Sign in to follow this  
Andreas Stangenes

p3d v3.4 native vr support?

Ive seen the claim here and there about p3d v3.4 has native vr support. Ive looked through my options in p3d but i cant see anything about vr. Is it true that this version of p3d has native vr support, and if so, how is it applied?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

It is but not very useful. You can't interact with controls with the mouse and can't do many other things. Basically you can fly the plane with a joystick and keyboard there is no mouse support. The visual quality is also not configurable so you can't optimise the VR graphics quality. I think to get VR working in P3D34 you just have to select the Oculus Virtual Cockpit in the views menu and put your VR device on. I'm not sure because I use Flyinside which is so much better in so many ways. The native VR is good to check that your headset is working though.

You need Flyinside to work in VR with P3Dv3

Default VR is just a camera view.  It is super fast but Flyinside adds a layer so there is little latency but you do get VR-SLI if you have SLI enabled in P3D. 

We all are in the ultra early phases of VR

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I'm interested in this as well just to compare because I'm also using FlyInside but I too never found out how to use the built-in VR support in P3D.

I did check my cameras but haven't found anything related to VR.

Richard Åsberg

Maybe I've just been blind but can't remember I've seen any menus in P3D for VR. Or maybe the reason is I'm back on P3Dv3.2 since I had it with 3.4 and all VAS issues introduced with that version of P3D.

Interestingly enough I do have 2 camera definitions in my cameras.cfg file related to Oculus.

Oh well, not a big deal since I'm more than happy with what FlyInside already is doing for the VR experience in P3D and can't wait for it to be even further improved :smile:

Both me and others have reported a number of suggestions over in FI's forum and I hope someone reads them despite the silent nature of that forum.

Richard Åsberg

So, how is the antialiasing with Oculus.  I've watched some videos and, to me, it looks really bad.  Also, can you read *anything*?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

If perfect AA and high resolution is your main soft spot VR might not be for you in this first generation where the resolution isn't even near what you get on a 4K screen using a fast GPU.

I came from a curved 48" 4K screen myself and sure I wish the resolution was better in VR but IMO the insane immersion of actually being inside the cockpit and for the first time being able to feel that you're actually flying the aircraft rather than just watching it on a 2D screen in front of you...that makes me forget about the bad resolution to at least 85-90%.

To answer your question I don't have any problem reading most of what I need in the NGX. What can be a bit hard is to read things such as a pre-set QNH for example that is very small and hard to read even on a 2D screen running high resolution.

I've read many threads regarding VR lately and seen so many questions about what it's like, how the resolution is etc and unfortunately the only real way to find out is to experience it yourself. Watching clips of YouTube where people have tried to give you a glimpse of what's it's like or listen to people like me telling you what it's like will never be able to let you know what it's really like.

I suggest getting a pair of VR glasses from a store where you're able to try them out and take them back if you're not happy. That's what I did and I think that is the best thing you can do considering the rather steep price on these products.

However compared to a new GPU if you want the latest/fastest one the price is pretty much the same and I would say the bang for the buck you get with a pair of Oculus Rift glasses for example in combination with the FlyInside software exceeds what you get with a new GPU by a couple of hundred percents.

Richard Åsberg

Thanks Rich.  I'm not quite on the fence about VR.  I still think it has a way to go and we might see some good things in the second generation.  Watching what Oculus said about higher resolution and needing more bandwidth + eye tracking, it may be 3 or 4 generations before we get 4K resolutions.  Still, it's very much worth keeping an eye on as it improves and I suspect the tipping points are coming.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Yep, I think we're in for an exciting future thanks to VR and everything that will follow in its footsteps.

Richard Åsberg

Right click anywhere on the screen and under views scroll down to VR and there you go.

You won't have FI's options, but with FI I have to dial back settings to almost nothing and still get OOM's, but with native VR I am flying in ORBX LOWI with the PMDG 737 and others with no OOMS.

Aaron Tirrell

On 4/1/2017 at 4:29 PM, caaront said:

Right click anywhere on the screen and under views scroll down to VR and there you go.

You won't have FI's options, but with FI I have to dial back settings to almost nothing and still get OOM's, but with native VR I am flying in ORBX LOWI with the PMDG 737 and others with no OOMS.

The OOMs have anything to do with FI reportedly being 32 bit?

BTW anyone running Native VR on MR headsets?

Seasons Greetings y’all.

Chas

• Upvote 1

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2