Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Thinking of trying some long haul flights...aircraft of choice?

So as the title says, I'm thinking of trying some long haul flights.  I mostly fly the 737NGX around the US but I'm in the mood to try something new and different.  I'm between the 777 and the newly released 747 from PMDG but not sure which one to go with...  What's everyone think?  

Side note: When you folks perform longer flights, do you use the sim multiplier - or go for real time?

-Chris

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

Both PMDG planes have the "auto-cruise" feature - by the push of a button the sim goes into a predefined (user-defined) time-acceleration. I prefer this to just sitting there for a few more hours in cruise ...   ;-)

The B744 is the latest and greatest in pushing the limits of your sim - go for it unless you know for sure the B772 is exactly the type of aircraft that you want.

Both PMDG planes have the "auto-cruise" feature - by the push of a button the sim goes into a predefined (user-defined) time-acceleration. I prefer this to just sitting there for a few more hours in cruise ...   ;-)

The B744 is the latest and greatest in pushing the limits of your sim - go for it unless you know for sure the B772 is exactly the type of aircraft that you want.

All my goflight stuff is for twin engine configuration so I was thinking triple 7 for that purpose.  But the 747 is a classic and the latest greatest.  I just cant decide lol.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

What you really need is the BlackBox A330. You won't find a more complete aircraft, and with a top-notch VC. You also get spectacular customer service too!

If you want something different, try the FSLabs Concorde. Go on a long haul from EGLL to KJFK at Mach 2 in 3.5 hours. It's a fun, complex, classic add-on, complete with flight engineer (or if you want a good challenge, act as pilot and flight engineer).

I also have the PMDG 777, which is a great modern long hauler. My problem is I don't have the time in my life to fly 8 hours, but the above-mentioned auto-cruise is a handy feature, compressing an 8 hour flight to 4 hours. Or you can just depart at night, go to bed, and then land in the morning while you enjoy your coffee. Of course, then you miss all those wonderful ocean views.

Wow, more and more options I didn't even consider.  I dont have time for 8 hour flights either which is why I've always stuck to short 1 to 2 hour hops with the NGX with the ability to go an extra few hours if time permits.  I usually watch a movie and then return to land lol.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

If you're having trouble deciding between them, you could try the PMDG 777 and the iFly 744. The iFly is WAAAY cheaper and it's surprisingly good for the money. The PMDG 777 is pretty much perfect in every way.

• Upvote 2

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

What you really need is the BlackBox A330. You won't find a more complete aircraft, and with a top-notch VC. You also get spectacular customer service too!

Not sure what you have been smoking lol but yea. For me that aircraft is safely stored in the hangar until pending upgrade arrive

I'd second Todd's recommendation for Concorde. Longest flight is 4 hours - 4000 statute miles. That will get you from Heathrow to Barbados. Alternatively how about Honolulu to Auckland. Also 4 hrs.

Or if time is a factor JFK down to Orlando in 1hr 30m.

Totally different experience to Boeings. The speed is incredible as is the climb rate when reheats are engaged. Up to 10,000fpm for a short while. No other aircraft except military jets can give you that performance.

Oh, and it's around $30 cheaper than some other aircraft I could mention.

I fly in real time only. Being retired helps but with no flight longer than 4 hours that isn't a problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Not sure what you have been smoking lol but yea.

:) If you check my posting history, you'll find sarcasm is at the top of my repertoire (which isn't really a good thing on the internet). And I have a feeling my widebody package purchase belongs in the scrapyard and not just the hangar. My outlook on that whole project is grim to say the least.

You dont have to do long haul with a 777 or 747, I use both as Freight versions and do small hopes like LSGG-LFPG 50% ful LGPD - EHAM 75% full  then EHAM to EGNX. 95%full

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

You dont have to do long haul with a 777 or 747,

True, but there is something quite satisfying about completing a longhaul though. I haven't done one in ages. This weekend will see some long hours (with the help of autocruise).

They got 1000s of happy customers. 1000s

14ppkc-6.png

f you want something different, try the FSLabs Concorde.

the only issue  with  that is its the hardest  aircraft  to  master 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

tooting, on 15 Feb 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

They got 1000s of happy customers. 1000s

The befitting name of 'blackbox simulations' cannot be emphasised enough.