Sign in to follow this  
wiler

Long Haul Flights

Yea the upper winds wernt as strong as they should be, but honestly, the fact that I didnt get a crash is a huge milestone for me. 

No problem here. X Plane is very capable of performing stable long haul flights across the pond. I performed KSFO-EGKK and EGKK-KBOS this weekend (without pausing or anything) in the FF 767. The only problem still is that xenviro 1.06 cannot implement upper winds as PFPX can, so your whole calculation gets messed up (arrived EGKK one hour late), anyhow KBOS was a bless with a time and fuel deviation of less than two or three percent.

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

I plan on running the A350 overnight from Hong Kong to Heathrow. 13hr 20 mins. We will see how it does and if the actual trip time is similar to real life (if it makes it that far). The longest flight I have with the A350 thus far is about 90 mins.

Let us know !

I plan on running the A350 overnight from Hong Kong to Heathrow. 13hr 20 mins. We will see how it does and if the actual trip time is similar to real life (if it makes it that far). The longest flight I have with the A350 thus far is about 90 mins.

Will do. I will be starting in about 2-3 hours time and run it tonight. I will log/ track the flight on ProjectFly.

KSFO - NZAA - KSFO one of my favs :) Once a month. Can't bother more lately. 

Pawel Grochowski

8LRyGFr.png  

So I can report back that the A350 performed flawlessly for 12 hours and then I had a CTD above Berlin (90 mins from the end)! Unfortunately I loaded the sim back up before I remembered to look at the log, so I am unsure why exactly the sim crashed. It could well be scenery related. I loaded it back up from Berlin and completed the flight. Just a shame there is no autosave like FSUIPC in P3D.

In the 12 hours the A350 was running the trip time and fuel seemed pretty spot on to real life and it followed the flight plan exactly with no issues. There are a couple of bugs on the latest release (v1.43) with the speed when descending, including the mach button resetting the speed to 100kts when you click it to switch from mach to knots. But overall it is a nice aircraft to fly.

Coming into land into EGLL after a long trip...

CX2_zpsplh7hofe.png

bummer, do you have an addon for berlin? 

So I can report back that the A350 performed flawlessly for 12 hours and then I had a CTD above Berlin (90 mins from the end)! Unfortunately I loaded the sim back up before I remembered to look at the log, so I am unsure why exactly the sim crashed. It could well be scenery related. I loaded it back up from Berlin and completed the flight. Just a shame there is no autosave like FSUIPC in P3D.

In the 12 hours the A350 was running the trip time and fuel seemed pretty spot on to real life and it followed the flight plan exactly with no issues. There are a couple of bugs on the latest release (v1.43) with the speed when descending, including the mach button resetting the speed to 100kts when you click it to switch from mach to knots. But overall it is a nice aircraft to fly.

Coming into land into EGLL after a long trip...

CX2_zpsplh7hofe.png

How many of you do long hauls here? After 20 + years in the FS community Ive never completed a long haul flight until today, mainly due to FSX/P3D limitations, ooms and CTDs (not bashing) on my systems. I just did DTW-AMS in 7h30m in the JAR A330 and XP11b9. OMG  No issues, solid 30fps the entire flight on high settings and xenviro is just killer , the sunset over the welsh coast was amazing and the foggy landing at ams was awesome. I know I made a wise choice moving over to XP! sorry but Im just very excited that this is actually feasible! 

I did a 2 hour and 18 minute non-stop from Punta Gorda, Florida, to Toledo Express, Ohio, last night in the stock 737-800.  No OOM's no crashes, etc, etc. xEnviro running the weather show.

thats great but when I say long haul I mean like minimum 4 hours but really international routes with widebody jets. 

I did a 2 hour and 18 minute non-stop from Punta Gorda, Florida, to Toledo Express, Ohio, last night in the stock 737-800.  No OOM's no crashes, etc, etc. xEnviro running the weather show.

As cool as that might be, the airliners in xplane dont fill me with joy a all. They fall short of the Tier 1 airline developer by quite some distance and the weather engine is not up to scratch at all. It may look pretty, but it is not the complete package.  

But I get your enthusiasm regarding a new experience.I had it too at one point with xplane, but unfortunately it fizzled out and i went back next door

As cool as that might be, the airliners in xplane dont fill me with joy a all. They fall short of the Tier 1 airline developer by quite some distance and the weather engine is not up to scratch at all. It may look pretty, but it is not the complete package.  

But I get your enthusiasm regarding a new experience.I had it too at one point with xplane, but unfortunately it fizzled out and i went back next door

With all due respect Erich, what was the point of coming to this forum and making criticisms about a simulator that a) is yet to be completed and B) basically putting down every civil airliner developer for not being "Tier 1", or as I assume would be sub-par, sub-standard, but as compared to what, P3D?  While it is historical correct that XP hasn't garnered the attentions of big-named aircraft developers like PMDG and Aerosoft overall, PMDG has released the DC-6, with possible plans to bring over their 737 and 777, but right now, there are several great developers in the XP community who have put out accurate and visually appealing airliners (and GA aircraft).

XP may not have the numbers, compared to P3D and FSX, but that doesn't mean it will never happen.  I'm sorry but your statements were just plain inappropriate for this discussion.

• Upvote 2

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

It is cool and its the happiest Ive been in 20+ years of simming being on this platform not tweaking or getting CTDs, or ooms, or massive stutters and micro stutters. And I am so greatful for the ixeg 737, ff 757 and JAr A320/330.  So if you disagree, great! To each their own but this thread was about long haul flights in XP and not another xp vs fsx/p3d. 

• Upvote 5

Sad to see that you got a CTD at the eleventh hour. It is why I gave up FSX a decade ago, and why I will not do any long flights in XP either. I am even concerned about 2 hour flights and avoid those as well. All it takes is one 12 hour flight like yours that crashed and I would never do it again.

I am using XP 10.51 and that is fairly stable. But I fly the IXEG 733 for these type of flights (ie about 2 hours), but I do so walking on eggshells. There are a lot of bugs in the 733 that will kill the FMS at any random point, but so far I have found that you can usually keep flying in manual mode. And this is as it should be. An error should not be fatal so well done IXEG. It would be great to get to a point where a particular aircraft is stable enough to fly the longer routes.

If I was in the XP developer team I would give great focus to stopping a CTD. It is the one thing that would stop me from using XP completely, just as it did FSX. I have had dozens of CTD so far, and they can be quite devastating as I am sure we all agree.

And just in case you think this might be impossible, I am a software developer myself and I don't think I have EVER seen or had reported a CTD with my software. All software has bugs, but the idea is to trap the error and then do something about it, even carry on. A scenery bug should never give a CTD, for example.

Anyway, good to get some feedback on other people's experiences.

I7-6700k 32 gig RAM, NVIDIA GTX-980 TI 6G RAM, GTX-460, Saitek X55 throttle, Combat rudder pedals, CH Eclipse yoke,TrackIR 5, 5 monitors (main is 40" 4k), Corsair K95 RGB k/b, Win 7 x64. X-Plane XP 11.1+

Ive never had a CTD in the JAR A330 yet flown it over 100 hrs already. The iexg, although a great plane tends to give me CTDS, not sure if its a conflict w xenviro or not, but Im not doing long hauls in a 737 anyways! 

Sad to see that you got a CTD at the eleventh hour. It is why I gave up FSX a decade ago, and why I will not do any long flights in XP either. I am even concerned about 2 hour flights and avoid those as well. All it takes is one 12 hour flight like yours that crashed and I would never do it again.

I am using XP 10.51 and that is fairly stable. But I fly the IXEG 733 for these type of flights (ie about 2 hours), but I do so walking on eggshells. There are a lot of bugs in the 733 that will kill the FMS at any random point, but so far I have found that you can usually keep flying in manual mode. And this is as it should be. An error should not be fatal so well done IXEG. It would be great to get to a point where a particular aircraft is stable enough to fly the longer routes.

If I was in the XP developer team I would give great focus to stopping a CTD. It is the one thing that would stop me from using XP completely, just as it did FSX. I have had dozens of CTD so far, and they can be quite devastating as I am sure we all agree.

And just in case you think this might be impossible, I am a software developer myself and I don't think I have EVER seen or had reported a CTD with my software. All software has bugs, but the idea is to trap the error and then do something about it, even carry on. A scenery bug should never give a CTD, for example.

Anyway, good to get some feedback on other people's experiences.

Ive never had a CTD in the JAR A330 yet flown it over 100 hrs already. The iexg, although a great plane tends to give me CTDS, not sure if its a conflict w xenviro or not, but Im not doing long hauls in a 737 anyways! 

There appears to be a correlation between study level aircraft and their heavy resource usage with CTDs.  As we don't typically know everything going on behind the scenes, it could be a multitude of things that could cause the CTD.  I would have to side with the idea that the add-ons could be the cause, but that would take a lot of testing with other aircraft, including default ones to determine if it is the sim.  Now, if we are still talking about XP11, then we fall back on the fact that it is still beta, so the question of CTDs starts to become moot right now.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit