Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Northern MN Vistas (please view)

I hope you enjoy these shots.  I've seen these views in real life too, and I really think XP11 and Ortho4XP is a match made in heaven.  I'm trying some new art controls presets too.  I still think things are a little too blue but maybe I'm just used to MSFS from all the years hehe.

I've just departed KDLH NNW towards Hibbing, MN KHIB in the recently completed Cirrus Vision Jet.  I've climbed to 10,500 ft as it makes a really nice point to do some picture taking from.  You can see the taconite ore mining (it's a low grade iron ore product) in progress around Hibbing and Eveleth, MN KEVM.  After that I head back to Duluth and climb VFR to 17,500 ft and you can see the SW tip of Lake Superior as I approach it from the NW.  I overfly my office at the KDLH airport and then I've taken some shots around the harbor and also of Superior, WI KSUW.  Finally I drop the power and head back to KDLH for an overhead approach from 4500 and land on Ry 27.  In the 4th shot from the bottom my house is visible, essentially where those curly roads meet near the bottom center of the frame is where I live.

All this can be had for the cost of XP11 beta I think 60 USD or so.  All of the scenery is free, you just need a lot of HDD space!

Untitled-3_75.jpg

Untitled-4_79.jpg

Untitled-5_62.jpg

Untitled-6_67.jpg

Untitled-8_59.jpg

KHIB

Untitled-9_55.jpg

Untitled-12_39.jpg

Untitled-13_29.jpg

Untitled-14_30.jpg

Untitled-15_28.jpg

Looking north from Eveleth

Untitled-16_21.jpg

Untitled-18_13.jpg

Back to Duluth this is Island Lake, on the north side is a shooting range I like to practice handling my sidearm.

Untitled-20_14.jpg

Approaching L. Superior

Untitled-22_11.jpg

Untitled-25_6.jpg

Home of Cirrus Design!

Untitled-26_5.jpg

Untitled-28_3.jpg

KSUW

Untitled-29_4.jpg

Untitled-30_2.jpg

Untitled-31_1.jpg

• Upvote 6

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Amazing set of shots!  Your ortho's of MN look great.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Well done! Great set of shots... it looks fantastic like it is without tricks (zoom out etc).

Very realistic, great shots. Which ZL did you use for the orthos and with decal on or off? Also, do I see correctly that you had no overlay on for these pictures?

Hans

Beautiful shots Ryan.  I may have to upgrade a harddrive and give it a try.  How's that airplane?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Fantastic shots of northern Minnesota....outstanding work!

HLJAMES

Fantastic Series :smile: 

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

Nice shots. I switched from MSFS to XP11 after 20 years MSFS and loving it. BTW Hibbing is where Bob Dylan grew up, he sings about the iron ore there in 1 or two songs.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

No, not too blue. This looks about as perfectly realistic as I can imagine! Can you please say more about your presets? I'm working up to X-Plane 11 myself.

Very realistic, great shots. Which ZL did you use for the orthos and with decal on or off? Also, do I see correctly that you had no overlay on for these pictures?

ZL16 for the general area, but I did a 3km outline in ZL18 around airports.  I might redo the tiles without that... because it makes it look a little silly with the big squares hehe.  By overlay do you mean autogen?

Beautiful shots Ryan.  I may have to upgrade a harddrive and give it a try.  How's that airplane?

The avionics are very basic, I think when XP11 goes RTM there will be a final G1000.  The real aircraft has a G3000-based system.  But it's a fun little personal jet and has great visibility from the cockpit.  It does about 250 KIAS.

No, not too blue. This looks about as perfectly realistic as I can imagine! Can you please say more about your presets? I'm working up to X-Plane 11 myself.

Certainly.  The presets are from a post at the org see here: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/115476-xp-11-better-sky-released/

I actually don't like the HD Clouds recommended in that pack.  I guess I prefer the default ones, but I think if you're willing to part with the 60+ USD that new addon, Enviro is supposed to have really nice clouds.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Excellent shots Ryan! It's amazing how orthos can completely change the scene. And I learned something. I had no idea that Cirrus was headquartered in Duluth.

Excellent shots Ryan! It's amazing how orthos can completely change the scene. And I learned something. I had no idea that Cirrus was headquartered in Duluth.

Yep they are....  however they did recently construct a new base in Knoxville, TN, I think to have a more centrally located service facility.  The jet production will remain in the Duluth.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Looking at these shots makes me want to try XP! UGH! 

Always in our hearts AVQ1. Andre Roy. 

Air Traffic Controller New York TRACON