Sign in to follow this  
pegruder

Thinking of trying some long haul flights...aircraft of choice?

The Concorde is great but be aware that the VC graphics are poor by today's standards. If they upgraded that, it would be a killer in P3D.

David Porrett

the only issue  with  that is its the hardest  aircraft  to  master 

I thought Aussies like a challenge! :wink:  I'm 65 and I've mastered it. It's very satisfying when you are in control of the aircraft instead of it being in control of you. :Big Grin:

The Concorde is great but be aware that the VC graphics are poor by today's standards. If they upgraded that, it would be a killer in P3D.

David,

I grant you that the overhead panels are a little lacking in quality but the 2D equivalents are just fine. Nothing wrong with the Virtual Cockpit as this screenshot shows. This is where you spend 95% of your time. Another important factor is the improvements on VAS usage. I'm now able to fly Aerosoft Heathrow to FSDreamTeam's JFK Mk 2 with no VAS issues.

This screenshot taken on a Sony 32" LCD TV at 1920x1080.

Conc_3D.png

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'd echo the recommendations of the PMDG 777 or 747. If I was going to buy only one, I'd choose the 747. It's the newest release, meaning it benefits from lessons learned on the 777 and has additional features etc, and it comes with a lot of variants in the base package.

I don't say that to take away thing away from the 777, it's an excellent aircraft and really trying to choose one over the other is splitting hairs in terms of quality and experience.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Thanks for the input everyone!

I'd echo the recommendations of the PMDG 777 or 747. If I was going to buy only one, I'd choose the 747. It's the newest release, meaning it benefits from lessons learned on the 777 and has additional features etc, and it comes with a lot of variants in the base package.

I don't say that to take away thing away from the 777, it's an excellent aircraft and really trying to choose one over the other is splitting hairs in terms of quality and experience.

This is what I was thinking.  Plus Im also stuck with the, "Do I wait for the next P3D version to see what direction to go?"  I'd rather buy once then spend on an upgrade if things require re-working if the mystical 64bit support comes out.  

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

How far do you want to go?  The 777-200LR is literally capable of flying halfway around the world.  I have flown it around the world a few times with just one stop....ie Christchurch NZ  (NZCH) -> Malaga Spain (LEMG) going Eastbound, then Malaga back to CHristchurch.  Each leg is ~ 20+ hrs or so lol, so you can literally fly from anywhere to anywhere in the T7.  I am not an 'airline pilot' type, more of a Charter/Cargo ops kind a guy lol, so the T7's flexibility is great.  You can change fuel tank configs or use different load settings if you want to fly High Density for instance.  

The T7 is also highly automated.  Some find this boring, which I can understand if you use the autopilot all the time.  Since there is no first officer tuning radios or taking care of systems, I find the automation handy, as it lets me fly by hand for longer periods.  Another plus is that you have a pair of GE90s at your finger tips, which makes flying by hand so much fun, knowing you have the most powerful jet engines ever made at your finger tips.  The T7 will get in and out of shorter runways as well.  The T7 comes with LR Pax and Freighter versions, with -300LR as an expansion.

The Queen is less automated, but still automated enough that the solo sim pilot can reasonably manage things.  The 747 is a little more challenging to fly in that it is a larger airplane with more engines along with less automated systems...so you get the added challenge that those attributes bring.    Flying the Queen by hand is fun too, but be prepared to have to be 'on the ball' a little more, however in some ways is a little easier to land than the T7,   The queen comes with most of the -400 variants...ie Stock, ER, M, D, BCF, F, ERF, with the -8 expansion on the horizon.

I have both and I like them equally for the differences they bring.  I think variety is the most important thing to have in FS, it would get boring to only fly the same thing over and over again.

When starting a new type of flying, it's a good idea to first start with 'simple', then move to the more complex.  Perhaps since you are just starting out doing long haul, go for the T7 with it's automation, so you can really see what long haul flying is about (ie planning, workloads, things to know...etc), , then if you still like long haul flying, go for the Queen later.  By then you may have a better idea of P3D's direction too.

Cheers

TJ

• Upvote 2

How far do you want to go?  The 777-200LR is literally capable of flying halfway around the world.  I have flown it around the world a few times with just one stop....ie Christchurch NZ  (NZCH) -> Malaga Spain (LEMG) going Eastbound, then Malaga back to CHristchurch.  Each leg is ~ 20+ hrs or so lol, so you can literally fly from anywhere to anywhere in the T7.  I am not an 'airline pilot' type, more of a Charter/Cargo ops kind a guy lol, so the T7's flexibility is great.  You can change fuel tank configs or use different load settings if you want to fly High Density for instance.  

The T7 is also highly automated.  Some find this boring, which I can understand if you use the autopilot all the time.  Since there is no first officer tuning radios or taking care of systems, I find the automation handy, as it lets me fly by hand for longer periods.  Another plus is that you have a pair of GE90s at your finger tips, which makes flying by hand so much fun, knowing you have the most powerful jet engines ever made at your finger tips.  The T7 will get in and out of shorter runways as well.  The T7 comes with LR Pax and Freighter versions, with -300LR as an expansion.

The Queen is less automated, but still automated enough that the solo sim pilot can reasonably manage things.  The 747 is a little more challenging to fly in that it is a larger airplane with more engines along with less automated systems...so you get the added challenge that those attributes bring.    Flying the Queen by hand is fun too, but be prepared to have to be 'on the ball' a little more, however in some ways is a little easier to land than the T7,   The queen comes with most of the -400 variants...ie Stock, ER, M, D, BCF, F, ERF, with the -8 expansion on the horizon.

I have both and I like them equally for the differences they bring.  I think variety is the most important thing to have in FS, it would get boring to only fly the same thing over and over again.

When starting a new type of flying, it's a good idea to first start with 'simple', then move to the more complex.  Perhaps since you are just starting out doing long haul, go for the T7 with it's automation, so you can really see what long haul flying is about (ie planning, workloads, things to know...etc), , then if you still like long haul flying, go for the Queen later.  By then you may have a better idea of P3D's direction too.

Cheers

TJ

Thanks for the informative post.  You may have me leaning towards the T7.  I agree, Flight Simming has gotten a little stale for me which is why I am in the market for something new.  Not that I am an expert in the NGX but I feel confident enough going through the motions.  My biggest problem in that bird is getting her down on time.  I always have the hardest time planning my descent for some reason, but thats another topic lol.

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals