Sign in to follow this  
windshearDK

Is there a way to increase VC resolution?

Yeah, you have to remember that when you're flying, you're only looking at a tiny bit of the actual deck. A lot of the sim crowd thinks you should be able to see ALL OF THE THINGS, so they set the zoom back to something absurd like 0.3, and then wonder why the graphics look weird (fisheyed and blurry).

Zoom should be somewhere between 0.8 and 1.0 (subject to your preference, but closer to 1.0 is ideal - I'm usually somewhere between 0.8 and 0.9), and unless you're using a monitor from the 90s, make sure you have WideViewAspect set to TRUE in your cfg.

Kyle Rodgers

Running FSX in full screen mode gives way better resolution in comparison with window mode.

Regards,

Wim

Running FSX in full screen mode gives way better resolution in comparison with window mode.

Regards,

Wim

Really?!

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Curious.  I always run my P3D windowed as I have 3 monitors and run other flight related aps (like EFB and/or AVSIM).

spacer.png

Sorry my mistake. My window mode is set to 1920X1080 resolution and my full screen is set to 3840X2160 resolution in FSX. Monitor = 28 inch 4K.

Kind regards,

Wim

.6 and .7 I find best for giving me a more realistic fish eye look, .8 and higher is zoomed far in. It helps me that I have a 42" lcd hdtv as my monitor! Biggest problem I find with a high zoom like .8 is your viewpoint travels back into the seatrest of most airplanes. I am on a tighter budget and had to buy the FSX version, so I am not one of the lucky P3D users that has a stationary virtual cockpit viewpoint - David Lee

Zoom should be somewhere between 0.8 and 1.0 (subject to your preference, but closer to 1.0 is ideal -

I always use 1.0. Judging from YouTube videos, though, it seems that 1.0 users are in a minority, and I find it a real turnoff when watching FSX videos when the view is like looking though a camera with a wide-angle lens on. 

I may be wrong but I get the impression that FS pilots like to see all the windscreen and all the panel in the one view, but I think it's more like your car - you can look at the road, or look at the dashboard instruments, but you can't look at both together. I set my views by trying to match my eye position with the pilots eye position in F11 and zoom at x1. It works pretty well, I think.  I'm assuming that the F11 views are accurate in that respect, of course.

I know what you mean, the pmdg 777 on my system has a problem where at a realistic zoom, the writing and instruments etc. on the first officers side become un readable so I have to zoom in really far over to the other side to be able to see. I've just got used to it. A great thing with the Airbus X extended is that someone created 4096 cockpit textures as a free addon, which was absolutely amazing and everything was sharp and no blurriness. Maybe this will happen for the PMDG aircraft, who knows. 

I can't argue though if it wasn't for PMDG i'd be still flying around with the orbit airlines!

Will

.6 and .7 I find best for giving me a more realistic fish eye look, .8 and higher is zoomed far in. It helps me that I have a 42" lcd hdtv as my monitor! Biggest problem I find with a high zoom like .8 is your viewpoint travels back into the seatrest of most airplanes. I am on a tighter budget and had to buy the FSX version, so I am not one of the lucky P3D users that has a stationary virtual cockpit viewpoint - David Lee

There is nothing realistic about the fisheye look. Fine if that's your preference but it's nothing like the view in the real aircraft.

I find setting the view back a few clicks also improves the 747 view. It feels too far forward at the default position, almost on top of the glareshield.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Yeah, you have to remember that when you're flying, you're only looking at a tiny bit of the actual deck. A lot of the sim crowd thinks you should be able to see ALL OF THE THINGS, so they set the zoom back to something absurd like 0.3, and then wonder why the graphics look weird (fisheyed and blurry).

Zoom should be somewhere between 0.8 and 1.0 (subject to your preference, but closer to 1.0 is ideal - I'm usually somewhere between 0.8 and 0.9), and unless you're using a monitor from the 90s, make sure you have WideViewAspect set to TRUE in your cfg.

I have lg ips led 22 inch monitor with 1920×1080 resolution and when using wideview option in fsx cfg file the view is not comftortable. When turn off the view is ok. Could you please advice the correct option for my monitor. Thanks

There is nothing realistic about the fisheye look. Fine if that's your preference but it's nothing like the view in the real aircraft.

I find setting the view back a few clicks also improves the 747 view. It feels too far forward at the default position, almost on top of the glareshield.

Fish-eye gives you a more realistic sense of depth perception and field of view. - David Lee

Fish-eye gives you a more realistic sense of depth perception and field of view. - David Lee

It's your preference, which I respect, but you can't claim it's more realistic. Fisheye distorts the perspective and far from adding depth perception, if anything it makes you more remote from the panel. You already get good depth perception at 1.0 zoom. The only way to adequately improve FOV is by using additional monitors. Widening the zoom does so at the cost of distortion.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Tamer,

What do you mean by "the view is not comfortable"?

WideViewAspect changes the aspect ratio of what the sim projects. The original sim was built for a 4:3 monitor (think 1990s old heavy monitor). Most flat panel, modern monitors are 16:9, which is where you'd want WideViewAspect=TRUE. Whereas you'd need a very low zoom to fit a reasonable amount of view with =FALSE, you can use a more realistic zoom with =TRUE (on a 16:9 monitor).

I'm betting that you've been using =FALSE, and using a very low zoom level (0.3-0.5)? And now that you tried =TRUE it simply looks different (not horribly distorted) and therefore uncomfortable?

----------

David,

I definitely do not agree there. Fisheye is inherently going to give you massive amounts of distortion. Only a simmer would claim that a fisheye view is more realistic. Does it include more peripheral vision like an "in person" view would? Sure. Is it correct? No. Your eyes have the capability to see over 180 degrees, but it's properly processed and corrected in your mind due to the physiological aspects of what's going on (kinda like how your blind spots are compensated for). Since your monitor is a flat picture, there is no correction, and the farther you get from center, the more distortion you pick up. Your depth is also horribly distorted at low zoom levels. It's artificially shortened, so no - it's the exact opposite of what you state in that regard.

As Kevin mentioned - if this is your preference, then that is your preference. At the same time, the facts do not match the statements used as justification. "More realistic" is your opinion. Fish eye providing a realistic perception of depth is scientifically false. There's a reason why there are so many different takes on map projections: you can't take a sphere and make it flat without distortion. In this case, you're artificially creating a hemispherical surface in order to increase field of view, and having to project that onto a flat surface. In the process, you compromise the fidelity of just about all other graphical elements.

Kyle Rodgers

It's your preference, which I respect, but you can't claim it's more realistic. Fisheye distorts the perspective and far from adding depth perception, if anything it makes you more remote from the panel. You already get good depth perception at 1.0 zoom. The only way to adequately improve FOV is by using additional monitors. Widening the zoom does so at the cost of distortion.

A fish eye look with zoom .60 gives you a realistic view where you can sit in the pilots seat, look up and see the horizon out the window while still seeing enough of the main panel. I do not mean a very small zoom number like .3 or .4 and a noticable fish eye effect just enough to give you more perspective than the narrow viewpoint of a zoom .9 or 1.0 - David Lee

Tamer,

What do you mean by "the view is not comfortable"?

WideViewAspect changes the aspect ratio of what the sim projects. The original sim was built for a 4:3 monitor (think 1990s old heavy monitor). Most flat panel, modern monitors are 16:9, which is where you'd want WideViewAspect=TRUE. Whereas you'd need a very low zoom to fit a reasonable amount of view with =FALSE, you can use a more realistic zoom with =TRUE (on a 16:9 monitor).

I'm betting that you've been using =FALSE, and using a very low zoom level (0.3-0.5)? And now that you tried =TRUE it simply looks different (not horribly distorted) and therefore uncomfortable?

----------

David,

I definitely do not agree there. Fisheye is inherently going to give you massive amounts of distortion. Only a simmer would claim that a fisheye view is more realistic. Does it include more peripheral vision like an "in person" view would? Sure. Is it correct? No. Your eyes have the capability to see over 180 degrees, but it's properly processed and corrected in your mind due to the physiological aspects of what's going on (kinda like how your blind spots are compensated for). Since your monitor is a flat picture, there is no correction, and the farther you get from center, the more distortion you pick up. Your depth is also horribly distorted at low zoom levels. It's artificially shortened, so no - it's the exact opposite of what you state in that regard.

As Kevin mentioned - if this is your preference, then that is your preference. At the same time, the facts do not match the statements used as justification. "More realistic" is your opinion. Fish eye providing a realistic perception of depth is scientifically false. There's a reason why there are so many different takes on map projections: you can't take a sphere and make it flat without distortion. In this case, you're artificially creating a hemispherical surface in order to increase field of view, and having to project that onto a flat surface. In the process, you compromise the fidelity of just about all other graphical elements.

Dear kyle, thank you for fast and detailed reply. I will use this option with view between 0.8 and 1 and report back the result. Thank you. I have been not using it with .5 zoom with vc and 0.3 zoom with planes having 2d cockpits