixer.  Maybe you can get a few opinions on that.  

Good luck,

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Thanks for that Hussar ive down loaded ctdv3 and will look over it thanks for the pointers much appreciated

Darren

I second that;  DX10 solved my OOM problem. 

Further to that I used to have less problems when I used Steve's DX10 Fixer.  Maybe you can get a few opinions on that.  

Interesting nobody has commented on the fact that you have LOD set to 5.5...

The DX10 fixer can help with reducing the VAS footprint of FSX. If you are still reaching the VAS limit, then you might want to dial your LOD back to the official maximum value of 4.5.

A

Darren,

I've been running FSX for years with 8Gb RAM and on Windows 7 64-bit it's absolutely fine. Adding another 8Gb will not help your situation in a 32-bit application where the maximum memory usage cannot exceed 4Gb.

You have a memory-hungry aircraft (PMDG737), Addon airports will further eat into VAS but I think the biggest consumer is your LOD setting and using Orbix Vector.

As advised by others put your LOD back to 4.5 and try the flight again. The easiest way of monitoring VAS is to use the facility in FSUIPC.  This is how you do it...

Go to the FSUIPC logging tab. Enter 024C in one of the 'specific value checks' boxes (0 = zero, not the letter O). Change the 'type' from S8 to S32 and check one of the available options where you want to show the remaining available VAS (I would go for the upper title bar because showing it on screen may result in stutters).

Make that once change to the LOD and see what difference it makes. If you still run out of VAS try disabling Vector. That is very hard on VAS.

All these addons are very nice but compromises have to be made to stay within the 4Gb limit.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Interesting nobody has commented on the fact that you have LOD set to 5.5...

Not true - Bill (scionair) mentioned just that in the second paragraph.  With that being said....I will also vouch that DX10 solved my OOM issues but still need to be watchful with LOD and other settings.

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL

Not true - Bill (scionair) mentioned just that in the second paragraph.  With that being said....I will also vouch that DX10 solved my OOM issues but still need to be watchful with LOD and other settings.

I am considering DX10 Fixer but I don't get OOMs without it. Consider it icing on the cake rather than mandatory to prevent OOMs.

I suspect increasing the LOD has had a massive impact on available memory. And if you're flying a B737 at 20,000ft + do you really benefit from a higher LOD setting? I suspect not.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi, Darren!

I guess this is not what you would like to hear, but...

on approach to Dublin

If this is Aerosoft Dublin, have some reading around FS forums. This particular addon is one of the top worst airport performers.
I do not personally have it, but many people complain it OOMs like hell.

leaving only the two aiports on and orbx global . vector ,and England Ireland scenery

ORBX Vector may be a VAS killer, same for ORBX regions. So when you add AS Dublin to it, the equation has a very bad score, I am afraid.

If you really want to make Dublin to the gate, I am afraid you may need to think of deactivating the ORBX addons for that flight. Try and see if it solves the problem.

Hi rafal what you say about the airport may make sense as ive made other flights from Bristol to schipol and managed it right to the gate this obviously meaning no region orbx in this area just orbx global and vetor

Hi Ray thanks for your advice I have been thinking of ticking dx10 but previously I could never get the filtering good always jagged lines never smooth

just one thing guys I have two drives a 1tb hhd with os on and others and a 250gb ssd dedicated to fsx as I say I'm not a pc techy so don't now if this is a problem

just one thing guys I have two drives a 1tb hhd with os on and others and a 250gb ssd dedicated to fsx as I say I'm not a pc techy so don't now if this is a problem

You can run FSX on SATA with no issues.  Definitely no impact on OOM in any case.

Ilya Eydis, PPL, ASEL