Sign in to follow this  
Jim Young

Harrison Ford in Near Miss with 737 at John Wayne

Better/sharper image. Nearby Irvine was my place of residence for over 14 years up until 2010. I could not start to count the number of times I flew to and from KSNA on business. I also frequented the excellent Lyon Air Museum countless times. It is just off of the apron at the right edge of this photo.  

I cannot fathom mistaking the taxiway (indicated by the red arrow).  It does not look like a runway and has zero runway markings. The taxiway also adjoins other paved surface, clearly removing any runway appearance.  It is also significantly closer to the terminal tarmac, terminal, and aircraft at the gates.

Sorry. Know he is a popular celebrity.  This was a bad one.... 

HarrisonFord%20Incident.jpg

• Upvote 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

According to is Wiki - https://en.wikipedia...i/Harrison_Ford, he keeps his aircraft at Santa Monica which is not too far from John Wayne. I would think he is familiar with the airports in the region and this is not his first landing at John Wayne.

He has flown in/out of both of those airfields more than once, he knows (or should know) the difference between the smaller runway and a taxiway. :rolleyes: :Doh:

• Upvote 1

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

He flew again in his Citation.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I was told they pulled his ticket?

By whom? I don't see anything in typical aviation sources.

By whom? I don't see anything in typical aviation sources.

Leaks vs Privacy laws

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

He does not seem to be aware of the situation. Come on a 737 below you and you don't realize that something is wrong. celebrity or not they should ground him. That is clear and present danger

I won the Reserve Grand Champion Ultralight in the "GeezerHawk" at the All American Sport Aviation Fly In at Alliance in 1996 and it was a blast.

As about 10 of ultralighters came in we flew over the AA maintenance hangar and flew above the vertical stab of an AA 747, about 30' above the tail, it was crazy.

We had the use of a taxi way to use as a runway at designated times.

We'd land and reach a certain point, get out and push/pull our tiny UL's in through the throngs of fans and into our respective tie down spots.

I really had some fans, we had a 500' ceiling during the whole fly in, and during our demo I would accelerate, lift off about a foot, accelerate all I could and haul back, I'd be at 500' (Mind ye that at full throttle she'd climb trying to hold her down) in no time, so folks were sure enough coming up to me and asking tone of questions.

I missed the Grand Champion spot by maybe one or two votes, and some folks were mad.

The GC was a Hurricane with a powder coated black and pink paint job and sat on a trailer 90% of the time.

It would not even try to start for the demo flights, many referred to it as a trailer queen that has probably never flown, I was happy with reserve GC.

Aaron Tirrell

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38976965

How has he retained his license that age ? Are the Aviation rules different in the US or can one have a license even at his age ?

The oldest Portuguese glider pilot in 90 yo, and still flying. He has a CAA license, because here in Portugal it would be difficult to get the Type 2 medical certificate.

Regarding the OP, I recall a TAP A340 landing at Sao Paulo Guarulhos  (SBGR) in 2006, on a taxiway...

Regarding the 737, probably he just became aware of it already over the rw. Probably the 737 taxied into that taxiway late during his "approach" ...

Age doesn't help, for sure, but it's certainly not the only factor - most accidents happen by "stupid" situations like this - and it can happen to anyone, specially on a single crew..., someone driving a car or a motorcycle,... preparing dinner, ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I for one old baby boomer due wonder at times about the airline seniority system in place since the Ernest Gan days. Is it really the safest system if the most fair to the pilots? When I graduated from the ATC Academy in OK City in 1977 and went to my first tower facility which was non radar approach control (khot) I felt I was a lot closer to the books as well as more alert and faster thinking then some of the old home steaders who seem to be stuck in out dated procedures and relied more on lazy habits. I had to do things their way and ask questions discreetly if I wanted my facility rating. Some of them were unsafe in a lazy way.

I think I have seen the same among some doctors. Sometimes the young grads are more up to date, talented, and ambitious then the old Doc Adams saw bones types.

Vic green

On the news this morning (GMA), they played the ATC recordings. His initial call was to the wrong tower, and he at first identified himself as "helicopter" then after a few additional stutters managed to call out the correct aircraft. His next transmission he'd forgotten to change frequency and again contacted the wrong tower...

It seems he was not having a very good day and sounded quite confused.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

According to his Wiki, he was own a helicopter but is located up in Jackson Wyoming.  Perhaps he had been up there earlier and flying it around Lake Jackson.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Sounds like disorientation , maybe he was smoking some

I guess when you have access to so many different types of aircraft you get confused, although not sure how one can mistake a Husky for a Helicopter. I would argue there is some cognitive issues going on and if he keeps flying by himself he is risking a serious accident. The sign of a good pilot is to know when it's time to hang it up! Or at least have another qualified pilot fly with you!