Sign in to follow this  
Levkov

Spoiler position indicator bug

So I am coming into Prestwick this evening in the 400 F, and, as someone used to smaller planes, I am too fast in the descent, so I pull the spoiler handle, and looking onto position indicator, I see left side deployed, right side not deployed. I switch to external view, and both sides are deployed. I tried cycling them, tried using mouse instead of keyboard to deploy them, same situation. Screenshot included.

image.php?di=9DOU

Are you sure that all the spoilers are deployed in the external view? Or just the inboard ones?

With the flaps up or the airspeed above a certain value, only some of the spoilers will deploy in flight (with the use of the speedbrake handle) i.e. not the outboard spoilers. Only two spoiler positions are monitored on the 747-400. The left pointer shows the #4 spoiler, the right pointer shows the #12 spoiler. The #12 spoiler is an outboard spoiler, so won't move with the flaps up or at higher airspeeds.

Cheers

John H Watson

• Upvote 1

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Interesting. Didn't know that. Probably something that should be noted in the intro manual, as I didn't see it there, and looking at the FCOM, it didn't exactly do a good job at pointing this out.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

Like John says, only certain spoilers are inflight speedbrakes.  Specifically 1,2, 6, 7,11 and 12 are not used as speedbrakes.  The left indicator is spoiler 4, the right is spoiler 12.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

You should have noticed this during preflight.  Moving the spoiler midway and only one of the two synoptic symbols move.  Move all the way on the ground and both move. This is realistic.  The B748 will look more like the 777 in this regard.

Dan Downs KCRP

Moving the spoiler midway and only one of the two synoptic symbols move.  

However, roll control is a different concept. Speedbrakes are not normally checked during preflight. Speedbrakes operate on a different "schedule". If you move the *speedbrake* lever midway on the ground, all panels should move midway.

Cheers

John H Watson.

• Upvote 1

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

I just checked the FCOM 9.20.11, not a bug, it's a feature. :D I didn't read the part about spoilers and just assumed it wouldn't be done that way :D

I just checked the FCOM 9.20.11, not a bug, it's a feature. :D I didn't read the part about spoilers and just assumed it wouldn't be done that way :D

Oh, crap. I was looking at a different section that was discussing the indication on the EICAS. That's why I hadn't seen it. I was looking at 9.10.13. Oops. This is why I shouldn't be doing this late at night.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.