Sign in to follow this  
aurel42

Should/does GA Autopilot coordinate turns?

Do the test again and bring up the AS16 debugger screen to see what the wind/turbulence is when it happens.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Hey Mick,

You have disabled the in sim controls when using FSUIPC?

Mick

Correct, I don't have any duplicate assignments (controllers are turned off completely, and I also removed all the axis and button assignments to be sure, I only left the keyboard assignments untouched).

Also I did intentionally not touch any controls, neither the yoke nor the rudder, while recording the video. If I had shown "manual" turns, it would have been hard to tell whether I just was too clumsy on the rudder.

Solved by disabling AS16's "Enhanced turbulence"

That makes sense.  The turbulence was kicking your airplane around.  As you can imagine, in the RW, the ball on the light airplanes moves back and forth in bumpy air. 

EDIT:  ASN and AS16 wind changes can be sudden even in light winds.  I loaded a light, variable wind into it to see how it handled those kinds of winds near the airport.  My speed needle was jumping up and down by 3 to 5 knots as if it was gusty.  Not ideal.  You'd expect that with strong gusty winds, not a normal light wind day.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Perhaps I didn't make clear enough that this happens on every turn, under any wind condition, and in all my GA aircraft. There is nothing random to it. And at no point does it feel anything like a real turbulence (which obviously should have some random element). So I never even considered AS16 as the cause of the problem.

For me, this is clearly unexpected behaviour, aka a bug.

But, to be fair, the explanation for the feature in AS16 states that it can affect aircraft handling.

And there's always the possibility that a combination of factors lead to this broken behaviour, and I just got rid of it by changing one of the factors, so this feature might work as expected under other circumstances.