Sign in to follow this  
omnimae

Starting with 3.4 GB in VAS

4 hours ago, Alaaar said:

Many thanks, Bill .......A lot to try to try to get a better performance out of FSX and my old system, I don't think ORBX FTX global or LC or victor, REX TD HD, REX WD airports, AS2016 are helping as well as KATL scenery from Imagine simulation.......I see your point, I will try soon the SimStarterNG perhaps it will help.

I actually also have most of those addons apart from Orbx Vector (I use UTX vector data), Alaa, and like you my system is fairly old so it can be an ongoing struggle to avoid the dreaded OOM warning! I think SimStarterNG does help to an extent however providing you take care to initially set up your scenery and simulator configuration sets appropriately. This can take a little time to do after it is first installed (not helped by the manual which could be a little more informative) but once it has been set up then the different sets are very easy and quick to use as you wish depending on what/where you plan to fly. Although with SimStarterNG, you still have to be careful and I still hit the 4GB VAS limit occasionally, OOM warnings are certainly much less frequent than they were in the past and I can continue to enjoy FSX until such time as my rig packs in and I am forced to upgrade to a new one and possibly a new platform like P3Dv4.

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Upvote 1

Hello, Bill,

I know what you mean, after installing ORBX LC and Vectors, although they look amazing on screen but flying over the continental USA or Europe has become like a struggle to me I have to lower settings in FSX to about 75% to 50% sometimes, also reducing texture resolution at REXTD & VC if applicable and even the number of clouds layer that is generated by AS2016. Reducing settings and now your advice for scenery management before each flight which I am going to follow .......Simply takes the fun away......I am very much considering to move to P3D but with a new computer then I have to go through the painful process of researching which add-ons are compatible with it and which I have to purchase again, a budget & time-consuming process and I am getting too old for this  🙂 🙂 🙂

• Upvote 1

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Hi Alaa,

I recently reduced my AS2016 cloud layers from 5 to 4 and am considering lowering the resolution of my Rex (E+OD) cloud textures which are still set at HD level. I was considering adding Rex Soft Clouds as apparently they look very good and the addon is relatively cheap but a lot of what I read about it seemed to suggest Soft Clouds have a significant VAS impact. Is this your experience?

I agree that reducing lots of settings can also reduce the level of fun and immersion  - it’s always a little strange landing in a beautifully modelled but almost empty Heathrow in the PMDG 777 but the alternative to turning AI traffic down low is often not being able to make it much beyond the outer marker on approach! Still, for the moment, to avoid the hassle and expense of moving to P3Dv4, I am happy to continue with a smooth and generally well functioning FSX. However with  a view to a future move, any payware I now purchase for FSX has got to include a P3D version in the price or at  least have a P3D version available at a discount for existing FSX users. That rules out any new PMDG or A2A products but there are quite a few developers out there are including Orbx and Carenado who include both versions in the purchase price. But oh the hassle of reinstallation.....😕

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Upvote 1

I agree with all your views Bill, my AS2016 has 5 layers now I might try 4 later on as well 😊, I reduced the clouds textures to a minimum for REXTD, also I have REX SF which is a development for soft clouds I guess. I wish that Avsim will come up with a forum for people like us where I can list my add-ons and someone will make my life much easier by telling me which of the 10s of products I have are compatible and which of them I have to buy again ......Also, I wish that big developer such as PMDG to consider giving special prices for their loyal customers who for example have all their FSX models range of products or being a customer for years ..... Only daydreaming here of course 😁

• Upvote 1

Alaa A. Riad

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

I've heard rumors that at some point PMDG will offer an upgrade path, but so far they're only rumors with no hard evidence to support them. It'd be nice now that p3d4 is out and gives long-time FSX users an actual reason to upgrade to get away from the OOM problems.

• Upvote 1

I wish

Alaa A. Riad