Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Harrison Ford in Near Miss with 737 at John Wayne

Willing to bet his license gets suspended if not revoked. Landing on the taxiway is bad enough but overflying another aircraft to do it? 

The incident investigation should be interesting to say the least.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

There are no age restriction for private pilots, commercial cargo pilots or CFI in US. I have many friends who are retired airliners who recreationaly fly passed 70 year old and beyond. The issue here in not an age. He is not the first not the last who fell victim of "runway incursion" 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38976965

How has he retained his license that age ?

It might be because he made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs, that's probably good enough for any FAA examiner. Although his record in the past does also indicate that without Chewy in the right seat he's not quite as capable. Just look at the facts: Chewy wasn't with him in the cockpit of that deHavilland Beaver in Six Days and Seven Nights when he crashed it, and he made a real mess of Air Force One as well, again, Chewy wasn't in the right seat of that either. Having said that, if an FAA examiner tried to take his licence away, everbody knows Han shoots first.

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Might have been smoking some of that California alfalfa.

Vic green

... When did the runway change from 2L to 1L? I'm looking at a current chart of SNA and it's marked 2L. Also google maps shows 2L.. The controller clearly says cleared to land RWY1L ??

anyhow, did he mistake the taxiway to the left of the runway for the runway itself?

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

a genuine aviation legend

really ?

He might be (or was) Han Solo, but I would NOT get in a plane with him if he was at the controls.

At his age, being on the road is risky, let alone being in airspace with passenger aircraft, over huge areas of population.

Yep no Chewbecca around.

Always thought there was an age limit to fly. DGCA (India ) says 65 yrs for professional not sure about the private license, guess i have to check it up now.

Everyone at that age won't have the reflexes or the situation awareness and yeah that is dangerous at busy airports and airspace and US is highly congested is my guess

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Everyone at that age won't have the reflexes or the situation awareness....

Absolutley. I don't want come across as having ageism, but I truly believe there are things you should consider not doing once you reach a certain age. Of course everyone of different, but in the case of flying there has to come a point where you say enough is enough.

Approach photo:

SNA_Approcah.png

Apparently, he was intending to land on the smaller, light gray-colored runway 20L, which is over to the left of the much larger and dark-colored runway 20R. Taxiway C is just to the left of 20L and the same color as the runway, although narrower. 

I'm not going to say that this wasn't an error, but you can see how it's the kind of thing that might even trip up a pilot with a less famous name. That 20L is a VFR runway and could use better markings.

• Upvote 2

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Yup!  That's ageism and that's opening a whole can of worms. Each person is different and the only reasonable criteria is physical and mental ability NOT age.  Enough is enough when the pilot no longer has the faculties to be a safe pilot. If that comes at 50 or 90 it really makes no difference.

Please don't paint everyone with the same brush.

Vic

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

ATC recording

Not sure this recording is the correct one.  All other reports indicate he was cleared to land on 20L and that he instead landed on Taxiway C.  In this recording someone is cleared for 1L and the airliner reports he's at Bravo Delta.  None of this fits.

Scott

• Upvote 1

Eyesight so important. Air Force checks for color recognition , really not safe . though in that photo the rwy is not too clear it would be much different in real.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Yep no Chewbecca around.

Always thought there was an age limit to fly. DGCA (India ) says 65 yrs for professional not sure about the private license, guess i have to check it up now.

Everyone at that age won't have the reflexes or the situation awareness and yeah that is dangerous at busy airports and airspace and US is highly congested is my guess

Again not true. I have friend who was forced to retire at 65 (due to FAA regulation for passengers ops). Right after that he was hired by Air Inidia where he flew as captain of 777 for couple years. Now he is back in state  works as instructor for Citiation recurrent training 

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI