Sign in to follow this  
loafer87gt

Adaptive Half Refresh Rate V-Sync no longer working

I am just wondering if anyone has any idea why my Adaptive Half Refresh Rate vsync is no longer working in Prepar3d. Normally, I could just enable the feature in my Nvidia control panel and I would have a really smooth 30FPS with the in game VSync enabled and unlimited frame rate setting. Now, it seems like the sim is ignoring my Nvidia settings, and is running anywhere from 40 to 55 FPS, and there are noticeable stutters. I checked my Prepar3d application profile with both Nvidia Inspector and the Nvidia Control panel program listing, and everything is at their default values. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how to get this feature back working again, as it was so fluid before with the frame rate capped at my half refresh rate. I am running Prepar3d V3.4 with Hotfix 3.

Please note that I am running the game fullscreen, not in a window.

First I would check the driver version, windows 10 is forcing Nvidia drivers updates. Secondly, you shouldn't touch nvidia control panel because it will override IS. 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

I have tried both the newest Nvidia 378 driver, and the older 376 drivers from last year. Adaptive Half Refresh Rate does not seem to be working with either of them as my FPS are around 50 on the tarmac.

Please note that I am running the game fullscreen, not in a window.

Fullscreen or window matters nothing in P3D, as it is not full screen exclusive mode. It is a borderless window. This is important as it is NOT the same as FSX, FSX uses exclusive full screen mode, which if memory serves allows vsync to be on or off because the game has exclusive control of the display.  That was taken out of P3D some time ago I think in V2?

That being the case it is now dependent on your OS whether Vsync is on or not. If you are using Windows 7 and you have a basic theme ( Windows Aero not running ) then vsync will be off. To enable Aero pick a different theme other than basic. 

From Windows 8 and onward it is on all the time and can't be disabled.

Edit: have you tried changing the "global" setting in Nvidia control panel to force it to your liking? Maybe that will do it.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I have my global Vsync set to Adaptive Half Refresh rate. In every other game I have tested, this translates into 30FPS in game as I am running a 60 Hz monitor. Prepar3d also used to be locked at 30 FPS when this setting was enabled. Now, the program seems to be ignoring my Vsync settings. I have tried removing all my Nvidia drivers, cleaning out all my previous settings with Display Driver Uninstaller, and checking the clean install option and trying drivers back November of last year, but none of these seem to let my Vsync work again. I'm stumped.

Are you running Windows 10, Capt Speirs? I am wondering if it is maybe an OS update that has broken this functionality?

Are you running Windows 10, Capt Speirs? I am wondering if it is maybe an OS update that has broken this functionality?

Windows 7 Ultimate

Half refresh has never worked in p3d due to reasons stated above regarding true full screen. Any effect you think you had from it was placebo.

If you are looking for smoothing out, like it was possible with FSX, you might try running 31-32fps locked in the sim + vsync+tb enabled, 30,5 locked in the NI, and FFTF of 0.01 in prepar3d.cfg.

Additionally single display, maximum performance and shader cache off are recommended.

Half refresh has never worked in p3d due to reasons stated above regarding true full screen. Any effect you think you had from it was placebo.

This is correct.

Cheers,

Mark

OK, thanks guys. Maybe I did indeed have a frame rate limiter enabled under Inspector in the past. Was just wondering if something was up with my system!

Cheers!

Same here, this issue is driving my nuts!

I use NI to set 1/2 synch for x plane 11 all is good rock steady at 30 fps.

Next day boot up PC start Xplane and frame rate is from 30 upwards so stutters everywhere..just cannot find a solution anywhere.

Seems WIN 10 just overwrites the nvidia settings, the only way to correct is uninstall the drivers then reinstall then reset NI. Of course next day back to square one....also happened when I used p3d.

So very frustrating

Cheers Mark