Sign in to follow this  
regis9

Pause at Top of Descent Distance Offset

An idea, it would be very helpful if there was an option to specify a distance from the TOD point for the sim to pause, rather than only having the option of pausing at the TOD.

Two reasons

- I find from time to time I am challenging to get down in time using the calculated TOD point, particularly if the TOD point is calculated based on a set of runways that would require a downwind leg, then while on-route the winds shift and you end up being cleared for a straight in approach.

- When using things like FS2Crew, there are often items like the approach briefing that need to be done ~70nm before the TOD point.  Even beyond FS2Crew, it would be nice to have some time to re-establish contact with ATC, set up for the approach etc before reaching the TOD point.

Thanks,

Dave Reage

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Dave,

Most of this can be done prior to un-pausing the sim. Additionally, when planning a flight and entering STARs early on, it's best to choose the "worst case scenario" for the FMC to plan for. This will be any STAR (or version of a STAR) that will cause an earlier descent: earlier crossing restrictions, lower crossing restrictions, and so on. It's always easier to tell a plane to shallow a descent than it is to tell it to steepen one.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

It would be a need feature anyway to have the option to pause the sim prior to ToD. For instance flying a long haul across the Pacific during the night and then pick up the aircraft a good distance before the ToD would be useful. In fact I do see value in having the option of pausing the sim up to say 999 nm before ToD as you can plan your weekend sim flying with some more flexibility.

Søren Geertsen

Søren Geertsen

Thanks Kyle, I do usually plan for the worst case STAR, but that isn't always enough. For example I just flew KDEN-EGLL in the Queen last night into this morning, chose 9L as my arrival runway, descended in VNAV along the appropriate OCK STAR, extended my speedbrakes once below FL250, and still had to do a 360 to get low and slow enough for the approach.

Not the end of the world, but it would be a nice feature if possible in the future.

Dave Reage

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I agree it would be handy.  Different kinds of simmers have varying needs, which often vary from strict reality, and having the ability to customize this would be great, just as you have made available many other realism options on the plane (A/P engagement, A/T disconnect during in HOLD mode .etc) 

Andrew Jones

Agree that this would be a useful feature for all the reasons others have said.

James Hallock

For example I just flew KDEN-EGLL in the Queen last night into this morning, chose 9L as my arrival runway, descended in VNAV along the appropriate OCK STAR, extended my speedbrakes once below FL250, and still had to do a 360 to get low and slow enough for the approach.

This was your error..., I bet you didn't enter a constraint at either KENET or BEDEK.  The chart says EXPECT FL140.  Expected constraints are not included in the navdata.  You could have set this up 1000 nm out.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks good to know, I'll pay closer attention to the STAR next time and look for expected constraints.

Having said that though, given how poorly default ATC handles stars (or how it doesn't at all really), I normally descend without them and my original issue remains.

Dave Reage

Dave

given how poorly default ATC handles stars

My goodness, the default ATC is horrible in every way.  Don't use it at all.  If you want to play with a better ATC then give a few commercially available ones a try.  I forget that some folks actually try using that very poorly done simulation of ATC.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have the most popular ones, PF3, Radar Contact, ProATC-X, but I always come back to default because it has most of the callsigns (and I can add them if it doesn't have one), requires little set up (I'm looking at you PF3), and within reason I can make it do what I want.  No perfect options in Flight Sim ATC unfortunately.  I fly mostly in North America save for long haul across the ponds, so the lack of accents doesn't really bother me.

Dave Reage

Dave

I would second this, it would be a very useful feature to have and I would have thought fairly straight forward to implement given the trigger is an FMC value? Obviously it's not essential, but all the same would be nice.

Cheers

Craig Read

Craig Read, EGLL

Am I missing something here? Our Pause at T/D feature already does pause early, not directly on top of the T/D point. You still have time to configure things after resuming.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

RadarContact does better than native sim ATC and it has an option to pause the sim xxx nm from your destination (xxx is user-defined in the general RC options).

200 nm works for every plane at every FL, except the Concorde or the SR-71, maybe.   :P

Am I missing something here? Our Pause at T/D feature already does pause early, not directly on top of the T/D point. You still have time to configure things after resuming.

It does yes but it's quite close to top of descent still, so if you want to use a different STAR or change runways you don't really have the time to make those changes. If we could adjust it so it was 150 miles to go it takes that stress away. It's not a 'big deal' but an idea for consideration, and I imagine fairly easy to do.

Cheers

Craig Read, EGLL

so if you want to use a different STAR or change runways

You need to be doing this during a pre descent flow.  On long trips, I look at destination wx about 1000 nm inbound and set up most likely arrival.  On any trip I get wx 100 nm before TOD and preset baro, select approach, autobrake and double check LEGS pages against charts.  This is when I catch the EXPECT altitudes.  The pause 10 nm before TOD is only there to stop the plane from flying past the airport when you are napping, it's not a feature intended to replace cockpit tasks.

Dan Downs KCRP