Sign in to follow this  
GreyGoose

G1000/AFCS FLC mode

I installed the G1000 w/AFCS into an Aero Commander 500 Shrike panel and all seemed to work OK until I tried to use the autopilot FLC mode. When I press the FLC button, I get the correct mode annunciation on the PFD and it immediately starts pitching in the direction of the new altitude target but then the VSI quickly drops back to near zero (<50 fpm) even as I adjust the throttle to climb or descend.  The airspeed responds to the throttle changes, but the altitude does not.

All other autopilot modes work OK in the AC500S.   Also, the FLC mode functions normally in the Mindstar C172SP and C182T w/ AFCS.  

I don't have any other autopilot, airspeed indicator, or altimeter installed in the AC500S.

I compared the aircraft.cfg and panel.cfg files and didn't see any obvious clues.   Likewise for the aircraft specific sections of the G1000.ini file.

Any suggestions?

Dave Steinmeyer

FSX-SE, Windows 10, no other add-ons

[EDIT:   My theory proven incorrect by WarpD below].

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

FLC doesn't require anything special to function.

However, if you're using this in a Carenado... the cosmos only knows what kind of embedded code they have in their VC model that can impact things.

There is a speed value that controls what FLC will do... I don't see where you even brought it up.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed - No, it's not the Carenado.  It's the Milton Shupe and team version.   I'm don't usually use the VC (although I think I'll remove it completely as a test).    Do you mean the target "speed value" that shows up in the annunciator box and on the airspeed tape when the FLC button is pressed?   Those display normally when the mode is engaged and can be adjusted with the UP/DOWN buttons.  The pitch just doesn't respond as the actual airspeed changes.

Bill - what was your theory?

Dave

Edit - I removed the VC panel data from panel.cfg - still the same behavior.

His theory is that our FLC requires special code to work for each aircraft... and that's not really true.

I would need to see a screen shot of the PFD with the FLC mode active for the aircraft.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed - I'll post a screen shot but it will take me a day or two as I'm tied up with other things.  Thanks.

I have downloaded and installed the aircraft you are using.  I then added a panel setup that is based on the Baron 58 twin.  I took off, set altitude to 7000 and engaged HDG and FLC... was able to get FLC to climb at 110kts without issue... watched it pitch up and down as I adjusted throttle... and ensured that changing the airspeed also worked.

So... since I had zero issues with this... it's definitely going to be something with your setup.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ed - Thank you for taking the time to test that. Good to know that the problem isn't inherent to the Aero Commander.   Since the Baron works OK, I'll use that panel as my starting point and go from there.  I won't bother posting the PFD screenshot (unless you think it would be helpful).

Dave