Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

XP10 and XP11 NOTAM---you'll probably want to read this...

I had a few newer airports that I have installed over the last week or so...KSMF, KMIA v6.2,KTVL, YCFS, etc...

....and even though I had every library 'out there' needed by them, already installed,....I had quite a few 'there were problems loading this airport, it may not look right'... yeah, you know the one..

Well...it very quickly donned on me, that there were probably new elements (updates) to all the library packages that some of the newer scenery was looking for...and was not in my present installation of such....

...spent two hours totally updating every library on the .org, with the result that all my airports, old as well as new (uploaded to the .org over the last 18 months) are now all loading in properly, with no 'sorry, you ain't gonna see it'....pop-ups.

I must say, that KTVL (Lake Tahoe) is simply strunning, when all the libraries are updated to whatever is upon the .org at this moment.

Yeah folks....you need to update all your libraries....new elements and improvments have been uploaded, and you most likely DO NOT have them all at this present time.

Just a head's up...especially for the XP 'newbies' that might not be familiar with the need to download stand-alone libraries to support your scenery and airport downloads.  Each download on the .org, will have a list of the libraries required by the scenery and/or airport property. For the newbies, you really do need to read all that is upon that listing, for proper installation.  XP is not like FSX/P3D, whereby all what you need, is in the download already.  XP is truly..custom...and the Dev's can draw from many, many texture and object libraries, when creating their works. They will then list all the libraries that they drew from, and that you will need to load into your Custom Scenery Folder, for that scenery and/or airport to properly load in fully, into either XP10, or XP11.

Cheers 'n beers,

Good flights,

Ses

• Upvote 2

You probably could have just said that there is also an installer at the org that takes the pains away of updating each one separately.  :wink:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/30252-x-plane-library-installer/

I get what you're saying though and unless you need to update the airports you have, for whatever reason, then yeah, update the libs too.  I too played that game, still get errors though, even with the latest libs, but the airports still show up just fine, so that puzzles me.

I like the fact that even though it's a pain in the fanny for the user to keep up with this, the devs at least, update their airports to incorporate better models, objects, etc. so you get improvements along the way, with just a download, extract and place method.  :smile:

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Thanks Ses. The same can and does happen in FSX/P3D, it just happens far less because most stuff is payware now :P

I think the overuse of libraries are a better of two evils. On one hand it lets devs make airports quicker, but on the other hand it makes life very difficult for users and airports still end up looking too generic.

Unfortunately most of the airports released require large amounts of libraries (many at different versions). Personally for me, whenever I see an airport that lists a pile of libraries I skip it (even if the screenshots look nice). I also had problems in the past when I used libraries in my own projects (Anyone who has used W2XP sceneries will know the issues with world-model versions, and the R2 library going dead). I've learned the hard way that it simply isn't worth it. 

Some libraries do actually allow freeware authors to just include the few models they want in their own packages. I highly recommend you do this if you can. Your scenery might be a few more MB to download, but really in this day and age it's nothing. Some libraries that I think allow this are MisterX's, world-models, and at one point the handy-objects library

• Upvote 1

Some libraries do actually allow freeware authors to just include the few models they want in their own packages.

Thanks Tony,

I hope that becomes the norm. I agree with your remarks

Jim Morgan

Personally for me, whenever I see an airport that lists a pile of libraries I skip it (even if the screenshots look nice).

I do as well. Very quickly, without much of a thought. There are far too many 'custom' airports in the .org library that are simply a quickly built airport with generic objects from a smattering of 3rd party libraries. I fail to see the point of those - just build a Gateway airport if you're going to do that, and live with the limited number of objects that LR provides. At least that way your work is built into the simulator, and helps to alleviate the 'x-plane has no airport scenery' complaints one hears from newcomers.

Where the object libraries shine is when they're used wisely by devs such as MisterX6, who avoids repeating his objects by using one library for all his airports. I have no problem downloading a single library such as that to support excellent custom scenery.

• Upvote 1

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I had a few newer airports that I have installed over the last week or so...KSMF, KMIA v6.2,KTVL, YCFS, etc...

....and even though I had every library 'out there' needed by them, already installed,....I had quite a few 'there were problems loading this airport, it may not look right'... yeah, you know the one..

Well...it very quickly donned on me, that there were probably new elements (updates) to all the library packages that some of the newer scenery was looking for...and was not in my present installation of such....

...spent two hours totally updating every library on the .org, with the result that all my airports, old as well as new (uploaded to the .org over the last 18 months) are now all loading in properly, with no 'sorry, you ain't gonna see it'....pop-ups.

I must say, that KTVL (Lake Tahoe) is simply strunning, when all the libraries are updated to whatever is upon the .org at this moment.

Yeah folks....you need to update all your libraries....new elements and improvments have been uploaded, and you most likely DO NOT have them all at this present time.

Just a head's up...especially for the XP 'newbies' that might not be familiar with the need to download stand-alone libraries to support your scenery and airport downloads.  Each download on the .org, will have a list of the libraries required by the scenery and/or airport property. For the newbies, you really do need to read all that is upon that listing, for proper installation.  XP is not like FSX/P3D, whereby all what you need, is in the download already.  XP is truly..custom...and the Dev's can draw from many, many texture and object libraries, when creating their works. They will then list all the libraries that they drew from, and that you will need to load into your Custom Scenery Folder, for that scenery and/or airport to properly load in fully, into either XP10, or XP11.

Cheers 'n beers,

Good flights,

Ses

Always useful as a reminder on these things, thanks!

i only install mr x airports, x-plane 11 already has airports that most of us would want by default. you can download some that are not included.from the link below, they work pretty good.

http://x-plane.cleverest.eu/

At the moment I am looking for new places to fly.... that looks like a very good link. Thanks!

You probably could have just said that there is also an installer at the org that takes the pains away of updating each one separately.  :wink:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/30252-x-plane-library-installer/

I get what you're saying though and unless you need to update the airports you have, for whatever reason, then yeah, update the libs too.  I too played that game, still get errors though, even with the latest libs, but the airports still show up just fine, so that puzzles me.

I like the fact that even though it's a pain in the fanny for the user to keep up with this, the devs at least, update their airports to incorporate better models, objects, etc. so you get improvements along the way, with just a download, extract and place method.  :smile:

Actually Jim, when you get the message, 'this airport and/or scenery might not look right (render)', it is basically telling you that there will be elements hangars, people, boats, cars, static aircraft, many things, that while, the airport and/or scenery 'will load out to completion' and allow you to fly out of it, it will not have all the visual elements that were designed into the airport and/or scenery.   

For instance, Lake Tahoe absolutely dropped me on the tarmac, with no XP crash...but, after I saw 'there were problems loading in KTVL, some scenes might not render right. Please see the error log for details'....the blue message screen that comes up before you are sitting at your chosen airport, I did a taxi around, and the airport looked well..er..good.  I then took the time to download all the updated libraries upon my system.

I then fired up KTVL post library updates to the latest versions, (XP11 B11), and got no blue warning screen. When it loaded in, and placed me at the same G.A. ramp position, my jaw dropped.  I was obviously missing HALF, the fantastic airport scenery that this beauty is.  Other G.A. static planes, commercial flights, 3-D people, hangars, fuel bars, DETAIL, DETAIL, and more DETAIL!

That is what you miss out on...there will be elements that are being called from custom libraries, and XP can't find what is supposed to be call-up, and rendered into the scene.  All of my 'problem/blue screen warning' airports, were totally transformed into more detailed, and fabulous properties...for all was now being placed and rendered as the Dev put into place within the scene.  Totally worth the time and trouble to update. Also....that all-in-one library installer, does not give you each and every library that you need.  Many Dev's has asked that their works not be included in such, and have been left out of the pool.  Just a head's up for ya...

I looked at all the properties, and then made a list of what libraries I needed to upgrade to the latest version...and got 'er done.  The result is fantastic....oh yeah!

Ses

Thanks Ses. The same can and does happen in FSX/P3D, it just happens far less because most stuff is payware now :P

I think the overuse of libraries are a better of two evils. On one hand it lets devs make airports quicker, but on the other hand it makes life very difficult for users and airports still end up looking too generic.

Unfortunately most of the airports released require large amounts of libraries (many at different versions). Personally for me, whenever I see an airport that lists a pile of libraries I skip it (even if the screenshots look nice). I also had problems in the past when I used libraries in my own projects (Anyone who has used W2XP sceneries will know the issues with world-model versions, and the R2 library going dead). I've learned the hard way that it simply isn't worth it. 

Some libraries do actually allow freeware authors to just include the few models they want in their own packages. I highly recommend you do this if you can. Your scenery might be a few more MB to download, but really in this day and age it's nothing. Some libraries that I think allow this are MisterX's, world-models, and at one point the handy-objects library

Tony...I 'read ya'.  Having said that though...having all the latest libraries, required for Lake Tahoe, I think about five or six of 'em...well...WOW...WOW...WOW...

This airport and ortho...is absolutely Orbx payware quality, or even higher.  I was missing over (I'd say), half of what is now at the airport, with older libraries that did not have the newer files, objects, elements, etc...to be called upon by XP.   I do now...and Lake Tahoe is simply...KILLER!

So, I read that some responding to this head's up thread,  just skip airports and/or scenery, that requires custom library downloads to support them. All I can say,...and from visual experience...is they are passing on by, pay-ware quality, and in some cases, even more detail that is in the high-end Orbx for FSX and P3D.  Lake Tahoe (KTVL) is one of 'em....wow....

Ses

Always useful as a reminder on these things, thanks!

At the moment I am looking for new places to fly.... that looks like a very good link. Thanks!

You're welcome.  Trust me...you WANT Lake Tahoe (KTVL) with its ortho underlay...just search for it on the .org

Whatever libraries it tells you, you must have, go to the library section of the downloads, and drop them into your Custom Folder. Totally worth the time and effort.  You could spend just half an hour at taxi around the airport in outside spot mode...viewing totally life-like detail.  :hi:  :Cuppa:

So will the final release version (non-beta) have these missing airports and scenery files? Will the airports in Alaska still be surrounded by water?

Terry

So will the final release version (non-beta) have these missing airports and scenery files? Will the airports in Alaska still be surrounded by water?

Terry

If you mean the libraries I mention, no...they are independent totally of XP.  They must be downloaded and placed into your Custom Scenery Folder, if stipulated by the Dev, whose scenery and/or airport you wish to run.

You get them all on the .org as well as the dev whose library it is, if they have a dedicated site to visit.

www.x-plane.org 

IIRC, Ben mentioned in one of the dev posts that they've figured out how to squeeze in the missing .dsf files for Alaska and Norway for the final release. 

If you don't want to wait for that, you can download the free HDv3 terrain mesh for those areas and it works fine (and will look better than the eventual XP11 mesh, in many areas). You might get a popup warning about missing scenery and how your airport will load in the water, but when the flight starts you'll be in the HDv3 terrain.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

So as I understand these posts, Laminar only provides the mechanical workings of the X--plane program and it is up to the user to find, buy,install all the missing scenery files? I can see not having every airport as 3D but to not even put in the ground around the Alaskan airports and any others that are too far north/south of a certain point is plain crazy. I would think that a "Flat" or generic terrain would be better than none

Terry

So as I understand these posts, Laminar only provides the mechanical workings of the X--plane program and it is up to the user to find, buy,install all the missing scenery files? I can see not having every airport as 3D but to not even put in the ground around the Alaskan airports and any others that are too far north/south of a certain point is plain crazy. I would think that a "Flat" or generic terrain would be better than none

Terry

Terry, XP11 is in Beta.  When it releases as a RTM, it will have all the files necessary to fly anywhere in the world represented by XP.  Until then, it is being released as a beta work-in-progress.  For some of what YOU might load into it, there are usually libraries that must be loaded in, for some download-by-user, scenery or airports, to render properly. It's a no biggy...all of what you need, can be found for free at xplane.org