Jim Young

Harrison Ford in Near Miss with 737 at John Wayne

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Bad enough that he landed on a taxiway but the fact that he went over a passenger airliner would lead me to believe he'll be riding in the back of the plane for the foreseeable future.

Hate to see such a high profile mistake by a genuine aviation legend. 

Didn't he crash in his plane some time ago? Maybe it's time he realize he's getting to old for this s..t, as a fellow actor said in a movie :-)

I just love the media reports. The article references a previous accident where he crash landed on a golf course after loosing the engine. An eye witness says how he saved numerous lives by rerouting the plane to crash on the golf course rather than on a group of houses. Yea like most people would aim for the houses and not the nice open golf course when trying to crash land. Self preservation helps a lot in saving lives on the ground. Yet the media have to portray him as a hero. Always makes me cringe to read these reports.

• Upvote 1

You notice how he is always alone when flying....just saying :wink:

You notice how he is always alone when flying....just saying :wink:

LOL.

I bet he could get on Pilot Edge for free. 

solo, it was a benign joke c'mon... :smile:

I swear, one day day they'll make a movie about this old chap, he survives more crash landings than Indiana Jones himself... All puns intended.

Hmm.. I wonder who'll play title character. Really, who could Indiana Jones Indiana Jones.

Maybe there was a snake in the cockpit with him.

Scott

• Upvote 1

All of my friends tell their passengers that if they lose an engine or for any reason have to go in, and it's into tree's or on a playground full of kids that they are less important than the kids and are landing in the trees.

"Knowing that you can either fly with me or stay here."

He was doing the Kessel Run, trying to beat 12 Parsecs, a 737 got in the way

Willing to bet his license gets suspended if not revoked. Landing on the taxiway is bad enough but overflying another aircraft to do it? 

The incident investigation should be interesting to say the least.

Vic

There are no age restriction for private pilots, commercial cargo pilots or CFI in US. I have many friends who are retired airliners who recreationaly fly passed 70 year old and beyond. The issue here in not an age. He is not the first not the last who fell victim of "runway incursion" 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38976965

How has he retained his license that age ?

It might be because he made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, that's probably good enough for any FAA examiner. Although his record in the past does also indicate that without Chewy in the right seat he's not quite as capable. Just look at the facts: Chewy wasn't with him in the cockpit of that deHavilland Beaver in Six Days and Seven Nights when he crashed it, and he made a real mess of Air Force One as well, again, Chewy wasn't in the right seat of that either. Having said that, if an FAA examiner tried to take his licence away, everbody knows Han shoots first.

• Upvote 3

... When did the runway change from 2L to 1L? I'm looking at a current chart of SNA and it's marked 2L. Also google maps shows 2L.. The controller clearly says cleared to land RWY1L ??

anyhow, did he mistake the taxiway to the left of the runway for the runway itself?

a genuine aviation legend

really ?

He might be (or was) Han Solo, but I would NOT get in a plane with him if he was at the controls.

At his age, being on the road is risky, let alone being in airspace with passenger aircraft, over huge areas of population.

Yep no Chewbecca around.

Always thought there was an age limit to fly. DGCA (India ) says 65 yrs for professional not sure about the private license, guess i have to check it up now.

Everyone at that age won't have the reflexes or the situation awareness and yeah that is dangerous at busy airports and airspace and US is highly congested is my guess

Everyone at that age won't have the reflexes or the situation awareness....

Absolutley. I don't want come across as having ageism, but I truly believe there are things you should consider not doing once you reach a certain age. Of course everyone of different, but in the case of flying there has to come a point where you say enough is enough.