Sign in to follow this  
AlanB77L

Clickspots MCP

Hello,

The intro manual refers to 2 additional clickspots on the MCP on the MINS knob and the BARO knob. Unfortunately my tooltips aren't working and flash too quickly for me to see what they say. I've figured out the baro setting knob can also be used to set the transponder mode. What does the MINS knob do? I can hear it clicking but don't know what it's changing.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Alan

So the outer (wider) MINS knob changes between RADIO (DH) and BARO (MDA). You should see the "hand" as dark grey when you're over the outer knob. The inner knob (taller, narrower) changes the actual value that will display on the PFD. The "hand" will be white over the inner knob. I have noticed it can be tricky to adjust MINS due to the click spots being rather small, IMO.  

If you're flying a non-precision approach or non-CAT II or III ILS approach, you should be using the BARO selection and setting it to the MDA that is listed on your approach plate. If you're doing a CAT II or III ILS approach you should use RADIO as it will be much more accurate, but only when over the runway safety area/flat grass clearing prior to the runway. Set this to what is listed for "DH" on the approach plate. Outside of that and the radio altimeter can give misleading callouts due to terrain.

Setting those values using right/left-clicks and dragging is explained in the intro manual p66. 

Hi Adam,

All clear, thanks. There's a third clickspot at the top of the inner knob though, what does that do?

As I said, the top of the inner BARO button selects transponder modes. What does the top of the inner MINS button do?

Kind regards,

Alan

Ah, yeah, that one. It's called "Reset." It's the black button on the top of the inner knob. As far as I know, it does almost nothing on the 744. When below minimums, your minimum (DH or MDA) selection will flash in amber on the PFD. I think that button clears the flashing but nothing else.

On the T7 and NG, the reset button will clear the MDA or DH value completely. It's an "on/off" switch for the value to display on the PFD. The 747 doesn't work like that.

Hi,

The top of the Baro button sets the Baro ref to STD. The top of the Mins button is RST and reset the minimums yellow warning on the PFD. That's the only the clickspots I know on the top of the inner buttons of baro and mins.

Otherwise, you have a clickspot above the mins and baro buttons, on the edge of the glareshield to open a 2D panel with the captain's and FO's EFIS and the DSP.

Can you give the page where the intro manual mentions the 2 additional clickspots?

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

OK I found it, it activates the VOR/ADF receiver selector on the audio panel. Wondering why this specific clickspot activates that though, seems a bit random?

Kind regards,

Alan