Sign in to follow this  
wckorb

It's Lonely at FL850

Reminds me of another oldie but goodie. "Los Angeles Center, Aspen 20, ground speed check." :D

http://b.johnwurth.com/aspen-20/

• Upvote 1

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Gem of a post from the Concorde thread on pprune:

"Ancient tale.

There's this SR-71 Blackbird stooging around Cuba on a top-secret mission, at FL500+ and Mach 2+.... when they get a call requesting them to change heading "because of traffic at your altitude".
Traffic at THEIR altitude ??
Anyway, they comply, and shortly, yes, there's an Air France Concorde out of Caracas (Air France flew there in the early days) slowly sailing across their flight path.

Just imagine... two guys in bonedomes and full pressure suits, in a cramped cockpit, watching something like a hundred people in shirt sleeves or summer dresses, sipping their champagne and maybe just starting on their smoked salmon hors d'oeuvres, flying at their altitude and nearly their speed...."

• Upvote 1

Will,

Nice shots but I wonder what your speed was. Not above Mach 0.99 I trust otherwise the residents below will be highly unamused. :wink:

As a Concorde pilot I always comply with the rules and never break the sound barrier over populated areas. One route I often fly is Seattle down to LA. But 20nm+ off the coast to comply with the FAA. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Will,

Nice shots but I wonder what your speed was. Not above Mach 0.99 I trust otherwise the residents below will be highly unamused. :wink:

As a Concorde pilot I always comply with the rules and never break the sound barrier over populated areas. One route I often fly is Seattle down to LA. But 20nm+ off the coast to comply with the FAA. :smile:

Well, I was probably touching mach 3 or so at this point. (oops) I know the sled flies a fair bit higher than the Concorde, but I am curious about how it would sound and feel on the ground when something that fast flies over. I'll just tell myself that modern car and house windows are strong enough that I won't be given a phone number to call when I land. :P

It's also a shame that planes like the Concorde could never cruise properly over land, otherwise we might not have had to retire all of them..

Will,

Mach 3??? :shok:  Sorry sir, your licence is revoked. :lol:

If you're curious about how loud that sonic boom was have a listen to this on Youtube.

Loud eh? hate to think how loud yours was.

Yes, such a shame she was retired from service but negating that sonic boom was just too difficult.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Sounds like a hundred shotguns going off!

In my defense, according to the sonic booms article on Wikipedia the Blackbird at full speed has a shockwave with less than half the energy of the Concorde(assuming it's up at FL800), and apparently the shock wave gets smaller as a plane goes faster. So hopefully no broken windows and ruptured eardrums :wink:

• Upvote 1