Sign in to follow this  
wiler

Long Haul Flights

How many of you do long hauls here? After 20 + years in the FS community Ive never completed a long haul flight until today, mainly due to FSX/P3D limitations, ooms and CTDs (not bashing) on my systems. I just did DTW-AMS in 7h30m in the JAR A330 and XP11b9. OMG  No issues, solid 30fps the entire flight on high settings and xenviro is just killer , the sunset over the welsh coast was amazing and the foggy landing at ams was awesome. I know I made a wise choice moving over to XP! sorry but Im just very excited that this is actually feasible! 

• Upvote 6

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

How many of you do long hauls here? After 20 + years in the FS community Ive never completed a long haul flight until today, mainly due to FSX/P3D limitations, ooms and CTDs (not bashing) on my systems. I just did DTW-AMS in 7h30m in the JAR A330 and XP11b9. OMG  No issues, solid 30fps the entire flight on high settings and xenviro is just killer , the sunset over the welsh coast was amazing and the foggy landing at ams was awesome. I know I made a wise choice moving over to XP! sorry but Im just very excited that this is actually feasible! 

How about giving us your test environment, such as your rig, what add-ons you were using at the time, was it a non-stop flight or were there saves involved, but nost importantly, an un-biased report on how everything performed from start to finish. :)

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

How about giving us your test environment, such as your rig, what add-ons you were using at the time, was it a non-stop flight or were there saves involved, but nost importantly, an un-biased report on how everything performed from start to finish. :)

6600K OC to 4.6ghz, 16gb , 3000 RAM and 980ti. I started it last night paused half way across atlantic and finished this AM. xenviro , global mesh v3 and JAR A330. I wish there was an easy way to post screens here, I took a lot of pics!  before this I always went into these longer flights expecting a crash to desktop/OOM. Not anymore, Ram usuage never went above 70%. 

I started it last night paused half way across atlantic and finished this AM.

Well that's great that you could perform such a long flight, but you paused (with a save or an actual pause in-sim as it sat overnight?).  I was really hoping for an actual non-stop for that long, just to prove that XP11 was going to come out on top for long hauls.  I'm not faulting you for your method, I probably would have done the same considering past experiences with FSX and P3D wanting to crash.  A good test would be to start a long-haul in the morning, then leave it until just prior to TOD and see if she'll take you home without any issues. :)

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

just paused and left computer on so to me it could have handled the 7h 30 minutes no issues w no pause. It was 330 am here so I had to go to sleep! but for me it did the job and very well indeed. 

Well that's great that you could perform such a long flight, but you paused (with a save or an actual pause in-sim as it sat overnight?).  I was really hoping for an actual non-stop for that long, just to prove that XP11 was going to come out on top for long hauls.  I'm not faulting you for your method, I probably would have done the same considering past experiences with FSX and P3D wanting to crash.  A good test would be to start a long-haul in the morning, then leave it until just prior to TOD and see if she'll take you home without any issues

just paused and left computer on so to me it could have handled the 7h 30 minutes no issues w no pause. It was 330 am here so I had to go to sleep! but for me it did the job and very well indeed. 

Interesting.  So while paused (for however long you were gone), it maintained its current state and resumed without fault...interesting indeed.

yes sir, like nothing happened. Trust me I was skeptical, only thing that changed was xenvrio updated winds aloft ! Im on cloud 9, couldnt ever do this in p3d without some kind of crash or mishap. 

Interesting.  So while paused (for however long you were gone), it maintained its current state and resumed without fault...interesting indeed.

yes sir, like nothing happened. Trust me I was skeptical, only thing that changed was xenvrio updated winds aloft ! Im on cloud 9, couldnt ever do this in p3d without some kind of crash or mishap. 

It probably also helped that a decent portion of your flight was over water, so the texture load wasn't too great.  Good job though!  :Applause:

I would say less than half was over water. detroit to new england was about 3 hours and I was over ireland, england , holland for 1.5 hours. so 4.5 hours of 7.5 over land.  Still pretty cool. 

It probably also helped that a decent portion of your flight was over water, so the texture load wasn't too great.  Good job though!  :Applause:

I have paused flight for 2 hours, come back and carried on with no problems.

Just as when I leave it, normally just before descent so I can have a break for a meal and get refreshed for the tricky time ahead.  :Tounge: 

Thats after already flying for 4 hours or more.

Trevor Golding

lol i paused for over 8 hours! no issues, love XP. 

I have paused flight for 2 hours, come back and carried on with no problems.

Just as when I leave it, normally just before descent so I can have a break for a meal and get refreshed for the tricky time ahead.  :Tounge:

Thats after already flying for 4 hours or more.

I'm not trying to make an issue from this, but just understand the way X-Plane works, compared to say, P3D.  We've all seen how you could perform the same flight with P3D, using time compression (whether done within the aircraft ala PMDG or with the sim function), and it has had varying results, but now I see two folks being able to accomplish the same thing, without the needless time compression, and yet also maintain rock solid stability.  This truly is enlightening, so thanks to both of you for your reports.

time compression always messed me up in fsx/p3d. I did the real thing, and btw, it took the same amount of time the real route takes. Fuel burn was a little off, not by much. I cant vouch for any other addons right now, but the JArA330 beta for xp11 is rock solid. 

I'm not trying to make an issue from this, but just understand the way X-Plane works, compared to say, P3D.  We've all seen how you could perform the same flight with P3D, using time compression (whether done within the aircraft ala PMDG or with the sim function), and it has had varying results, but now I see two folks being able to accomplish the same thing, without the needless time compression, and yet also maintain rock solid stability.  This truly is enlightening, so thanks to both of you for your reports.

No problem here. X Plane is very capable of performing stable long haul flights across the pond. I performed KSFO-EGKK and EGKK-KBOS this weekend (without pausing or anything) in the FF 767. The only problem still is that xenviro 1.06 cannot implement upper winds as PFPX can, so your whole calculation gets messed up (arrived EGKK one hour late), anyhow KBOS was a bless with a time and fuel deviation of less than two or three percent.